Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 83

Author Topic: NSA Leaks - GHCQ in court for violation of human rights  (Read 103303 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NSA Leaks - Brazil acting up? Belgium acting out? Take'em out! MALWARE HO!
« Reply #900 on: October 11, 2013, 09:44:54 pm »

Haha, finally watched that South Park episode. What's kind of ironic is that Saint Nicholas is actually the patron saint of military intelligence. But then again, he's the patron saint of timber merchants, Murano glassmakers, murderers, and more!
http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/people/
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: October 12, 2013, 02:23:17 am »

What's kind of ironic is that Saint Nicholas is actually the patron saint of military intelligence.
Well he does know if you were naughty or nice...

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: October 12, 2013, 12:22:58 pm »

St. Nicholsd id sctuslly the patron Saint of my family, so let me assure you those are not all in one religion. In the Orthodox Church at least, he is the Patron "Children (not surprising), coopers, sailors, fishermen, merchants, broadcasters (Significantly more surprising), the falsely accused, repentant thieves, pharmacists, archers, and pawnbrokers".That's what the wiki tells me. I knew about the sailors and fishermen, and the children and archers and theives, but not the others.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: October 12, 2013, 12:28:26 pm »

In Belgium, the Netherlands and I assume Luxembourg too Saint Nicholas has his holiday which is basically a second christmas for little children at the start of december.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: October 12, 2013, 02:14:53 pm »

It depends on where you look. Some people have Sint-Nicholas, other celebrate St. Marten . (Who comes a month earlier). Interesting stuff, actually.

Also, saying the obvious, but Santa Claus is a cheap knock-off of Sinterklaas.

Also, patron saints are funny bunch. Saint Isodore of Seville is patron saint of "the Internet, computer users, computer technicians, programmers, students". He's traditionally depicted with a beehive.

Particulary ironic is the patron saint of Astronomy, falsely accused people, and scientists. Saint Dominic*.

*Founder of the Dominicanes, dogs of the Lord, and the main force of the inquisition.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 02:17:54 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: October 24, 2013, 02:05:23 am »

Hear it on the radio this morning. Of course, the US deny ever spying on Merkel, but do I need to explain to anyone why we can't trust them?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: October 24, 2013, 02:07:57 am »

To be fair they never denied ever spying on her, they denied currently spying on her or planning to in the future. When you are dealing with these people it is important to take very careful note of the tense.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: October 24, 2013, 02:23:09 am »

Right. It is true that even if they were tapping her phone, they'd be stupid to continue right now.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: October 24, 2013, 10:51:30 am »

To be fair they never denied ever spying on her, they denied currently spying on her or planning to in the future. When you are dealing with these people it is important to take very careful note of the tense.
Of course, new plans can be made in the future, when things have died down.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: October 24, 2013, 08:46:29 pm »

Not really a major powers thing. That's something that happens from the ground up and from the top to the bottom.

Can I get a preach it from Brother Tzu?
Quote from: Yes I can!
Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: October 24, 2013, 09:05:38 pm »

Not really a major powers thing. That's something that happens from the ground up and from the top to the bottom.

Can I get a preach it from Brother Tzu?
Quote from: Yes I can!
Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory.
I heard the snappier English version:
Know yourself, know your enemy: a 1000 battles, a 1000 won.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: October 24, 2013, 09:12:39 pm »

Eh, there's like a half dozen snappier english versions, misk. I just went with the first one google pulled up :P

I usually remember it as "Know yourself as you know your enemy and you need not fear the results of a hundred battles,"* and completely forget the wording for the remainder of the saying. The other two parts are equally important, though, which makes consistently forgetting them unfortunate.

*Though that actually distorts the meaning somewhat. That as is tricksy.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: October 25, 2013, 12:43:54 pm »

So Lightbeam came out today. It's a program by Mozilla that shows you an interactive map of your internet browsing in its totality....including who may be watching you, and how. It also meshes with ABP.

Thought it was pretty relevant to this thread.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 12:45:39 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: October 25, 2013, 12:46:28 pm »

Ah, Merkel. "Spying is perfectly okay! If you have done nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about! ...wait. Wait. They were spying on me!? THAT IS UNCONSCIONABLE! This is an outrage! Spying is WRONG! You promised I wouldn't be targeting when I sold my people out to your government, and now you're just casually casting me aside like some sort of... commoner!? I won't stand for it!"
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 83