Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engraving constructed walls  (Read 612 times)

Xolroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Engraving constructed walls
« on: June 10, 2013, 10:40:14 am »

Why can't you?  It seems like there's no reasoning for it.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Engraving constructed walls
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 10:48:11 am »

I think there's a hack for it, but I believe the reason it isn't available by default has to do with some very very old code.  I expect that engraving constructed walls is a goal that just happens to be a very low priority for Toady.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Xolroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 10:50:06 am »

That's about what I was thinking.  Still seems stupid that you can't, though.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 11:25:20 am »

It is so probably to entourage us to make our buildings and things underground instead of going aboveground (after all, we're dwarves).

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 11:45:46 am »

It is so probably to entourage us to make our buildings and things underground instead of going aboveground (after all, we're dwarves).

That, or turn every little thing into a tricky engineering problem.  Like moving magma and water 100+ z-levels just to cast an obsidian wall to replace a crappy construction, without ruining the rest of the bedrooms.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 11:53:51 am »

That, or turn every little thing into a tricky engineering problem.  Like moving magma and water 100+ z-levels just to cast an obsidian wall to replace a crappy construction, without ruining the rest of the bedrooms.

Obsidian casting via bucket brigade is a thing.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 11:56:48 am »

You can bucket magma?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 02:15:21 pm »

don't think so

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 06:45:13 pm »

You can bucket magma?
Magma no but you can bucket brigade the water as long as you do it from at least 2z levels up. I've done that once or twice, fill a mold with at least 2/7 of magma and toss in water from up higher with dwarf power.  Then agian I've also cast a 20X20 tower 30z high with creative use of pump stacks, retaining walls, and a few bridges.