Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 83

Author Topic: NSA Leaks - GHCQ in court for violation of human rights  (Read 103134 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: NSA Leaks - They've accomplished something! A court ruling against the NSA!
« Reply #1065 on: December 31, 2013, 12:38:47 am »

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/report-nsa-intercepts-computer-deliveries-2D11820931
I wonder if a non-American company could make a business out of debugging hardware?
Maybe I should move to Canada and start a side business?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: December 31, 2013, 12:46:24 am »

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/report-nsa-intercepts-computer-deliveries-2D11820931
I wonder if a non-American company could make a business out of debugging hardware?
An american one could probably make a bit of bank off of convincing paranoiacs that they're debugging hardware >_>

Probably already some out there, doing just that. "Send me your computer and X hundred dollah! We'll totally return it stripped of NSA bugging and not loaded down with our own back doors, keyloggers, and whatnot. Pinkie promise!"

After all, the biggest question regarding business like that is: How does the (presumable) layman patronizing them know they did, well, anything?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: December 31, 2013, 12:51:50 am »

Here's a bigger question: Could you get funding from the NSA to defraud people this way, since you would arguably be making it easier for them to do their jobs by creating a false sense of security?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: December 31, 2013, 12:55:23 am »

Here's a bigger question: Could you get funding from the NSA to defraud people this way, since you would arguably be making it easier for them to do their jobs by creating a false sense of security?
Sounds like we need to start an LLC. Let's get on it, all.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: December 31, 2013, 01:04:00 am »

I'm seriously considering sending them the email. On the other hand, they'd probably think I was mocking them. Or, worse, they'd think I have the resources to follow through. I'd really just like to know the answer.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: December 31, 2013, 01:05:24 am »

I'm seriously considering sending them the email. On the other hand, they'd probably think I was mocking them. Or, worse, they'd think I have the resources to follow through. I'd really just like to know the answer.
If all else fails, we could have RedKing do it. He's well connected with the gub'mint.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: December 31, 2013, 02:09:21 am »

Australia recently got caught spying on Thailand or something.

They're quite unhappy.
Ok so here is how all that happened:
- Before a recent election Australian Opposition leader Tony Abbott makes all sorts of silly promises about how he will turn asylum seeker boats back to Indonesia. Indonesian officials shake their heads at this, and the Indonesian press start to see Abbott as somebody they can frame as a villain against their sovereignty for the sake of selling papers.
- Abbott wins the election and his first overseas trip as Prime Minister is to Indonesia to talk about various matters, such as cattle trade and also the boats on the side.
- While in Indonesia he does press conferences with Australian journalists who want to report on his amazing plans to stop the boats, but refuses to let the hostile Indonesian press in. This sort of discrimination of the press is illegal over there, and the Indonesian media gets pissed the fuck off.
- They start to report on the Australian spying known from the Snowden leaks. Nobody in the intelligence community is surprised at all, they all knew this was happening. Heck the Indonesian government sends our spies Christmas cards. It was always friends checking in on friends to ensure they were on the same page. The Indonesian public doesn't see it this way, especially their nationalist opposition party, and they start to call for blood.
- Now that the Snowden leaks have become a matter of public interest the Australian Broadcasting Commission (ABC), our government funded news source, actually puts the effort in to read through everything relating to Australian-Indonesian relations. Most of it is boring shit that was made publicly available weeks after the spying, but they do find an incident of phone tapping relating to various trade deals.
- Shit hits the fan. Indonesians are unhappy that there was actually the bad sort of spying going on, explanations are demanded.
- The Abbott government still thinks this is a case of the public being worked up over nothing, and shrugs it off. Indonesia responds by shutting down all join military operations (Including that thing about the boats) and putting up an embargo on live cattle imports. Woops!
- Australia goes into damage control mode and agrees to join together to write up a code of conduct on spying between the two nations.

And that is where we are now. So there you go, a lot of political saber rattling that had a lot more to do with tensions caused by what a man will say when he wants to take government.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: December 31, 2013, 04:54:03 am »

code of conduct on spying between the two nations
I love humankind.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: December 31, 2013, 05:36:11 am »

It is essentially a paper shield so that next time somebody kicks up fuss that spying is going on, the officials can point out that it is all legit and by the book.
We do spy on Indonesia, and they spy on us, and we are very happy that they do. The vast, vast majority of information that spies gather is in government sanctioned interviews between spies and public servants, kind of like a pre-release of a press conference. It makes sure that each nation knows what the other is about to announce so that they can prepare a response early.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: NSA Leaks -The NSA, they do nothing! Primary assessment: useless
« Reply #1074 on: January 05, 2014, 03:08:56 am »

http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2014/01/04/nsa-wont-say-whether-it-spies-on-congress/?hpt=hp_t2
So, basically, the NSA is spying on elected officials too, though it won't directly say as much; even when asked directly by Congress.

Of course, that is to be expected given the methods used; they spy on everyone, regardless of who they are.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: January 05, 2014, 03:58:04 am »

Given their methods, it would probably be really difficult for them to specifically exclude members of congress (or anyone, really) from collection programs.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: January 05, 2014, 07:08:42 pm »

They most likely are. Heck it wouldn't surprise me if every member has done a check on themselves just to see what shows up, akin to googling your own name.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: January 05, 2014, 07:20:44 pm »

Well I'd imagine that you'd want to have a really clean slate if you're working in an area like that.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: January 05, 2014, 07:25:17 pm »

And the information they turn up will never be used, and they'll have just done it for the sake of doing it?
Maybe, maybe not. If the information was truly useless, it makes you wonder why they are spending money to collect it.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: January 05, 2014, 07:31:45 pm »

Barrels of pork.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 83