Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 517590 times)

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 11:56:12 am »

Enemies that level up with you.
remember the good ol days where certain dungeons had more powerful enemies and some have weaker enemies, instead of them all matching you in power every goddamn time?

I just want to second this.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 11:58:42 am »

I'd like to add a general counter to a lot of these-- I'd take them if there was a justified, narrative reason.

Quest compasses? Oh sure, I've got a portable computer and we attached a tracker to the bomb, just in case.

Why am I walking so slo--- oh right, I'm a decrepit old man.

Lack of health bars? Wasn't there some game where your "health" was "mental health", and the lower it got, the more ghosts and stuff you'd see?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 12:00:45 pm »

Sexist/racist/x-ist game design
No I don't want all my protagonists to be buff, white, hetrosexual cismen. A guy with half the shoulder width and a lisp can fight too, so can women and people that are not white or tanned. Women, gays, transsexuals, non-white people, where the effing eff with a sprinkle of extra eff are they?

Toxic players/fans
I like playing multiplayer games. I don't like to hear the minute details of my sister's sexual escapades, nor do I like to be told what my sexuality is, or that I'm too efiminate to wield a mouse & keyboard. If you're going to insult me, at least use something original and don't drag others down in the process.

Unnecessary obfuscation and complication
If your game's core mechanics are good, there's no need to bolt stuff on that only makes it harder to enjoy the core mechanic. If your game's core mechanics are not good, no amount of bolting on is going to help it. Do a few things and do them well.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 12:06:16 pm »

Monotonically decreasing average game quality

Monotonically increasing average game price

Monotonically decreasing average Quality/Price
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 12:07:06 pm »

Lack of health bars? Wasn't there some game where your "health" was "mental health", and the lower it got, the more ghosts and stuff you'd see?
Amnesia, I think.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 12:08:24 pm »

Amnesia, I think.
yea. although it wasnt really ghosts you saw.
it just became harder to see in the dark and you saw bugs and crap.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 12:16:18 pm »

Elaborate instead of using meaninglessly broad terms so that this makes sense? please?
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 12:18:20 pm »

Amnesia, I think.
Still, it was quite novel. Something the gaming industry needs.

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 12:24:27 pm »

Amnesia, I think.
the second amnesia comes out soon too.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 12:25:09 pm »

Amnesia, I think.

Eternal Darkness did the same thing but a lot more, though you had a health bar as well...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2013, 12:32:20 pm »

PTW.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2013, 12:37:09 pm »

Interplay between phones or tablets. Smartglass can fuck off, because until I have three fucking hands and the money for yet another data plan, I'm not buying into that garbage. Who has TIME for that shit anyway?
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 12:40:32 pm »

timed button press mini games. You know, the times when your action game goes into slow motion and somehow you can climb and slay the giant because you respond and press the x button, then the y button and then mash the b button all while in slow motion. It's a sort of interactive cut scene that should have just been a cut scene.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2013, 12:43:22 pm »

timed button press mini games. You know, the times when your action game goes into slow motion and somehow you can climb and slay the giant because you respond and press the x button, then the y button and then mash the b button all while in slow motion. It's a sort of interactive cut scene that should have just been a cut scene.

Ugh, this. I miss out on the cool animation because my view is focused on what the next button will be. They do realize that the human brain can't take in both at once, right?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2013, 12:44:56 pm »

Elaborate instead of using meaninglessly broad terms so that this makes sense? please?
If f(t) is a function (game quality, game price or Quality/Price) of time t, then f(t) is monotonically decreasing iff for all t1 and t2 where t1 < t2 and f(t1) >= f(t2)

YMMV, but it's just a trend I've noticed over the years (on consoles at least). Might be rose-tinted glasses, as well.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 324