Advanced search  

Poll

So, when will this start up again?

Abandon Ship - all hope is lost...
Our Necromagicks have failed us!
Next year...
Next quarter...
This quarter?!
Never - The GM is just playing with you!

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 37

Author Topic: (ISG) You are a bound familiar  (Read 47008 times)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) You are an unbound familiar
« Reply #255 on: June 21, 2013, 12:18:52 am »

... proving ourself non-evil against their expectations ...
Unless that middleman is really worth his salt [...]
That bit was intended to just be part of the endless bickering about whether the heroes would try to kill us, not about these guys. Still, good to know about the commoners' ideas of dragons.

I think we should bluff that we are a mage. Say that by now he obviously knows that we are a mage, and we are sure he knows how mages value their secrets, and how they also tend to know more that just one spell. It would be a shame if this disagreement came to fireballs inside his nice entirely wooden business-place. (If one of the thugs protests that we are a small muddy thing, point out that we just said that we value our secrecy and have more than one magical ability, which would include ways to hide our true identity.)

Revealing ourself to secretly be a dragon 'in a more discreet form' should be our backup plan if that doesn't work.
If they try to move in to attack before we finish talking, we should illusion blindfolds around the eyes* of as many thugs as we can manage (starting with the two on our right) then run for the door while keeping the blinded ones between us and the non-blinded one(s) as much as possible.

* Out illusions don't seem to auto-dispel when people know about them, so this should be able to blind them even if they can figure out what is happening. This should go a decent way at least to turning them from attackers to obstacles for our remaining attackers.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 21, 2013, 12:51:05 am »

Wait, can we use an illusion to make ourselves invisible?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 21, 2013, 01:24:11 am »

We can, but we would need to cast it five times. Don't have the mana for that.
Likewise, bluffing won't work, as human beings are capable of communication.

Reveal ourselves, but try to get a height advantage first. We can always claim to be an elemental servant or something, as long as they don't see us clearly

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 21, 2013, 05:21:12 am »

I say that we should keep the illusion up and run for the chimney. The owner sees a humanoid and is probably used to dealing with large folk, the chimney might be sealed, but it is more likely just expected that nobody is small and fire-proof enough to traverse it. Getting up it would be difficult, but we have claws and can brace ourself against opposing walls. If we get a good jump at the outset then we might get out of their reach before they can catch us.
If we are caught, have the illusion promise great vengeance if anything harm is done to their agent.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 21, 2013, 06:02:07 am »

I don't think revealing our identity is an option here. These guys are thieves who are already hostile to us, and revealing that our corpse is very valuable just gives them a compelling reason to become a long-term threat. Our options are to bluff our way our or evade them using illusions, any which of those we should go with depends on the situation (see questions above).
Well, seeing as only the leader sees us as a human, I don't think not (at least partly) revealing our identity is an option.
Besides, what fool messes with a dragon when they are so crunchy and taste good with ketchup?
Especially a baby one?

In many settings, a significant number of people think that certain types of beings are Always Chaotic Evil.
We'll prove them wrong.
Lots of people hold quite tightly to their beliefs as to who is or is not always evil. Even to people who are not like that, proving ourself non-evil against their expectations requires a provable record of good (or at least definitely not evil) behavior, which takes time to build up, which requires us to not be killed before then.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. It does not, however, begin with a leap in the opposite direction. Let's begin the journey ASAP.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 21, 2013, 09:19:40 am »

We can, but we would need to cast it five times. Don't have the mana for that.
Likewise, bluffing won't work, as human beings are capable of communication.
Well, seeing as only the leader sees us as a human, I don't think not (at least partly) revealing our identity is an option.
If the thugs mention what they see we can pointedly ask if they have ever heard of a shapeshift spell, and what else do they think we are, a magic puppy?
Soaplent green is goblins!

Fallatus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 21, 2013, 10:10:16 am »

End the illusion, And tell the man exactly what we want with the most precise precision.
Dont bother trying to trick him anymore. It's time to get serious.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 21, 2013, 11:32:55 am »

I think we should bluff that we are a mage. Say that by now he obviously knows that we are a mage, and we are sure he knows how mages value their secrets, and how they also tend to know more that just one spell.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 21, 2013, 11:34:21 am »

I think we should bluff that we are a mage. Say that by now he obviously knows that we are a mage, and we are sure he knows how mages value their secrets, and how they also tend to know more that just one spell.
+1
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 21, 2013, 05:30:36 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 05:13:51 pm by Bronimin »

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 21, 2013, 06:49:36 pm »

Just a thought... We could end the spell, reveal we're a dragon, say we're working for a much older, much larger dragon from whom the amulet was stolen. We're rather more interested in people than it is, so we're trying to do this subtly, but we have to report back quite soon, and if our patron hears the amulet is here and we don't have it, the city is going to be a smoking ruin shortly after. Not reporting back is not an option either, since it will then search for us itself, which will have much the same effect only we'll be boned too.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 21, 2013, 07:04:26 pm »

Just a thought... We could end the spell, reveal we're a dragon, say we're working for a much older, much larger dragon from whom the amulet was stolen. We're rather more interested in people than it is, so we're trying to do this subtly, but we have to report back quite soon, and if our patron hears the amulet is here and we don't have it, the city is going to be a smoking ruin shortly after. Not reporting back is not an option either, since it will then search for us itself, which will have much the same effect only we'll be boned too.
If our mage bluffing doesn't work, +1
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 21, 2013, 08:28:23 pm »

Well well. Conversations like this do take some extra time. While I certainly don't dislike the result, I'm not really taken either. Summaries like normal, or rather this format, if feasible? I will think about sticking with this one for events like these, at least for now. Anyways, lotsa bluff-checks in there, but with moderate to good rolls on most.
Right, I did put our voice as you can see - defaulted to the color scheme of draconic for now. Should there be dislike or other ideas for it, we certainly could change.
Also, Trivia on "Master" has been added, since it also was requested. Was nigh time naming him, sure enough.

Spoiler: Indezi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Abilities (click to show/hide)

The middleman is not oblivious to the slight confusion, and after a demanding nod one of the men speaks up. "Boss, It's not a person! At least it does not look like one..."
He was about to approach you, but with these words he stops, and even takes a step back. Cautios fellow indeed. "More spellery? Don't you underestimate me!"

Eying the fireplace by yourself, you suppose it will do if things go awry. Since it's summer and still quite warm even in the nights, there is no fire burning in there, leaving no hurdles in the way of your escape. As you gingerly approach further towards the desk and said backup plan, the man feels prompted to fish out the scimitar hidden on the tables underside.  "Illusions are not the only magic that I am capable of. I dare you to underestimate me instead."

He clicks his tongue in annoyance, but relaxes a bit after you have stopped and signals his men to do the same. "I stated my demands last time - I only work if I have seen my customers face. Threatining me won't help that. It's fine to send a proxy like you claimed to be, but all the more reason why I will not step down on this point."

It really seems like he won't budge, and with the odds against you it might be unwise to press the matter further. Thinking on it, you will do as he says. Not only is your escape not cut in stone, he also is your most realistic chance at this point. At least he has not denied the possibility of your request when you talked to him earlier. The Illusion lets loose a somewhat theatralic sigh, before conceding to his demands. "Fine. But those men wait outside." He nods in response, and you dispell the illusion.

It shows that he is a professional, as he does not really seems surprised by your sight, and soon has ordered the men to leave. "So what am I looking at? A familiar would be my best guess, but feel free to correct me. Sure don't look like any major race that I am aware of. Wait.. is that.. No, never mind."

Your clever camouflage is still hard at work, but it seems that he has taken some offense at it. You would assure him that it is mostly mud, but those matters are far from important right now. Scraping some of the matter from your face, you do however correct him on his mistake. "Not one of the major races? You hurt my pride, mortal. My race is the reason why I have to take such care in this matter." Letting loose a toothy grin, you gauge his reaction - and he does not dissapoint. Well, there are only that much races that are considered immortal afterall.

"Wait.. don't tell me.."
He takes a closer look, and suddenly relevation is painted across his face. "Well I never would have guessed - but that narrows it down quick. Word in my buisness is that both of you died, but we did wonder ... never mind. More importantly, does that mean that your Abredas is actually alive?"

There could be advantages to him thinking that, so you just decide to bluff on it. You don't even have to lie all that much, embelleshing the truth instead. With a slight nod you start your bluff."With that sorceress and her crazy mana, we had more than ample time to prepair for them. A foolproof plan. It is not easy to best a wizard in his own tower. True, they did wound him, but they did not take his head. It should be easy for you to check upon this."

"I'm sure to have heard that part, but it was also said that his corpse was found in the tower. They obviously did not trust his death only on the words of three sellswords. But true enough, he is known for his unconventional means and as an Illusionist. Well then, with that cleared up we can get to buisness. I say thirty gold and you get that charm."

The man casually demands this outrageous sum, far beyond your purse. Here is hope that his ire is less dangerous than the heroes, because all you can do is bluff - yet again. "Do I have to mention that those heroes robbed the whole tower bare? Up front will be impossible, but with masters abilities we could surely handle out some kind of dealing, no?"

He ponders the matter for a while, but soon enough gives an agreeing nod. "I am quite sure that we can help that part - just tell him that he will have to compensate one way or the other. Lest I have to sell that part about him being alive to call it even. It would be very unwise to cross me, let him be warned. Anyways - I have my contacts in the keep, obviously I might add. Getting that amulet will be only possible when that sorceress is out of her room, but else it is a farily easy matter. In two or three days I should be able to proccure it from there."

"We are agreed then. If there is nothing left to discuss I will leave." As you are about to do so, the middleman speaks up. "Actually, I would prefer it if you stayed here. I heard reports of "that muddy thing" prowling around. Might be better to let me arrange discreet lodging for you - dont worry, that part won't cost extra." Amused by his own joke he beginns to laugh a bit. Well then, would you like to take his offer?

Spoiler: Master (click to show/hide)

Edit: Whoops, my bad. Obviously feel free to include what we should do after that - depending on what you think we should do. No sense in me posting a three-liner, only to ask for the next action yet again.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 10:31:52 pm by escaped lurker »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 21, 2013, 10:18:42 pm »

do not stay
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 22, 2013, 12:06:27 am »

do not stay
Agreed. We've lived as well on our own as we could with this guy. Maybe we should prepare a lair near some brothel or something?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 37