Advanced search  

Poll

So, when will this start up again?

Abandon Ship - all hope is lost...
Our Necromagicks have failed us!
Next year...
Next quarter...
This quarter?!
Never - The GM is just playing with you!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 37

Author Topic: (ISG) You are a bound familiar  (Read 46993 times)

Scionox

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) You are an unbound familiar
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2013, 04:50:51 am »

Realism? In my fantasy setting? Joke aside, it would just make the ability unbalanced.
Well, i am into that pretty much so i sometimes can end up nitpicking more that i should, haha.

+1 to brothel and watching keep idea as well as the tower, but not to checking inside the tower.
Rawr

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 15, 2013, 09:10:39 am »

Towards the brothel? Towards the brothel! Ooh.. bay 12, what are you doing to an innocent dragon-welp?
Also, Invasion of the semi-limbless stickmen.

Spoiler: Indezi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Abilities (click to show/hide)

You think about continuing your observations, but as it seems that you would need more mana anyway, setting out for that task first seems the most reasonable. While sneaking around through one of the countless backalleys suddenly a patrol bursts in through a fork that you were approaching. Using the little headstart that their noisy approach gave you, hiding in a pile of trash keeps you out of their view. If not for your cover they would have surely have found you and given chase. Even sneaking with great care gives no guarantee against exposure. The rest of your skulking goes pretty well, but your search for food only turns up some scraps. +2 Nourishment

From your previous visits, you know a certain area to be extensively emotion-ladden. The bars here do not seem to praise their drinks, or choice of musician for the evening - they rather put an ambigious emphasis on service. You are actually quite intruged by the later, seeing as the elven dancehouse also belongs to these quarters - who knew commoners would get such an influx of emotions from cultural relevations? There is a fair storm of emotions brewing up in the area, but the stirring is not as big like last time you visited - maybe it will better itself when evening comes.
+1 MP

Deciding to use the time untill then wisely, you choose to search for some places of hiding. While you only find some nieches, ditches and alike to hide in, you do get a good feel for the area, evading the few patrols skillfully. This area really seems suited for your purposes, and you feel your mana getting recharged at an ample rate.You also search for food, and are able to hunt down and eat a rat. +1 MP, +5 Nourishment

With the shadows growing larger, there also seem to be more people interested in the cultural ways. At some point you are quite intruged by some sounds you hear, and after some carefull climbing you glance into the room where it stems from. You are quite tempted to tell the elven damsel and her halfing partner that nature just doesn't work "that" way, but decide to leave them be - they surely will find out on their own. It is already quite deep into the night, when you have finish gathering as much mana as you can safely hold within you at the moment. Not much, admittedly - The amulet really made that task easier by a good amount.
+4 MP

Resting in the shadows on an awning, you see the people flock by, thinking about your next course of action. Sure, you are getting a bit tired by now, but if need be you could stay up till dawn without any real problems. Watching from your elevated spot for some time, you notice a woman screaming at a man, seemingly angry at him for satisfying his cultural needs. They do attract quite the crow thou, and surely soon the guards will come and break it up. You feel the emotions stirring, but sadly you are full already...

Depending on your plans, please be sure to include what to do after we wake up.

I am actually thinking about seperating the abilities into racial, martial and magical. As we are sneaking around an awful lot, adding it as a skill with abilities seams quite reasonable by now. We obviously would incur no penality towards any magic we learn afterwards, and since we are a magical type it won't grant us as much boni as mage-related stuff - or we just "level" the skill up slower.
Anyways, your thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 15, 2013, 09:19:48 am »

Go looking for the adventuring party.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 15, 2013, 09:52:31 am »

I am actually thinking about seperating the abilities into racial, martial and magical. As we are sneaking around an awful lot, adding it as a skill with abilities seams quite reasonable by now. We obviously would incur no penality towards any magic we learn afterwards, and since we are a magical type it won't grant us as much boni as mage-related stuff - or we just "level" the skill up slower.
Given we're a tiny illusionist ex-familiar who would likely be of interest to quite a few people with a... "questionably ethical experimental drive" if we were discovered, and who got free from his master only by hiding while murderhobos did their thing, Stealth seems totally appropriate.
Failing that, some kind of bonus to using illusion to hide or something, I dunno.
Also, "cultural needs" confusion is adorable.

I wonder how well we can climb? Claws, little weight and wings might make it easy enough that we could glide over the moat to the keep wall, then climb that and get in the back.
Of course, that would depend on the masonry...
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2013, 01:19:40 pm »

I'm all for having ability levels in mundane but non-trivial tasks like stealthy movement, climbing difficult surfaces, leaping great distances (especially because we can't fly right now, only glide), swimming, disguise/camouflage, and other such things.  We're not powerful enough to tackle all of our problems head-on, and we're not mundane enough to keep a low profile simply by not drawing attention to ourself.  We need the ability to improve our alternative problem-solving skills with practice.

We should take this time to find a good spot for a temporary lair in the city.  A difficult to access part of this cultural center might be ideal, if we can find a hidden path to get there.  Under the floor or somewhere up inside the roof, maybe.  A safe place to sleep will be useful even if we're only here for a night, and if it includes mana recovery, that's great if we have to stick around for a while.

Rest up, rise bright and early, and resume tracking down our soul amulet.  Start by trying to get at the sorceress unnoticed, but not if she's in the tower.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 01:21:41 pm by weenog »
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2013, 01:52:05 pm »

On the matter of climbing, I can assure you that we are quite unfit for such straining activities. A cat-familiar would have gotten at least double of our strenght/agility count. We do have the boon of scales thou - not to be underestimated. Actually, some bad rolls against a stray cat could surely kill us - but for that we have our fire-sneeze.

Won't be able to post much today, as something came up - earliest is tommorrow morning.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2013, 03:29:53 pm »

I'm all for having ability levels in mundane but non-trivial tasks like stealthy movement, climbing difficult surfaces, leaping great distances (especially because we can't fly right now, only glide), swimming, disguise/camouflage, and other such things.  We're not powerful enough to tackle all of our problems head-on, and we're not mundane enough to keep a low profile simply by not drawing attention to ourself.  We need the ability to improve our alternative problem-solving skills with practice.
We should take this time to find a good spot for a temporary lair in the city.  A difficult to access part of this cultural center might be ideal, if we can find a hidden path to get there.  Under the floor or somewhere up inside the roof, maybe.  A safe place to sleep will be useful even if we're only here for a night, and if it includes mana recovery, that's great if we have to stick around for a while.
Rest up, rise bright and early, and resume tracking down our soul amulet.  Start by trying to get at the sorceress unnoticed, but not if she's in the tower.
Agreed. While we're here, see if we can identify any of the adventurers in the crowd.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2013, 04:58:12 pm »

Ooh, ooh! and so long as there's plentiful mana to recharge, practice our illusion skills on passers-by. Point is to make good use of the mana font, (level up our skill), but to not drive business away.

-edit
And be sure to keep our mud-ghillie refreshed.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 05:00:58 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2013, 06:30:20 pm »

can we eavesdrop on this couple? I sense some opportunity to test our illusive skill.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2013, 07:53:43 pm »

I wonder how well we can climb? Claws, little weight and wings might make it easy enough that we could glide over the moat to the keep wall, then climb that and get in the back.
Of course, that would depend on the masonry...
If that fort is any good, then there won't be anything at all to glide from. Generally they are placed on the high ground, and anything nearby that could provide cover is removed...

I suggest that we act mostly at night. It is easier to hide, and there are fewer people about, so it is more likely that we can use illusions effectively. I feel that we should start asking around about adventurers, use an illusion to appear to be a halfling and question people who are on their own.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2013, 09:43:05 pm »

snip
If that fort is any good, then there won't be anything at all to glide from. Generally they are placed on the high ground, and anything nearby that could provide cover is removed...

I suggest that we act mostly at night. It is easier to hide, and there are fewer people about, so it is more likely that we can use illusions effectively. I feel that we should start asking around about adventurers, use an illusion to appear to be a halfling and question people who are on their own.

This seems like a good way to level our skill while making good use of the mana font.

Also: depending on how high the apprentice tower is, we could glide from that, possibly all the way over. I think he meant just glide over the moat from ground-level, & then scale the wall by claw. Which the GM said we weren't strong enough for.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2013, 09:58:12 pm »

snip

This seems like a good way to level our skill while making good use of the mana font.

Also: depending on how high the apprentice tower is, we could glide from that, possibly all the way over. I think he meant just glide over the moat from ground-level, & then scale the wall by claw. Which the GM said we weren't strong enough for.

Agreed on utilising the mana (also, we can probably refill our sustenance with it), and yes that is what I meant.
We should probably not cause any major disturbances with our illusions, though, if we can sense the magic of other casters they might be able to do the same if we attract their attention.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 15, 2013, 10:30:15 pm »

Detection sounds more like an issue with large concentrations of mana. So long as we don't store a lot, of create a spell with a lot, then we should be fine. Given that we have been downplaying our abilities, I am guessing that 16 mana is not a large amount. If we assume, at random, an order of magnitude between stored and applied magic visiblity, a 3 mana spell would be roughly twice as visible as our 16 mana storage. Twice 'not much to speak of' is still not much.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 15, 2013, 10:39:49 pm »

That's true, but we also have displayed no real talent for detecting mana/mana use, or any spells to do so. I'm just saying we should avoid bringing any suspicion that there might be magical goings-on where we are, because someone who is better at us at sensing that stuff might come and take a look.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #134 on: June 16, 2013, 12:02:34 am »

It's a population center. They'll probably assume it's a gifted citizen goofing around, or at worst some apprentice hijinks.
Badges of honor
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 37