Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 83

Author Topic: NSA Leaks - GHCQ in court for violation of human rights  (Read 103498 times)

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NSA, PRISM, and NUCLEON - The Snowden Saga: Will there be more?
« Reply #450 on: July 18, 2013, 10:06:23 pm »

Why do you think Snowden genuinely pulled this off himself? I ask this from the standpoint of someone who thinks this was an intentional leak probably agreed by several governments, though i couldn't tell you any more then the inconsistencies that make me think this.

If some foreign countries convinced him to do this, Snowden surely got screwed pretty badly, since nobody offered him a safehaven to retreat to or any money for doing so.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 19, 2013, 10:09:55 am »

Why do you think Snowden genuinely pulled this off himself? I ask this from the standpoint of someone who thinks this was an intentional leak probably agreed by several governments, though i couldn't tell you any more then the inconsistencies that make me think this.

If some foreign countries convinced him to do this, Snowden surely got screwed pretty badly, since nobody offered him a safehaven to retreat to or any money for doing so.

I did say "managed resistance", e.g, i imagine the US had a hand in it. It would be worth rereading my consecutive post after the one you've quoted, but regardless the fact that you've heard about this regardless of whether or not a leak happened indicates the local government approved of it. Given that the Guardian, the source of these leaks, is based in the UK, and they worked extensively with the US insofar as our local branch of PRISM (GCHQ) is concerned, i doubt that there where no mechanisms to prevent them from reporting it nope, please reread it, and I'm not trying to be a dick.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 19, 2013, 11:08:14 am »

I did say "managed resistance", e.g, i imagine the US had a hand in it. It would be worth rereading my consecutive post after the one you've quoted, nope, please reread it, and I'm not trying to be a dick.

I'm not familiar with this term "managed resistance". So you mean some faction or officials in the government that maybe had a beef with this program got Snowden to leak it? Or the US government leaked it intentionally because they want to air out other nation's surveillance programs and feel like the program should be accountable or cancelled anyways? Like, I guess France has a similar system? Or some foreign agency convinced Snowden to go public with this and take all the blame and responsibility for it?

That seems less likely then Snowden just doing it himself. He got hired to work for this program, didn't like it, so he made it public because he thought it was the right thing to do and possibly to capitalize on his celebrity status garnered from it. It seems like he could have leaked it anonymously, or arranged a deal with some foreign government before hand or gave him a little bit of time to flee before the gov't zeroed in on him.

What's your whole theory you are hinting at then?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 19, 2013, 11:18:56 am »

Pretty much as you said. The US and the other affected parties, certainly the other superpowers, have an interest one way or another, though i don't pretend to know why. I don't believe the Guardian could have managed this without being allowed to do so, and I'm doubtful they'd have the will.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 19, 2013, 01:14:50 pm »

"Who are the Snowdens of yesteryear?" -Yossarian

Also, I heard the interesting factoid that a president has never canceled a visit to Russia since the fall of the soviet Union. Although, that isn't 100% Snowden (Syria, missiles, the usual suspects), it would hurt Putin given his statement that Bilateral relations are more important the the squabbles of Intelligence agencies.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 19, 2013, 02:38:09 pm »

Cancellation of Obama's visit to Russia would certainly hurt Putin's image in the US and somewhat in Europe. Would it hurt Putin's ratings in Russia though? Putin's public statement that Snowden would only be granted anything if he agrees to stop hurting US interests is already seen as a voluntary big step towards US.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 02:49:31 pm by Another »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 20, 2013, 08:11:31 am »

It's been ruled that journalists may not refuse to identify their sources in court.

So anonymous whistleblowing has been made pretty much impossible.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 20, 2013, 08:36:49 am »

It's been ruled that journalists may not refuse to identify their sources in court.

They'll then just simply point at each other in a circle.
._.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 21, 2013, 02:33:54 pm »

On a technicality...  There is now more Transparency!  Just not who you want it from.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 21, 2013, 04:43:03 pm »

On a technicality...  There is now more Transparency!  Just not who you want it from.
The NSA: Ensuring transparenty on a global level.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 21, 2013, 09:40:55 pm »

Well it's kinda hard to call PRISM an incredibly competent and 100% accurate research tool in the hands of the NSA. Just because we have internet in this day and age, and its extremely wide and powerful resources at hand, you don't see all the kids in schools making masterpieces of their research projects, no? There still has to be human hands behind it, and humans tend to be sorta lazy and corner cutting. Hell, Snowcone wouldn't have been hired in the first place if the NSA was competent.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 25, 2013, 04:26:54 pm »

Tiny bump

NSA claims to be incapable of tracing it's own internal communication. Cites outdated system. Apparently uses telegraphs, or something.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 25, 2013, 04:38:28 pm »

Also, Snowden got a pass from the immigration agency to go around Moscow. No source right now, but I heard it on the news.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 25, 2013, 05:02:30 pm »

So what's the foia request actually say? Because, from what that article sounds like, it was wild card as hell. The NSA (the most secretive of government agencies) is not going to respond to "everything dealing with national geographic ever and what we considered for the story"

And, in any event, not being able to trace communications is kind of a good thing, last time I checked.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 25, 2013, 05:08:49 pm »

And, in any event, not being able to trace communications is kind of a good thing, last time I checked.
The key word is internal communications.  It means the higher ups have less accountability when it comes to internal reviews and it also makes it so the grunts have far less of a chance of getting the whole picture of what the NSA is doing.

So... I think that is a bad thing.  Plus, it is a great excuse for blowing off FOIAs apparently.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 83