Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 83

Author Topic: NSA Leaks - GHCQ in court for violation of human rights  (Read 103096 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: NSA Leaks - GHCQ in court for violation of human rights
« Reply #1185 on: May 05, 2014, 01:39:59 pm »

HAHAHAHAHA
Ok, when someone tells you 4chan is the premier battleground between FBI, NSA, SVR, China, JIDF e.t.c. they are probably morons, but still true. What's just happened now is that someone has hacked 4chan to try gain access to the data necessary to find out the identity of the anti-China spammer, renown for spamming anti-China threads.
It was probably China.
RIPIP anti-China spammer

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1186 on: May 05, 2014, 01:49:06 pm »

Chinese anti-Chinese spammer?

Welp. That was fun.
I never considered that the anti-China spammer might be Chinese. If so... Odds aren't good. Hopefully it was just them trying to find out whether the anti-China spammer WAS Chinese, and the anti-China spammer isn't.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: May 16, 2014, 08:53:54 pm »

This thread's a little stale, but it seemed the best place to post about this.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/article/2014/02/10/the-nsas-secret-role/

Basically the NSA data from it's illegal data mining operations has been used to locate suspected terrorists in Yemen, Afghanistan, and Iraq, and said suspected terrorists are then bombed, or captured/kidnapped in nightly raids by geolocating their phones.

The most troubling part of all of this is that it's been very unreliable in targeting the actual terrorists. Not only is the data used rather fishy and unreliable (being apparently based on contact with known or suspect terrorists), they're not very good about actually making sure they're targeting the suspect in question, allegedly terrorist cells have caught onto the tactic and have started swapping around their sim cards, plus they just lend their cell phones to friends, family members, etc. Though I'm not sure if the analysts responsible for fingering these sim cards for strikes actually care all that much.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: May 16, 2014, 09:39:10 pm »

Morale: If you want to live, don't use mobile phones. Or any phones. Or computers.
._.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: May 16, 2014, 10:10:28 pm »

One of the official arguments in defense of the NSA programs is that they don't collect content, only metadata.  I was recently linked to a debate where a high-level official admits to what you just described... that targets for deadly strikes are chosen based on metadata, and that they often don't even care to verify the identity of the person being targeted - they just aim at the phone.

I haven't watched the debate yet (it's over an hour).  Planning on linking it here once I have.  Regardless, it's some abhorrent shit, in my opinion.  I feel forever stained just knowing that my taxes are paying for it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1190 on: May 17, 2014, 06:00:14 am »

The NSA said information that makes them look bad shouldn't be published, rather cute isn't it?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: May 17, 2014, 09:33:01 am »

The NSA said information that makes them look bad shouldn't be published, rather cute isn't it?

Did they get dropped on their heads as children?
I wonder, can comments like that get you onto the NSA watchlist?
._.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: May 17, 2014, 10:13:18 am »

>Implying there are some people they ignore.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: May 17, 2014, 10:17:11 am »

Did they get dropped on their heads as children?
Isn't that how all organizations work?  None of em want to look bad...  The length that these organizations and their employees go to prevent bad press varies...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: May 17, 2014, 10:36:20 am »

you're on the NSA watchlist the instant they buy anything more complex than a firepit.
You might be using that firepit to make charcoal for black powder. Better play it safe and put you on the watchlist.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 01:06:14 pm by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1195 on: May 17, 2014, 11:28:29 am »

Everyone who buys petrol is probably a terrorist. 

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: May 17, 2014, 11:32:25 am »

Everyone who buys petrol is probably a terrorist.

Of course, that's a very un-american activity.  Any true American who doesn't hate his country buys gasoline.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: May 17, 2014, 11:33:19 am »

Everyone who is a terrorist probably does buy petrol, for what that's worth. Or at least petrol based products and accessories.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: May 17, 2014, 11:41:41 am »

Everyone who is a terrorist probably does buy petrol, for what that's worth. Or at least petrol based products and accessories.
Whereas True Americans buy only propane and propane accessories.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: May 17, 2014, 12:37:29 pm »

>Implying there are some people they ignore.
The only people they ignore are people they can't keep spying on, such as people in remote tribes.
They're likely working on trained animals with retinal cameras and data transmitters in their skull for that specific purpose.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 83