Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 517576 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #2925 on: February 04, 2016, 08:57:49 pm »

Welp. I've been here six years, first time I've ever been sigged. I'd like to thank my agent, my family, chimichangas, and Eris, goddess of discord.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: February 04, 2016, 10:45:12 pm »

Not a real Sig. Try harder next time.
Lies!  All lies! He tells the truth, sire.  Thou speaks't the most deplorable falsehoods!
FTFY
FTFTFYFY
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: February 05, 2016, 12:25:17 am »

chimichangas, and Eris, goddess of discord.

Get out of my head
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: February 05, 2016, 06:26:54 pm »

The more I think about audio logs, the more I'm just baffled by how silly and ridiculous the entire idea is.

Spoiler: Big list (click to show/hide)
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: February 05, 2016, 06:44:23 pm »

Yeah audiologs make more sense for things that are supposed to have undercurrent information, like emotional states.
Consider though that it may be more time efficient for the character to do than all other alternatives because you can be doing something else (likely still related to lessen mental strain) at the same time.

Good catch though.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: February 05, 2016, 08:36:12 pm »

The bioshock ones did it well. And the whole idea is people really don't like stopping everything they're doing to read a chapter of someone's journal, so the extremely vast majority will just skip all reading possible.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: February 05, 2016, 08:51:03 pm »

The more I think about audio logs, the more I'm just baffled by how silly and ridiculous the entire idea is.
What game did all this to you? It sounds rather badly done, but I wouldn't blame the entire concept of audio logs for that.

I wrote answers for your big list, drawing from the two games I've played which had audio logs, System Shock 2 and Saints Row 4. Also real life a bit.

Spoiler: Big list with answers! (click to show/hide)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: February 05, 2016, 09:22:23 pm »

> Why would you leave an audio log?
> Listening to an audio log is slower than reading a journal entry
Except you can do other things while the audio log is playing, such as walking around, searching containers, fiddling with your inventory... (I think they keep playing in SS2, unless I'm misremembering)

That was an in-universe problem :P I have a one-track mind, I know that I can't listen to one thing while doing another thing with my hands.

I was mostly thinking about Doom 3 and Warhammer 40k Space Marine. Although in Space Marine it's less egregious, because the audio logs are mostly optional. Doom 3 was the first time I'd ever seen the concept, so maybe it left a bad impression on me.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: February 05, 2016, 09:46:26 pm »

If you want to see audiologs done right, check out Bioshock 1 and SOMA. There are some downright chilling audiologs in those games.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: February 06, 2016, 12:02:30 am »

Audio-logs are done mostly for ease because they are easier to do and hand in then written logs are.

They aren't silly they are just... really oddly used.

For example in Star Trek they use both written (mostly for reports) and audio logs.

---

My favorite nonsense audiologs though are from Fallout 4

DEAR SWEET CHRISTMAS!!! do they have the greatest noise canceling technology known to men, women, and only a select form of chickens!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: February 06, 2016, 12:32:04 am »

I was digging through my Steam backlog, thought I'd vent here.

Spiteful, petulant developers

"Oh, you want a quality of life change? Here's the shittiest possible implementation we could come up with. We hope you choke on it."

A while back I bought the Rise of the Triad 2013 reboot, and it was awesome. For about an hour. There's one crippling flaw that drove me from the game for more than a year: the save system. They used a checkpoint system like archaic consoles used to use (the game was never released on consoles, nor to my knowledge was it ever intended to do so). If you haven't played RotT, there's generally a lot of secrets in each level for you to find, so you're rewarded for exploring a decent amount.

The checkpoint points are one-use.
There are typically 2 to 3 per entire level.
There are fairly regular traps that will one-shot the player.
There are first-person platforming segments.

In short- unneeded frustration especially when the original 1995 version had save-anywhere. People bitched up a storm, and finally sometime several months later the devs added quicksave. People rejoiced, until they played it.

You have one quicksave slot. Ever.
It is unlabeled, does not take a screenshot of where you saved.
You cannot load from the main menu.
The feature released broken, sometimes resurrecting all enemies on a level, sometimes closing and locking previously unlocked doors.

So I guess that stays uninstalled, then. I can think of a couple other examples but this is the worst offender I've seen in a while.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: February 06, 2016, 12:33:45 am »

Here's a pet peeve:
EVERY TIME I HEAR THIS AND IT ISN'T WARCRAFT II

That's just the sound clip on youtube. Maybe you'll recognize it. Maybe not.

It's fucking bizarre to be watching something on TV, and the camera pans past a real actual farm and there goes the SOUND EFFECT for a PIG FARM from WARCRAFT II. What, the real pigs weren't loud enough for you? Surely there's more than one pig sound effect you could use! :(

Oh, and the sound effect for when a spell fizzled in Ultima Online - there was a monster on Buffy that used that same sound effect, but I've only heard that 2 or 3 times in 20 years as opposed to over half a dozen for the "oink oink OINK" sound effect.

Maybe the people selling and buying the sound effects just assume that nobody's hearing and/or memory is good enough to actually notice when they're re-used... Maybe my standards for sound re-use are too high because I remember sounds and things forever. I don't know.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: February 06, 2016, 03:56:04 am »

Many times developers or movie sound effects producers use "famous" sound effects.

For instance, the Wilhelm scream. I've heard it in TV series, movies and games. I'm not sure why they do it. I guess it's a type of easter egg for the in-crowd?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: February 06, 2016, 03:59:40 am »

Welp. I've been here six years, first time I've ever been sigged. I'd like to thank my agent, my family, chimichangas, and Eris, goddess of discord.
Chiming in to agree that yes, chimichangas are awesome.
As if burritos weren't great enough to begin with... ahhh no, now I'm hungry.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: February 06, 2016, 04:55:36 am »

I can agree with the sound effects peeve. One very good example is the "Source Engine Creaking Door Sound".

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 324