Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Weaponized Minecart Ruminations  (Read 3175 times)

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weaponized Minecart Ruminations
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2013, 09:32:31 pm »

The issue I found with firing a mine cart loaded with weapons and trap components down a corridor into invading goblins was the the first goblin in the firing path would stop a large percentage of the flying items with its body.  So the first goblin would get hit by 40-50 spears and serrated discs and get shredded while most of his companions would escape untouched.
That's why you make the shotgun shoot another shell shortly after the first. Then shoot another after that one. Then keep shooting until everything resembles salsa. Or you run out of ammo. Whichever happens first.

Yep. That's why my system could fire 4-5 carts in sequence.  Usually just 9-10% loaded since that was enough to mow down the initial rank and still have some carry into the gaps down range.  And then the second cart would fire shortly afterwards and get the next rank.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2013, 02:27:04 am »

Or, you could use the water shotgun idea, but like this:
.=empty space
^=ramps/stairs
F=fortification
W=divot w/ water
-=minecart track
C=minecart
_=floor
                      ^
              ___   .
 --W-.CF ___    .
             ___    .
                      ^
The minecart picks up the water (or magma for more Fun) and launches out of the fortification. Then said water (or magma) pushes enemies into the empty space, and down onto some +=-menacing steel spikes-=+ or whatever. Maybe some more magma? (Not recommended in close proximity to dwarves due to magma mist)
Black lives matter.

UnlawfullyDeranged

• Bay Watcher
  • For every one, there will be one hundred more.
    • View Profile
    • 'Best War Animals'  'Clocks'
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2013, 02:32:54 pm »

Is it still possible to move magma via a minecart inside a wheelbarrow? Also, you could spread out goblin ranks by putting a long path one tile wide that winds back and forth in front of the spray zone of minecart projectiles. If the dividing walls for the path are fortifications, then the goblins would be single file, marching perpendicular to the minecarts and you could spray whole squads at a time.
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
Just no cheesemakers.
Pages: 1 2 [3]