Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 517895 times)

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #1980 on: May 04, 2015, 06:18:44 pm »

Part of the reason I played Skyrim and Oblivion as a kleptomaniac thief was because it felt like a believable kind of bad guy.  My characters weren't malicious some much as they were callous and greedy.

I often play as a vampire for the same reason. The guards sleeping in the barracks are often found dead in large groups because of that >:J. I guess I could also go around stealthily killing citizen for fun, but then I might loose quests and I would get nothing in return.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: May 04, 2015, 06:23:22 pm »

I don't consider Skyrim to be a game with any moral choices or consequences. You can steal literally everything someone owns and they won't suffer at all from it.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: May 05, 2015, 11:32:44 am »

I don't consider Skyrim to be a game with any moral choices or consequences. You can steal literally everything someone owns and they won't suffer at all from it.

I guess you're right, another similar thing I've noticed in the game is that npcs you kill respawn after 30 in-game days, rendering murder almost completely harmless. Do you know any game where stealing like that have an impact? (Except games where stealing is the main goal, of course.)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: May 05, 2015, 12:11:03 pm »

Braindead morality

I was playing Fallout 3 the other day and I have to say I hate how stupid the morality system is. The only way to be evil in this game is to be a brain dead jerkass who takes every opportunity to insult or cause harm regardless of the risks to his own safety. I want to play as a manipulative bastard or a backstabber, not a school bully.

I wish video games in general didn't have such a childish view on morality.

Yeah, I hate that too. Also, you have to go out of your way to be "evil" and most of the time it doesn't even benefit you. In most games being "good" gets you more money and perks, and it's much easier. This is because how "evil" is defined (you must blow up shit and murder to become "evil" simple bad stuff won't get you anywhere).

Add to that the fact that reckless vigilantism is defined as "good"

I guess you're right, another similar thing I've noticed in the game is that npcs you kill respawn after 30 in-game days, rendering murder almost completely harmless. Do you know any game where stealing like that have an impact? (Except games where stealing is the main goal, of course.)

It has an effect in the morality system of the Fallout games, although not a significant one.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: May 05, 2015, 02:27:57 pm »

I guess you're right, another similar thing I've noticed in the game is that npcs you kill respawn after 30 in-game days

Only generic ones like guards.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: June 11, 2015, 01:59:50 am »

I despise it when games make you sit through several minutes of doing literally nothing at the beginning of each new game before you can even get to the tutorial. Skyrim and Half-Life are particularly guilty of this. Just because we have time to play computer games doesn't mean that our time is completely worthless.

I think I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 02:02:26 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: June 11, 2015, 05:04:37 am »

I despise it when games make you sit through several minutes of doing literally nothing at the beginning of each new game before you can even get to the tutorial. Skyrim and Half-Life are particularly guilty of this. Just because we have time to play computer games doesn't mean that our time is completely worthless.

I think I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating.

Skyrim, FO3, and New Vegas all make saves for you right at chargen or the tutorial's end, which you can load next time to skip the intros and just make a new character. Granted there are a few minor FO3 plot things before that save point but really why bother letting Amata's asshole dad live anyway? Half-life literally has no character options, so there's nothing keeping you from saving right after the intro anyway.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: June 11, 2015, 10:07:06 am »

Speaking of Skyrim, why do ghosts leave regular red blood on your sword? Why does this irritate me so much?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: June 11, 2015, 10:36:45 am »

Lens flare in games where you aren't playing as some kind of robot. My eyes aren't cameras, so why the hell am I getting lens flare?

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: June 11, 2015, 11:53:39 am »

cuz its more cinematic that way duh

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: June 11, 2015, 01:33:25 pm »

Wrong thread. HOW EMBARASSING
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 01:36:05 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: June 11, 2015, 03:01:58 pm »

List of confirmed "cinematic" features:
1. Lens flare
2. Chromatic aberration
3. 30 FPS or less
4. Quicktime events
5. Color wash, preferably blue and/or orange
6. Letterboxing

Presumably combining all of these would finally get games respected as art!
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: June 11, 2015, 03:37:04 pm »

List of confirmed "cinematic" features:
1. Lens flare
2. Chromatic aberration
3. 30 FPS or less
4. Quicktime events
5. Color wash, preferably blue and/or orange
6. Letterboxing

Presumably combining all of these would finally get games respected as art!

Nah, these aren't there for the cinematic effect, rather they are proof that every single playable characters in every game are secretly androids. :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: June 11, 2015, 03:45:59 pm »

Ok now I could put games that feel excessively on rails... but honestly if a game is good enough the rails actually become more of an advantage then anything... but...

Games where you play a freeken moron and you can't do anything about it because you are on rails

HEY BIOSHOCK INFINITE!!!

Seriously you will never find a DUMBER universe or protagonist then in Bioshock infinite except on purpose. Diablo 3 the dumb plot was hilarious by Bioshock infinite it is just painful.

We are the evil congregation of charity workers!

Wow Bioshock Infinite I never thought you could inspire me so. So in the game there are these people who dress up like a cult, have evil cult powers, and are just rather creepy and unsettling.

So they must be some sort of cult right? Some secret society or arcane wizards... NOPE! they are essentially ordinary citizens.

Basically this pet peave is when a group cloaks themselves in evil trappings in spite there never being a reason to other then "it looks cool on screen".

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: June 11, 2015, 04:24:08 pm »

Games where you play a freeken moron and you can't do anything about it because you are on rails

HEY BIOSHOCK INFINITE!!!

Seriously you will never find a DUMBER universe or protagonist then in Bioshock infinite except on purpose. Diablo 3 the dumb plot was hilarious by Bioshock infinite it is just painful.

That's something I really can't stand, but luckily for me I haven't encountered that too often. Sometime I wish I had smarter options in dialogue trees, kinda like how a stupid character will only be able to say stupid things in fallout, but with smart ones instead.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 324