Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Workshop management  (Read 662 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Workshop management
« on: June 11, 2013, 05:10:00 am »

I'd like to see a toggle for the managerial workshop profiles: select dwarfs to _forbid_ them from working in a specific shop, as alternative to the current setting which only _allows_ the dwarfs selected. The option will probably not be used very often, but e.g. for looms dedicated to web collection, my main focus isn't on who should work there, but rather who shouldn't - like the mother of ten underage children, who'd trample between 2/3 and 3/4 of all webs. Going through the long list and allowing everybody apart from the 'undesirables' just feels clumsy.

And while i'm at it, i'd also like to show linked stockpiles (with stockpile ID number) in a workshop's menu. This would make it much easier to keep track of production/hauling chains, because it's the workshops whose behaviour is restricted by the links, while the links themselves are only listed at the stockpiles, and very unspecifically - 'gives to magma smelter' isn't that informative when you have three of them.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Workshop management
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 08:13:55 am »

The former seems relatively simple--the current system seems to cause the selected dwarf to go on the "Allowed" list and the others to go on the "Not Allowed" list for the first one. If the display isn't deceptive, it would be simple to add another command to do the opposite.
Part of me cynically doubts this, however.

the second is sensible and falls under "UI Enhancements."
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.