Advanced search  

Poll

So, when will this start up again?

Abandon Ship - all hope is lost...
Our Necromagicks have failed us!
Next year...
Next quarter...
This quarter?!
Never - The GM is just playing with you!

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 37

Author Topic: (ISG) You are a bound familiar  (Read 47010 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) You are an unbound familiar
« Reply #225 on: June 18, 2013, 11:24:34 pm »

I'll freely admit not knowing how 40k daemons work, but I don't think we're much like a possessed person. For one thing, we haven't gone on any rampages or anything.
Attempt to incite a riot for fun and profit says hi. Plan to set fire to the town for fun and profit says hi. Theft of large sums of money from civilians says hi.
And yet, much of the town is unaware of us. I think a proper rampage would involve more, y'know, rampaging.
And that says more about Bay12 than the familiar.

While we're on the subject of 40k...remember why the young Techpriests (or whatever they're called) are the conservative ones? They don't live to be old.
Wat?
I read somewhere or another that...Inquisitors, maybe?...some Imperial position, the young ones stick to the book and the older ones tend to be more liberal. The explanation basically boils down to non-hereditary natural selection.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 18, 2013, 11:46:51 pm »

While we're on the subject of 40k...remember why the young Techpriests (or whatever they're called) are the conservative ones? They don't live to be old.
Wat?
I read somewhere or another that...Inquisitors, maybe?...some Imperial position, the young ones stick to the book and the older ones tend to be more liberal. The explanation basically boils down to non-hereditary natural selection.
[/quote]
Huh? That's the exact opposite of the Imperium. Innovation gets you disemboweled there.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 18, 2013, 11:55:06 pm »

U-huh. Not to be a miser, but take that discussion elsewhere please. Unlock sometimes tomorrow. >>

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 19, 2013, 09:25:08 am »

I am not a huge fan of hiring a thief, but, given that we are here, I suggest sticking to our guns. We have no intention of revealing ourselves. If they aren't willing to work with that, then the illusion apologises for wasting everyone's time and then vanishes after we vacate the premises. If the thief spreads the word that someone is looking for the amulet, then that can only serve to make the amulet more difficult to transport...
Seconding this. I would think that somebody in his profession would understand the need for discretion.
Soaplent green is goblins!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 19, 2013, 09:37:36 am »

Well, I believe he's worried more about being paid with illusionary silver.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 19, 2013, 11:51:31 am »

Well then, should I mention that i have rolled the heroes intentions quite some time ago? ;3
How to handle that one, how indeed.

Spoiler: Indezi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Abilities (click to show/hide)
No, trusting such a scoundrel with your true identity would undeed be unwise - you sneak away while letting the illusion say something about consulting the matter with your own client first, and a curt apology before vanishing.

Since you have no other things in mind, you set out to get something to eat, and soon are able to find a nice treat. Poor cat seems to have been hit by a horse or something, and did not make it far - now if you only had some honey on you, it would really be a feast. It's very filling either way.
+15 Sustenance

You stroll towards the market, the dusk easing the whole matter by a fair amount, but some kids come upon you during their play. They really seem to be the curious sort, with your appearance not dampening their curiosity - one growl from you does send them away however, and you quickly leave the scene. Arriving at the market, you look out for any kind of opportunities, and the intense fight of two stallowners presents you with a nice boost.
+2 MP

At some point in the late evening, you suddenly feel sick - and it is not about the cat, as far as you can tell. You are able to drag yourself into an alley, while numbing pain wrecks your body, your mana running a bit wild in the progress. The aftermath is that you are a bit weakend, and you very much doubt that it could be anything but someone tampering with your amulet.
-1 max MP

You remember the adventurers visit to the enchanter, and conlude that the sorceress has made some kind of move. The hunch proves to be correct, as you travel by the keep you can feel that she has expensed most of her mana. You really should have felt such a disturbance, but conclude that you "did" feel it - just way more directly. While Master did put a lot of time and effort into the pendant, with that much mana a banishing spell or similiar ought to have more of an effect. You are unsure if she failed her spell, but as it seems like she won't leave you alone for those three months that you ought to have left, you start to consider your options. Limited as they may be, you do not really wish to make it easy on her.

Spoiler: Current Status (click to show/hide)

Extraplanar Soul - Demonic

Without your trusty pendant, you are just not truly complete. Your flow of mana is messed up, resulting in possible miss-casts or out-of control spells.

That sorccerous wench seemingly has done something to your beloved juwelery. It is unclear what, but for the time being you have even less mana, an effect that just might strengthen over time, should you leave the matter alone.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #231 on: June 19, 2013, 12:04:42 pm »

1. That's a crappy researcher, and adventurers are rarely research scientists.
2. They know the mage is dead. How couldn't they? And the demonic bits are the basis of the sob story.
2a. I still don't see why we should follow it, or why the humans would automatically assume we would if we gave them clear evidence to the contrary.
3. Every race has exceptions. The adventurers should know this, if they're experienced to take down a moderately powerful mage. After all, you can't take out a goblin fortress without an inside man or an army, and adventurers lack the latter.

And what use do they have for it [the amulet], anyways?

(Appeal to the one sole 'good' member of the party.)
1. Implying crappy researchers don't exist. Implying mage adventurers don't research things. Implying thief adventurers don't know any 'researchers' that would pay.
2. Your 'clear evidence' consisting of our word, and all of 5 minutes of good behavior. Following our master's wishes of vengeance just so happens to coincide with our own goals. Actually, they don't, since we're just trying to get our amulet back, not kill the adventurers.
3. Should know this? What about killing a heretic mage implies a deep understanding of other cultures? Implying a close-minded adventuring group can't be good at what they do. For your example, an inside man could likely be acquired with coin, and would hardly go against any negative goblin stereotypes.

Keeping their new mascot in line.

And if we can't get to them first, or we miscalculate them, we wind up enslaved, vivisected & dead. Also, if the other two are murderous bastards, why is the good person hanging around with them? Shades of grey. They're most likely going to be adventurers for profit, probably (as others have said) with religious ties, and sure if we do it right they might adopt us, but again the only real outcomes: ENSLAVEMENT, because we have legs and it would be stupid to hand us our chain. SOMETHING WORSE, like vivisection. Because honestly, talking about adventuring party composition: the group of murderous thugs would be a lot more successful than a group of airheads, and that's what we'd need to be able to walk out of that situation with our amulet.

ACTIONS!
+1 to RAMs. As for silver, 'I'm not going to be revealing myself, but I pay with real silver' toss the sack on the table, assuming we're in the same room. 'Consider that a downpayment if you accept'. I don't see why we can't play the role of a magician intrigued by a demonic amulet- would explain why we don't want to be dealing with the adventurers directly, if it got the last guy killed.

/ninja'd. Edit incoming.

:I
Fire the town.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 12:10:55 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 19, 2013, 06:31:40 pm »

It looks like allying with the adventurers is out of the picture if they react to the bit of demon-ness on our amulet with what seems to be trying to dispel it.
I have though of something we might investigate before just setting fire to the town and hoping for the best though. Food and supplies need to get into the castle somehow, so it might be worthwhile to check whether we can make use of our small size to smuggle ourself into the castle.
Soaplent green is goblins!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 19, 2013, 09:43:23 pm »

1. That's a crappy researcher, and adventurers are rarely research scientists.
2. They know the mage is dead. How couldn't they? And the demonic bits are the basis of the sob story.
2a. I still don't see why we should follow it, or why the humans would automatically assume we would if we gave them clear evidence to the contrary.
3. Every race has exceptions. The adventurers should know this, if they're experienced to take down a moderately powerful mage. After all, you can't take out a goblin fortress without an inside man or an army, and adventurers lack the latter.

And what use do they have for it [the amulet], anyways?

(Appeal to the one sole 'good' member of the party.)
1. Implying crappy researchers don't exist. Implying mage adventurers don't research things. Implying thief adventurers don't know any 'researchers' that would pay.
2. Your 'clear evidence' consisting of our word, and all of 5 minutes of good behavior. Following our master's wishes of vengeance just so happens to coincide with our own goals. Actually, they don't, since we're just trying to get our amulet back, not kill the adventurers.
3. Should know this? What about killing a heretic mage implies a deep understanding of other cultures? Implying a close-minded adventuring group can't be good at what they do. For your example, an inside man could likely be acquired with coin, and would hardly go against any negative goblin stereotypes.

Keeping their new mascot in line.
1. True, but if the adventurers cared they'd get a good researcher.
2. Our goals are "Get the amulet, not die". The adventurers should be able to realize that. There's no real reason for us to kill them. Why does everyone else seem to want to do so, anyways? It's not like Master showed any kind of affection for us.
3. Not heretic, evil. In any case, being willing to work with goblins shows that they are willing to work with stereotypically evil beings, which is good for us. And I'm not implying that close-minded groups can't be good at what they do, I'm stating that they'd be worse (and, in most fantasy worlds, atypical).
4. Keeping a corpse in line isn't worth much.

And if we can't get to them first, or we miscalculate them, we wind up enslaved, vivisected & dead.
And if we don't try, we end up dead anyways.

Also, if the other two are murderous bastards, why is the good person hanging around with them?
The same reason adventuring parties of greatly differing alignments always stick together.
And the good person doesn't need to be an angel, just not a devil.

Shades of grey. They're most likely going to be adventurers for profit, probably (as others have said) with religious ties, and sure if we do it right they might adopt us, but again the only real outcomes: ENSLAVEMENT, because we have legs and it would be stupid to hand us our chain. SOMETHING WORSE, like vivisection. Because honestly, talking about adventuring party composition: the group of murderous thugs would be a lot more successful than a group of airheads, and that's what we'd need to be able to walk out of that situation with our amulet.
And the worst that happens? We escape when it turns out they're untrustworthy.
Glide. Walk. Whatever.

ACTIONS!
+1 to RAMs. As for silver, 'I'm not going to be revealing myself, but I pay with real silver' toss the sack on the table, assuming we're in the same room. 'Consider that a downpayment if you accept'. I don't see why we can't play the role of a magician intrigued by a demonic amulet- would explain why we don't want to be dealing with the adventurers directly, if it got the last guy killed.
Can't argue with this.

:I
Fire the town.
Wha?

It looks like allying with the adventurers is out of the picture if they react to the bit of demon-ness on our amulet with what seems to be trying to dispel it.
While I agree that this is likely, I'm not convinced enough to discount an alliance. They could have just been experimenting with it.

I have though of something we might investigate before just setting fire to the town and hoping for the best though. Food and supplies need to get into the castle somehow, so it might be worthwhile to check whether we can make use of our small size to smuggle ourself into the castle.
Why does everything end with Bay12 trying to burn everything?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 19, 2013, 09:51:42 pm »

Well, I am returning to plan, umm, B? The one where we buy some pigeons, tie them to a platform, and ride them to an altitude sufficient to glide into the fortress. Substitute in a hot-air balloon if such things exist, or just pay a drunk ogre to throw us... Once inside we can try the stealthy pickpocket thing...

And the good person doesn't need to be an angel, just not a devil.
Why does everything end with Bay12 trying to burn everything?
But we 'are' a devil...
Magma?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 19, 2013, 09:55:09 pm »

We may be demonic, but that doesn't mean we are Evil in our behavior.

And demon =/= devil.
Sig

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 19, 2013, 10:30:20 pm »

2. Our goals are "Get the amulet, not die". The adventurers should be able to realize that. There's no real reason for us to kill them. Why does everyone else seem to want to do so, anyways? It's not like Master showed any kind of affection for us.
We don't, really, we're just saying they're going to expect us to. Familiar, remember?

3. Not heretic, evil. In any case, being willing to work with goblins shows that they are willing to work with stereotypically evil beings, which is good for us. And I'm not implying that close-minded groups can't be good at what they do, I'm stating that they'd be worse (and, in most fantasy worlds, atypical).
What makes you think he's evil, apart from working with demons, which would paint us as just as evil?

Well, yes, assuming that we say "well, we can't befriend the adventurers, I guess we'll just have to give up, curl up, and shrivel up.

Glide. Walk. Whatever.
... Yes, because they'll totally just let us get away.

Perhaps not, but we are anyway (see: attempting to cause riot, shoplifting).

And demon =/= devil.
In this setting? How do you know that?
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 19, 2013, 10:35:09 pm »

We don't, really, we're just saying they're going to expect us to. Familiar, remember?
a. This seems to be what many people are assuming we're doing, which is what I was referring to.
b. Simple response: "Why would we do that? He's dead, he can't hurt us." Aside from the obvious, it implies an unwilling relationship between master and familiar (technically true, but you know what I mean...)

What makes you think he's evil, apart from working with demons, which would paint us as just as evil?
Someone who works with demons has a choice. Someone who was born a demon didn't.

Well, yes, assuming that we say "well, we can't befriend the adventurers, I guess we'll just have to give up, curl up, and shrivel up.
We can't exactly defeat the adventurers without a lot more power, and trickery pretty much requires more illusive power. Power requires amulet, key behind door.
In any case, you didn't explain what we have to lose.

Glide. Walk. Whatever.
... Yes, because they'll totally just let us get away.
They don't have to.
Remember, fighting to not be killed is easier than fighting to kill.

Perhaps not, but we are anyway (see: attempting to cause riot, shoplifting).
Why did we do those, anyways?

And demon =/= devil.
In this setting? How do you know that?
First off, they have different names. Second off, devil has never been mentioned as a synonym for demon. Third off, I've never seen a setting where they were the same thing.
Sig

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #238 on: June 19, 2013, 10:47:29 pm »

@harbinger
I wouldn't say we're evil. Just misunderstood. We're a juvenile dragon with a critical weakness growing up in a hostile world of monkeys.

New replies! Edit/response incoming.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 19, 2013, 10:58:42 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[/quote]
Why not?
[/spoiler]

Quote from: Still GA, actually
@harbinger
I wouldn't say we're evil. Just misunderstood. We're a juvenile dragon with a critical weakness growing up in a hostile world of monkeys.
Agreed.

New replies! Edit/response incoming.
Aw man.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 37