Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 517678 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2013, 09:21:46 pm »

Motion blur or camera wobble that can't be disabled.

As someone who misses out on so many wonderful games due to motion sickness, this really pisses me off. I don't care how much of a cinematic experience you want to deliver. You can't deliver it at all if I can't play the sodding game to begin with!
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2013, 09:22:42 pm »

As someone who misses out on so many wonderful games due to motion sickness, this really pisses me off. I don't care how much of a cinematic experience you want to deliver. You can't deliver it at all if I can't play the sodding game to begin with!

What about excessive Camera flare?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2013, 09:26:18 pm »

THIS.
I just got the Alan Wake game on Steam, and since I only have a laptop, I have to turn down every available graphics option.
You know what isn't one of those options?

The frickin' camera blur whenever you move the view half a centimeter.
Having to wait a whole minute for the game to load when you want to turn around is not fun.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2013, 09:27:25 pm »

But it makes perfect sense because Alan Wake is a hack writer who the world he is in treats like a master.

Of COURSE he would include motion blur in.

I mean... remember he wrote enemies who are basically just furniture flying at you constantly.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2013, 09:38:42 pm »

I disable motion blur in every game. Not because I get motion sick, not because my computer can't handle it, but because it's distracting and ugly. I don't care if you can simulate vaseline smeared all over my monitor, it doesn't mean you should.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2013, 09:41:39 pm »

I disable motion blur in every game. Not because I get motion sick, not because my computer can't handle it, but because it's distracting and ugly. I don't care if you can simulate vaseline smeared all over my monitor, it doesn't mean you should.
Unless, of course you get Vaseline dumped on you in-game.
The Derail Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2013, 09:47:50 pm »

"That's so cheap."

Translation:  "That strategy beats mine and I'm unwilling to devote effort to countering it."
Ah, them.

I always mention that they are free to use that tactic, too.

I don't know... I recognize that some tactics either are against the fun of the game or they severely limit the game.

It is why I don't do the Fox blaster strategy in Smash Bros. SURE it is a perfectly legitimate way to play the game, but it murders the fun. That is why it is so cheap.

Cheap being something that is Effective and unfun.

What was that you are playing magic the gathering and using an optimized legacy deck? Well while there are no rules against it, you pretty much just killed the game for everyone else. You are being cheap!

What was that? I can use the same deck too? Wow so we can both see if we can draw the combination of cards to win during turn 0?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2013, 09:52:50 pm »

Stupid Super Smash Bros. I'm so glad I stopped playing that series.

It started fights that you couldn't end in-game.

Also, people accused me of cheating way too many times.
The Derail Thread

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2013, 09:56:20 pm »

There are places where motion blur would make sense, but I have not seen a game where it's implimented where it makes sense. it's not for the camera panning around, it should be for object moving incredibly fast that the refresh rate of your screen can't pick up the change in position quickly enough. The best example I can think of would be tracer rounds for bullets, but most of the time those are highly exaggerated and not affected by your current FPS...

On the subject, I hate, haaaate Depth of Field in a majority of games. The game should not decide for me what my eyes should focus on, everything else will naturally be a little out of focus by simply not looking at it.

Ambient Occlusion is not quite so bad but distracting nontheless. The game makes objects pop out more by adding a black 'glow' around their edges. It's more complicated than that but that's the effect I usually perceive from it.

Oh yes, and how can we forget? Excessive bloom. Do I even need to say anything about it?

The thing about lens flares reminds me, Wolfire did something interesting regarding those a while ago. Unless you're viewing the game world through a camera or a piece of glass/visor/what have you then  lense flares are going to look quite different. If you've ever been driving/riding a train/whatever at night and looking out the windows you will notice the way the glass makes the lense flare look quite dramatic compared to when you're standing outside the car/vehicle and not looking through the glass pane. (EDIT: Ahem, I am referring to street lights here, and headlights from cars.)
The basic idea is to simulate the glare as a human eye would see it, instead of how a camera would see it. This means the glare has to be animated: the movements of the iris in response to bright light cause the diffraction streaks to change in subtle ways. Simulating an eye rather than a camera also results in a more grainy texture and a rainbow-colored lenticular halo, instead of the geometric internal reflections you normally see in camera flares.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:58:14 pm by OzyTheSage »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2013, 10:12:57 pm »

Note to self: Remember this thread so I know what not to do with the game I am going to try to program.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2013, 10:45:51 pm »

Spoiler: Wall-o-text (click to show/hide)
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2013, 10:50:19 pm »

Also sorry...

I mean EXCESSIVE Bloom

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2013, 10:58:51 pm »

EXCESSIVE BLOOM

That probably looks wonderful in the other not-dark theme.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2013, 12:58:45 am »

Adding features that have been around loooong long long before the current generation and counting them as selling points. Just from some of the games I have right here by my computer:

Resident Evil 4: Hit zone aiming system. It was a cosmetic effect in Goldeneye, and actually affected gameplay in Perfect Dark, both of which were N64 games. If you want to get technical, headshots have existed since the earliest 3D FPS games.

Medal of Honor Frontline: "Outsmart Highly-Trained SS Officers". First, this is the most patently false description of a "stealth" mission in living memory. Second, stealth gameplay has existed since Castle Wolfenstein (not the FPS, even older than that) waaaay back in the day.

Conflict Vietnam: "14 enormous missions in jungles, villages, temples, and underground tunnels". These are our levels. There are many like them, but these ones are mine.

And I share this video every chance I can possibly get.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 01:01:38 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2013, 01:26:58 am »

I don't think having or using certain technologies/concepts as selling points was supposed to imply they were the first game to do this. Particularly when those technologies/concepts are not all that common (eg the "Hit zone aiming system"), it still seems like a feature worth mentioning.

Super Mario 64 may have had fish that move out of the way of you before that game, but its still cool regardless.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 324