Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 83

Author Topic: NSA Leaks - GHCQ in court for violation of human rights  (Read 103175 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: NSA Leaks - All your WoW are belong to us.
« Reply #1005 on: December 09, 2013, 10:25:41 pm »

Hey now, quite a few ladies play it too. It's like ~40% female last I heard.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: December 09, 2013, 10:38:57 pm »

First thing, this is now across three separate threads. I am just a tad annoyed. This is probably the best place for it. I realize that three seperate people brought it up (although MSH could have known better) but still.

Second, I remain of the opinion that WoW players may well be crazy enough to require monitoring. Third, Nerds play video games, and there are nerds in the NSA, a whole fucking lot of them; I'm not sure this forum is aware of that. The NSA is actually the largest employer of mathematicians in the US, a fact probably due to there not being a lot of places requiring massive numbers of mathematicians. I mean really, the NSA is just a giant nerd complex with a few bureaucrats tossed in to run the show and a few intel guys trying to actually sieve something useful out of the wave of info. Of course there are people shirking their work and playing video games, passing it off as "infiltration".

The entire organization needs to be cleaned up.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 10:40:59 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: December 09, 2013, 10:46:18 pm »

First thing, this is now across three separate threads. I am just a tad annoyed. This is probably the best place for it. I realize that three seperate people brought it up (although MSH could have known better) but still.
Excuse me? Care to actually quantify that accusation?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: December 09, 2013, 10:48:13 pm »

Excuse me? Care to actually quantify that accusation?
Now that I check it was alway, so redact that.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: December 10, 2013, 05:19:16 am »

I'd like to make a prediction.

In the next 2 months a leak will reveal that NSA had been infiltrating many popular (and niche) online forums steering the conversations to make potential terrorist threats reveal themselves. ;)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: December 10, 2013, 05:47:45 am »

ANOTHER CONFIRMED FOR NSA

* LordSlowpoke sounds the sirens and dons tinfoil

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: December 10, 2013, 06:05:27 am »

I'd like to make a prediction.

In the next 2 months a leak will reveal that NSA had been infiltrating many popular (and niche) online forums steering the conversations to make potential terrorist threats reveal themselves. ;)
Well gee, it'd sure be inconvenient if I revealed here that I'm storing a few dirty bombs in my basement!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: December 10, 2013, 07:47:04 am »

Oh yea, I totally keep my WMDs in my island shaped like a skull.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NSA Leaks - It's a trap! Bring out the MUTANT BROTH!
« Reply #1013 on: December 10, 2013, 08:18:30 am »

There is not enough money on Earth to convince me to voluntarily play Second Life all day.
Getting paid to do jack all day?  Not too shabby in my opinion.  May even get to switch over to another MMO every now and then when your NSA buddies need another body for a raid or something.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: December 10, 2013, 12:16:49 pm »

I'd take their paycheck to sit in a chair and mess around online. Easy 50k a year at least.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: December 10, 2013, 05:47:46 pm »

Now, whenever someone seems to be following you around in a game, just ask them: "NSA, is that you?"

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: December 10, 2013, 06:05:43 pm »

I've been wondering how long it would take them to recognize online games/services as yet another communication hub they need to compromise. Basically anything with more than x users able to send messages in-system is something they want at. They're trolling Skype, Facebook, Twitter....why not Steam, or WoW, or Diablo3, League of Legends, Path of Exile, Warframe, Planetside 2, Mechwarrior Online.....

Trying to monitor an environment where new spaces, identities and accounts are created on perhaps a monthly basis is tough to say the least. So they'll focus on things that are hubs of user identity. Like Steam, or Battle.net or Origin. (Ok, maybe not Origin :P)

Now, whenever someone seems to be following you around in a game, just ask them: "NSA, is that you?"
'Look, I'm not about to tell you about the fifty tonnes of fertilizer in my basement!'

<--- Report Player
<--- Report Reason: Terrism.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1017 on: December 10, 2013, 06:10:58 pm »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25297044

Well, hopefully these companies will be able to put enough pressure on the US government to stop this kind of stuff.

Hopefully. It'll probably happen again, but with tighter security or something.

Allow me to sum up my feelings about this with an ironic poster.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: December 10, 2013, 06:36:48 pm »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25297044

Well, hopefully these companies will be able to put enough pressure on the US government to stop this kind of stuff.

Hopefully. It'll probably happen again, but with tighter security or something.

Allow me to sum up my feelings about this with an ironic poster.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So Obama is a Chaos God? Makes as much sense as most of his origin stories.

Anyway, after Immigration reform took a sucker punch, and the Wall Street Pleas during the shutdown went unheard, I have serious doubts about the ability of corporations to change things.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: December 10, 2013, 07:21:55 pm »

I liked the part in the BBC's version of the WoW story (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25310774) where:
At one point during the investigation, so many national security agents were reportedly playing video games that a "deconfliction" group was created to ensure they were not inadvertently spying on one another.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 83