Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven children's, I can't have enough!!!  (Read 984 times)

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
Dwarven children's, I can't have enough!!!
« on: June 09, 2013, 10:42:36 pm »

Ok... This has probably been addressed before, but how do I stop MIGRANT children from migrating to my fort? Usually, I would take it vanilla style and accept my fate, but since I'm short on FPS, I can't afford more than a 100 dwarfs. It's a bit bothering when more than 30% of my whole population is under twelve, especially early game when I only have around 60 pop (22 children's).

How do you get rid of them without inducing bad feelings? I really need to get a bunch killed fast or it won't end well... I'm thinking of keeping the 4 youngest for medical training after I gave them a ride on a bridge, just to keep my medical staff in good condition.

I still do not have magma at hand right now. The more and more I play, the more I feel like getting magma before the fifth migration wave if no lignite or no bituminous coal.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven children's, I can't have enough!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 02:50:58 am »

There was a DFHack script that let you butcher them... If that's the sorta thing you're looking for...

Lizzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 05:40:40 am »

Child labour.

When 50% of my (200-strong) population was children, I cheated with DT and gave them hauling & engraving labours. The one who had made an artifact and was a legendary bone crafter got to make crafts for sale.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 09:52:44 am »

make them work with DT.

Or drop a bridge on them.  The bad feelings aren't nearly as bad as you might think.  As a bonus, nothing will rot, and if you neglect to slab them, you may be lucky enough to get "has been haunted by a dead child recently."

also, your threat title says you "can't have enough!!!"
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 10:08:55 am by slothen »
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 11:33:41 am »

All good advices, I will just cheat and turn their labor on I think because I drastically need that work force.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 12:57:59 pm »

Put bedrooms outside.  Just a small overhang sheltering a bed and burrow.  Assign children to the bed, and to the burrow that the beds are in.  They won't leave, and will patiently way for snatchers.

Then put a mist generator for the adults.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 01:31:07 pm »

Girlinhat's Dwarven Summer Camp!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 01:41:20 pm »

That's indeed the best for everybody: the children get away from the horrors of a player-run fortress, the fortress gets openings for able-bodied migrants, the goblin civ gets happy new citizens.

Inside the game, kidnapping really doesn't seem to be considered a bad thing: afaik, parents don't miss their children
  • , and successfully snatched children invariably display the positive thought 'happy to be free' (i guess because the game removes the child from the bag when leaving the map, so it can be properly saved to file).
  • except for mothers of a kidnapped baby, who will keep trying to 'seek infant' as long as the child is on the map; of course, they'll also keep getting 'interrupted' by the thief whenever they get too close. Great !Fun! when the thief can't leave the map.