Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519239 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #4155 on: March 29, 2017, 09:00:29 pm »

Also, I wasn't emotionally defending Minecraft, I wasn't hurt or attacked or anything. I just literally did not understand how what you said (Minecraft requires external motivation) translated into your final point (requiring external motivation is a game design flaw on Minecraft's part).
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: March 30, 2017, 02:17:41 am »

That was very TL;dr.

Friendly advice: If you learned to write posts from bullshitting minimum-length-papers, my advice is to break that habit and learn to get your points across concisely. You can't convince anyone of anything if they won't read what you write.
I did tl;dr my point with my first post on the topic.

people didn't understand it even after I elaborated. So I went into it and explained in meticulous detail. Being concise is all well and good but it won't do you any good if people don't actually understand what you are saying.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: March 30, 2017, 11:50:30 am »

Fair enough. I haven't been paying attention to who has been saying what in this discussion (except that I can always tell if I'm reading something written by neo), so I didn't notice.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: April 01, 2017, 12:45:11 am »

No Selling

-For those who don't know, No Selling is when you take a blow but you completely ignore it or the affects of it.

I honestly think we have gotten to the point in videogames where No Selling start to be phased out. It is rare that games even try to make your blows feel like actual blows, for you to feel the weight of your sword, or the potency of your magic.

Yet goodness most games are just fine with no one really being affected by anything until they die. HECK awesome thing about Kirby Superstar is if the enemy was doing their really great attacks, you really would get blasted by it.

Don't get me wrong, I am not asking for people to ragdoll from the slightest breeze.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 01:01:03 am by Neonivek »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: April 01, 2017, 01:09:40 am »

Effects
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: April 01, 2017, 01:15:11 am »

@Neo
That might be something I like about Iji.  Most of the attacks (the ones that aren't minor scrape-damage) send you flying, and screaming.

Though that's often *useful* because the bonus content is largely platformer-puzzle, such that you need to intentionally get hit by things to reach secret areas.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: April 01, 2017, 02:30:37 am »

I'm going to argue for the opposite of what neon said and demand that Poise get fixed.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: April 01, 2017, 10:37:46 am »

Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 have flinching when hit, interrupting your aim.

Also, when common infected attack, they slow you down as well, and you also get slowed down if your health is too low.

Also, when I think of "No Selling" I think of being entirely immune to an attack, including the damage it inflicts. Maybe "No Flinching" or "Critical Existence Failure" (Yes, TvT is mentioned, don't murder me) would be a more fitting title for this phenomenon.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: April 01, 2017, 01:40:53 pm »

The one that got me was that STALKER: Real is Brown mod or whatever it was. Misery, maybe?

Three bandits attack you. You take a hit, start bleeding, have to find cover to patch up the bleeding, open a first aid kit, take antibiotics and spray on an antiseptic. once the bleeding stops, you pop out and shoot one bandit in his unarmored face three times.

He doesn't even stop firing. You're hit, you're bleeding. Time to stop the bleeding...
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: April 01, 2017, 02:18:06 pm »

This is why I love Soldier of Fortune. Shoot someone in the anywhere and they react screaming and reeling.

Also why I hate Soldier of Fortune 2. Because they got rid of it.

Though heck, even Doom and Wolfenstein 3D had enemies stun-flinch when they get hit. That some modern FPSes don't seems kind of lazy.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: April 01, 2017, 02:21:22 pm »

Hitstun was why the chainsaw was so damn good against Pinkies and their more advanced ilk.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: April 01, 2017, 04:05:39 pm »

The original DOOM actually had a value for flinching on hit. It would roll against that value and anything higher would cause a flinch. Pinkies had an extremely low value, so they'd almost always recoil, even from pistol shots. IIRC the Cyberdemon had the highest, with something like a 0.5% flinch chance per hit.

/uselesstriviafrommychildhood
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: April 01, 2017, 06:07:03 pm »

Also, when common infected attack, they slow you down as well, and you also get slowed down if your health is too low.

Also, when I think of "No Selling" I think of being entirely immune to an attack, including the damage it inflicts. Maybe "No Flinching" or "Critical Existence Failure" (Yes, TvT is mentioned, don't murder me) would be a more fitting title for this phenomenon.
I'd call it "Super armor", since that's how that thing is called in fighting games, and it's indeed super-annoying.
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: April 01, 2017, 06:31:38 pm »

I'd call it "Super armor", since that's how that thing is called in fighting games, and it's indeed super-annoying.

It has multiple names across a lot of games.

Yet I don't even mean lack of interruption or knockback alone which is why I didn't say "Enemy Super Armor". Just that enemies don't REALLY seem affected.

Ever played Mugen where someone clearly didn't put a lot of work into their character... so you do a big combo on them and their animation is just standing normally? Yeah...

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: April 01, 2017, 06:37:24 pm »

I'm a keyboard scrub who can't even properly pull off a HC of the Back or Forward variety (possibly because of a cheap/non-gaming keyboard, but maybe not), so I wouldn't even be able to tell the difference.

Because I wouldn't be able to pull off a combo in the first place.
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 324