Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519225 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #4200 on: April 03, 2017, 04:47:46 pm »

This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: April 04, 2017, 09:21:22 am »

Last Stand of Uselessness

Some games have gotten around to implementing a system that when you are down and waiting for the AI or fellow players to revive you... you take out a side arm (or even use your primary weapon) and can help lay down some cover fire (Or in a few games even get a revive if you kill something) and maybe get a few kills in your last few moments before you die or are revived.

However, a lot of games seem to have this mechanic... even when the sidearm is weak, useless, or when being down makes it useless (such as enemies running past you anyway).

Why implement features you aren't going to follow through with? I mean maybe to give people something to do but why?

Even better is when they give you this feature... but where doing so is a bad idea (such as attracting attention when a fresh body has no aggro)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: April 04, 2017, 09:28:39 am »

Still better than lying around waiting for your dumb AI teammates/friends to revive you. You may not accomplish much, but trying to headshot zombies with a terrible pistol is better than just waiting.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: April 04, 2017, 09:35:45 am »

Still better than lying around waiting for your dumb AI teammates/friends to revive you. You may not accomplish much, but trying to headshot zombies with a terrible pistol is better than just waiting.

Actually killing a zombie with a headshot? You are giving the games I am referring to a LOT more credit.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4204 on: April 04, 2017, 09:41:31 am »

Actually killing a zombie with a headshot? You are giving the games I am referring to a LOT more credit.

Are you referring to Left 4 Dead???

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: April 04, 2017, 09:42:22 am »

No no no :P

I mean games where enemies are USUALLY brick freeken walls and the pistol is a peashooter... making the entire last stand entirely pointless.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4206 on: April 04, 2017, 09:50:51 am »

Mark of the Ninja's a pretty good example of not letting realism get in the way of gameplay - in world 2, the levels take place during a thunderstorm, and the player must take care not to be revealed when lighting strikes.

The thunder comes before the lighting, rather than after.

The special edition notes claim the developers have not received a single comment about this physical impossibility.
Do you happen to know their E-mail address?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: April 04, 2017, 10:02:24 am »

No no no :P

I mean games where enemies are USUALLY brick freeken walls and the pistol is a peashooter... making the entire last stand entirely pointless.

Speaking of that

peashooter pistols
Here's the thing about guns, they're dangerous. Here's the thing about gun calibers, they too are dangerous. Pistols aren't the weakest firearm and even the puniest calibered pistols are still dangerous against unarmored people. In the various armies in the world, the pistols and calibers thereof that are used take that into account and make sure that the bullets are still dangerous because otherwise the weapon is useless.

so for the love of christ, don't make the pistols in games the weakest weapon, incapable of doing any real damage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: April 04, 2017, 10:10:11 am »

Pistols can get up to ridiculous calibers... if you think the Desert Eagle is as high as it goes, ohh how naïve you are!

Mind you there are several good reasons why you don't want to use a very high caliber pistol... But when has videogames ever followed that line of logic? (Looking at you Minigun!)

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4209 on: April 04, 2017, 10:11:32 am »

That's something I really like about the Halo franchise, the pistol in that is useful throughout the running time of the game and not just forgotten about entirely the moment an assault rifle comes along.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: April 04, 2017, 10:42:34 am »

And in Halo 3, you can dual wield them!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4211 on: April 04, 2017, 10:48:19 am »

You could dual wield them in Halo 2 as well! There's only two or three in the entire single-player campaign IIRC, but still...
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: April 04, 2017, 10:54:07 am »

That's something I really like about the Halo franchise, the pistol in that is useful throughout the running time of the game and not just forgotten about entirely the moment an assault rifle comes along.

The M6 series of pistols from Halo is perhaps my favorite videogame pistol of all time. It's thoroughly badass, yet not OP. You can fuck a bitch up with one if you're competent. Headshots 4 dayz.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4213 on: April 04, 2017, 10:59:02 am »

A Spike Pistol from... Shift or something... was my favorite.

It starts off being a sort of standard pistol that is good because it had pretty great handling.

Yet late in the game the fact that it is also armor piercing... means that you can headshot enemies who have long since started using helmets (No weapon is rendered obsolete in that game, in spite the weapons getting more powerful... that is an impressive feat)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: April 04, 2017, 11:00:33 am »

There's a pet peeve... weapons being rendered useless by higher difficulty levels, poorly spread resources or ammunition, or just simple progression.
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 324