Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 83

Author Topic: NSA Leaks - GHCQ in court for violation of human rights  (Read 103426 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NSA, PRISM, and NUCLEON - The Snowden Saga: Will there be more?
« Reply #331 on: July 01, 2013, 05:50:21 am »

Clearly the US wants to be an enemy with everyone.

Take care not to forget that everyone's doing it, and last i checked international relations aren't that bad. I haven't seen anything beyond lip service from Europe either.

Not everyone is doing it. The US are and the UK is, the UK maybe even to a worse extent than the US.
Sure, everybody has spies, but this extent of surveillance is unprecedented. And what makes it really bad is that they are spying on allies and fellow EU members. I'm sure Russia and China would do it if they could, but at this point we don't know what they are capable of.

It's true that there isn't that much of a reaction from the EU or individual EU countries so far. But there will have to be consequences. The EU is reconsidering the planned free trade agreement with the US. There is a lot of talk about it here, but it looks like politicians are not really sure what they are dealing with and how to react. Nobody wants to really piss off the US, and probably nobody can either, since the US doesn't care too much about relatively powerless allies. The involvement of the UK hasn't made the thing any easier, so a unified EU response seems unlikely.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 01, 2013, 06:38:09 am »

Clearly the US wants to be an enemy with everyone.

Take care not to forget that everyone's doing it, and last i checked international relations aren't that bad. I haven't seen anything beyond lip service from Europe either.

Not everyone is doing it. The US are and the UK is, the UK maybe even to a worse extent than the US.
Sure, everybody has spies, but this extent of surveillance is unprecedented. And what makes it really bad is that they are spying on allies and fellow EU members. I'm sure Russia and China would do it if they could, but at this point we don't know what they are capable of.

It's true that there isn't that much of a reaction from the EU or individual EU countries so far. But there will have to be consequences. The EU is reconsidering the planned free trade agreement with the US. There is a lot of talk about it here, but it looks like politicians are not really sure what they are dealing with and how to react. Nobody wants to really piss off the US, and probably nobody can either, since the US doesn't care too much about relatively powerless allies. The involvement of the UK hasn't made the thing any easier, so a unified EU response seems unlikely.

I doubt that the EU members aren't doing the best they can back at them, and similarly, everyone spy's on their allies. As for Russia, and China especially, given the recent talks on mutual hacking of businesses (which China had the upper hand on), i don't see why they wouldn't have similar programs. I'm uncertain as to how much help we had with creating the infrastructure for GCHQ, but either way, the US is certainly worse on that front, and if the UK could manage it, i don't see why the rest of Europe couldn't.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 01, 2013, 12:40:45 pm »

Well, it looks like he's seeking asylum in Russia now.  Putin says he's welcome as long as he stops ""inflicting damage on our American partners".

Another diplomatic cable leak right now would be interesting to say the least. 

Meanwhile, the American media seems to have settled in on their talking points, and seems to be just repeating whatever the government says.  Snowden seems to be going about leaking this stuff correctly.  Instead of dumping everything like Manning/Wikileaks, the trickle of information seems to be working a lot better.  If he releases something every week, at least it will be in the news for a while.  It also gives all the politicians time to lie a lot and get called out on it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #334 on: July 01, 2013, 12:58:43 pm »

Meanwhile, the American media seems to have settled in on their talking points, and seems to be just repeating whatever the government says.  Snowden seems to be going about leaking this stuff correctly.  Instead of dumping everything like Manning/Wikileaks, the trickle of information seems to be working a lot better.  If he releases something every week, at least it will be in the news for a while.  It also gives all the politicians time to lie a lot and get called out on it.
The 20 cent shills keep regurgitating that he is a 'spy' and a 'terrorist to America.' Couldn't get more cold war than that.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 01, 2013, 04:26:52 pm »

Instead of dumping everything like Manning/Wikileaks, the trickle of information seems to be working a lot better.

Why the hell does everybody believe that Manning/Wikileaks "just dumped everything".  They did the same thing as Snowden, just with a larger volume of information.  Wikileaks partnered with a bunch of other journalist organizations going through stuff, redacting names, and writing journalist articles from all the information.  This process went on for several months, until somebody managed to break into the file that contained everything, negating all their efforts at handling things carefully.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 01, 2013, 04:42:21 pm »

I just remember stuff about various military operations in the middle east from wiki leaks not that much big brother is watch like Snowden.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 01, 2013, 04:45:18 pm »

I just remember stuff about various military operations in the middle east from wiki leaks not that much big brother is watch like Snowden.

Manning's most important leaks were the war logs, which everyone seems to forget in favor of the diplomatic cables.  They contained tons of information about war crimes and how stuff the public had been told about the war was blatant lies.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 01, 2013, 04:49:41 pm »

Yep now I remember but still the got him and every one involved unlike snowden who's going to be drinking vodka with the GRU soon, except if suddenly he went to the bathroom and never came back.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 01, 2013, 04:50:11 pm »

Also, is the information that Snowdon is releasing all that much of a secret? I mean, this sort of thing has been public knowledge in the UK for years.
This is a blank sig.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 01, 2013, 04:58:03 pm »

Also, is the information that Snowdon is releasing all that much of a secret? I mean, this sort of thing has been public knowledge in the UK for years.

Sort of.  People who have been paying attention to the issue understood that this stuff was going on for a long time.  There has been a lot of evidence, unofficial comments from government employees, etc over the years.  Unfortunately, all that information was of a sort that most people could choose not to believe it.  Anyone who wasn't naturally critical and vigilant towards authority would call you a conspiracy theorist if you talked about surveillance on the level that Snowden has revealed.  What these leaks have accomplished is bringing the issue into mainstream media and making it completely undeniable.  Now everyone knows and accepts that it's happening, and is forced to develop their own honest opinion.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 01, 2013, 05:28:22 pm »

Sort of.  People who have been paying attention to the issue understood that this stuff was going on for a long time.  There has been a lot of evidence, unofficial comments from government employees, etc over the years.  Unfortunately, all that information was of a sort that most people could choose not to believe it.  Anyone who wasn't naturally critical and vigilant towards authority would call you a conspiracy theorist if you talked about surveillance on the level that Snowden has revealed.  What these leaks have accomplished is bringing the issue into mainstream media and making it completely undeniable.  Now everyone knows and accepts that it's happening, and is forced to develop their own honest opinion.

I wonder what utility this has, if you think this is all a bit convenient. Vagueness HURRAH
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 05:38:42 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 01, 2013, 05:39:18 pm »

Sort of.  People who have been paying attention to the issue understood that this stuff was going on for a long time.  There has been a lot of evidence, unofficial comments from government employees, etc over the years.
I didn't keep up with the news, I just assumed that basically every government with the funds to spied on as many nations and people that they viewed as a 'risk' (Occupy, etc.) as possible.

And, whenever a company, government or something has no comment on something serious that could be bad for them, I assume it's true.

Do all your friends? On balance, probably enough, at that.
Reading a thinner book

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 83