Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518627 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #300 on: June 20, 2013, 05:00:47 am »

My two gaming pet peeves are not being able to find a way past DRM and not being able to install or run the game because of it either being too old or in a locale that I can't get to work with Applocale. I'm looking at you Thief and The Guild. I wanted to play the two of you so very bad but no matter what you just won't install on my machine unless I either downgrade my system to Windows 95 or make my machine somehow understand German without having to use Applocale.
That's not the fault of developers.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 20, 2013, 05:15:01 am »

My two gaming pet peeves are not being able to find a way past DRM and not being able to install or run the game because of it either being too old or in a locale that I can't get to work with Applocale. I'm looking at you Thief and The Guild. I wanted to play the two of you so very bad but no matter what you just won't install on my machine unless I either downgrade my system to Windows 95 or make my machine somehow understand German without having to use Applocale.

GoG to the rescue.

Thief Gold

The Guild

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 20, 2013, 06:38:32 am »

Ok here is one

SINGLE PLAYER PAY TO WIN
I don't care who does this, but this is honestly the most disgusting practice I ever seen! It is like taking advantage of people who don't know any better and I want to smack the developers whenever I see this! Selling in game currency for real life currency in a single player game? NO GAME! No Developers! This is one of the few Pet Peeves in gaming that make me furiously mad!

Cheat Expansions
So you have this game and I love it and love to play it a bunch and you hear an expansion is coming out. So you excitedly go out and buy it hearing about all this new content it added. You load it up and this content seems to just break the game. The game is now pathetically easy and any challenge the game had previously is gone. There is no effort to do even the most difficult of tasks. The Cheat Expansion is simply any expansion that makes the game easier without offering new challenges or dimensions of gameplay to balance this out.

In Game DLC References: AKA DLC Nagging... In Non-MMOs
So you are just playing the game normally and you just leveled up. You see three classes available even though you are only aware of two. You select the third choice and you get a pop up that says "DLC ONLY". You suppose that this is just a slip up so you go to the bar only to find that this whole building is a DLC only venue. Then you see a chest and the only way to open it is with DLC only keys. Well your immersion is shattered because the game never tried. Stop doing this developers! DLC should remain in the DLC section and not in the main game.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:45:27 am by Neonivek »

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 20, 2013, 06:40:25 am »

Ok here is one

SINGLE PLAYER PAY TO WIN
I don't care who does this, but this is honestly the most disgusting practice I ever seen! It is like taking advantage of people who don't know any better and I want to smack the developers whenever I see this! Selling in game currency for real life currency in a single player game? NO GAME! No Developers! This is one of the few Pet Peeves in gaming that make me furiously mad!
Why would this piss you off more than multiplayer P2W?
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 20, 2013, 06:46:33 am »

Because that makes logical sense at least and the people who buy that are people who want to have an edge over everyone else.

People who buy single player P2W are people who I feel have mental handicaps and should be protected.

I have a lot of respect for Paradox for at least having a bunch of different games... But man-o-man can they push my buttons... and I am not even referring to Crusader Kings (though it is still pretty bad... "YOU CAN'T PLAY HIM YOU NEED THE DLC!!! THE DLC THAT WOULD MAKE THE GAME BETTER!!! BY THE WAY DID YOU KNOW WE HAVE THIS NEW DLC? WE WILL KEEP TELLING YOU ABOUT IT UNTIL YOU BUY IT!").

Seeing as Paradox did all three of those very recently for me. Mind you the Cheat Expansion Kings is still "The Sims" expansions and the DLC Nagging outside of a MMO king is FF13/2 and Dragon Age. Paradox does win the single player PTW award though... Which pretty much until they redeem themselves puts them into the "scum" pile.

MIND YOU I don't think Paradox developed the game I am referring to. It is likely Paradox only published it, so I shouldn't blame them that the developers of that game are rip off artists.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 07:00:48 am by Neonivek »

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 20, 2013, 08:39:57 am »

I... Yeah. I hate PVP pay-to-win way more. I've played incredibly (weekdays sees maybe a hundred people on at once, most I've ever seen was maybe 700 but now it's nowhere close despite being more balanced nowadays.) small MMOs that did this, and it did irk me. Note that Cosmic Break is probably as balanced as it will ever be. I've got three builds I use commonly- a midrange tank with a bullet hose that's weak against stun-lock melee (everything is weak to that, get used to it) and shotgun-toting air types. On a good match the pure chaos I can cause by hosing down an air then PUNCHING someone who dares come close is nice, until I fight a "rare" melee machine one on one. My machine costs more to my team when it dies than those "rares". I also run a slow artillery with six different weapons on it, and a lightweight Air with two psyguns (bullets bend once to track enemies) and a lance. I am considerably underpowered as I do not use the rarebots. If I could reliably obtain one, that's one thing, but the only way to actually get them is to spend considerable amounts of mega-currency and hope.

Fucking Garapon
Don't get me wrong, I like spinning the wheel and all, but sometimes I'd like a bloody choice between items. Stick all the cosmetic, HD skin stuff in here, and let me be able to purchase the one-fucking-item I want at a reasonable cost. If your "one spin" is 40 mega-currency, sell the item for 50, and sell MOST OF THEM. "Rare" items I can see, but still, keep these actually rare, not all over the fucking place. An entire team of varied-but-totally-rare-machines pisses me off.

There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 20, 2013, 10:38:33 am »

Ok here is one

SINGLE PLAYER PAY TO WIN

For what it's worth, I have a friend who games a lot but is as far as it gets from competitive player. He even finds looking up guides to be extremely tiresome. Rather, he enjoys the game for the experience and the visuals. He also is getting serious about cosplaying.
This guy loves the extra cool paid-for weapons in games, such as what Dead Space 3 did (allegedly, yet to play it. scared by the seemingly dumbed down play)
So while I don't like it, what's wrong with giving players more stuff for more money? Not everyone wants to be challenged and frustrated, some people just want in on the ride.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 20, 2013, 10:40:14 am »

Bosses With Plot Armor

Happens all the time. You have a boss fight, but you can't kill them because they appear later in the story. Even if you get their health low, even if you KNOW you can kill them, it just advances to a cutscene. Last example I can think of is Kai Leng in ME3. That battle in the temple? I shredded his shield, and even a bit of his health. Then: lolgunshipnoob. So he recharges, shred him again... aaaaaand cutscene, in which he's predestined to mess you up.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 20, 2013, 10:42:39 am »

Bosses With Plot Armor

Happens all the time. You have a boss fight, but you can't kill them because they appear later in the story. Even if you get their health low, even if you KNOW you can kill them, it just advances to a cutscene. Last example I can think of is Kai Leng in ME3. That battle in the temple? I shredded his shield, and even a bit of his health. Then: lolgunshipnoob. So he recharges, shred him again... aaaaaand cutscene, in which he's predestined to mess you up.

RRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGEEEE!

Seriously, that right there. I hate scripted events that force sequences. Either react to my actions, or give me a good reason why you wouldn't.
Like Dark Souls. You eventually have to fight and die to an immortal boss, but he is actually immortal. You get to solve it and shatter it later while he tries to fruitlessly defend it.
Other enemies are so powerful, you have to fight them in a different way than you see initially to win (like the DLC dragon)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 20, 2013, 10:51:45 am »

Bosses With Plot Armor
Kai Leng

Ugh. In the last fight with him it's possible to splatter him with the right weapon. He still gets up and shuffles at you in the cutscene.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 20, 2013, 11:27:19 am »

Bosses With Plot Armor

Seriously, that right there. I hate scripted events that force sequences. Either react to my actions, or give me a good reason why you wouldn't.
Like Dark Souls. You eventually have to fight and die to an immortal boss, but he is actually immortal. You get to solve it and shatter it later while he tries to fruitlessly defend it.
Other enemies are so powerful, you have to fight them in a different way than you see initially to win (like the DLC dragon)

Exactly. Don't just give me the illusion of choice, don't give me the illusion that I can kill them. JUST LET ME DO IT.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 20, 2013, 11:38:09 am »

Bosses With Plot Armor

Exactly. Don't just give me the illusion of choice, don't give me the illusion that I can kill them. JUST LET ME DO IT.

Or, let it mash my face in with a plasma gun with an underslung demon thrower for a whole minute. Then let my character recover in some sewer, and spend the next two hours planning careful revenge that does NOT involve facing it in its own lair.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 20, 2013, 11:40:37 am »

The worst game for "Bosses with Plot Armor" is Tekken 6 (or 7 I forget)

The sheer number of times you will beat a boss only for them to just immediately run away, Pretend the fight was hard, or the WORST is Win is immense.

it is actually quite annoying... also you heard me right, you can beat up a boss handily... it switches to text and it turns out you lost the entire time.

So while I don't like it, what's wrong with giving players more stuff for more money? Not everyone wants to be challenged and frustrated, some people just want in on the ride.

Aren't you just explaining the problem in more detail? If I were your friend I'd be deeply insulted by the accusation.

"My friend can't be bothered to play, why shouldn't he be able to pay money to put a big you win sign in the game"

Tell your friend to stop buying games he clearly doesn't want to play and thus save his money from the rip off prices of Single Player Pay to Win DLC.

I'll actually stick with my assumption that your friend has diminished mental capacity over him actually seeing worth in those DLCs because "Ohh no the game is too hard!"
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 11:44:49 am by Neonivek »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 20, 2013, 11:44:32 am »

Aren't you just explaining the problem in more detail? If I were your friend I'd be deeply insulting by the accusation.

I don't think so; I discussed this with him, and he himself said he doesn't want the games to be stressful and that he gives up quickly if the game is too frustrating. This was in no way an insult to him, but rather something I have learned of other gamers. Made me understand and appreciate a LOT more of the gaming market.

I play everything on the hardest difficulty, and enjoy highly competitive games. That can be extremely stressful, and not everyone enjoys it.

EDIT for NINJAEDIT!
"My friend can't be bothered to play, why shouldn't he be able to pay money to put a big you win sign in the game"

Tell your friend to stop buying games he clearly doesn't want to play and thus save his money from the rip off prices of Single Player Pay to Win DLC.

No, either I said it wrong or you misread me. He enjoyed the game, AND enjoyed the paid guns even more. No need for that attitude.

THIS attitude -.-
I'll actually stick with my assumption that your friend has diminished mental capacity over him actually seeing worth in those DLCs because "Ohh no the game is too hard!"
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 11:46:33 am by CognitiveDissonance »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 20, 2013, 11:46:35 am »

I actually know what the DLC for Dead Space is... and while they are improvements they aren't what I am referring to.

This was in no way an insult to him, but rather something I have learned of other gamers. Made me understand and appreciate a LOT more of the gaming market

And has made me hate the market even more. Thank you CD's friend, your wanton disregard for your wallet has made Nag DLC more viable every single day.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 324