Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 83

Author Topic: NSA Leaks - GHCQ in court for violation of human rights  (Read 103398 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: NSA, PRISM, and NUCLEON - The Snowden Saga: Will there be more?
« Reply #315 on: June 28, 2013, 10:13:14 am »

Who gonna bet they'll find a way to destroy Ecuador anyways?
They'll going to try, thats for certain.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 10:17:55 am by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 28, 2013, 12:14:25 pm »

Is this getting much US coverage? According to this, the military was "filtering" news on Snowden's leaks to it's personnel overseas. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/28/us-army-blocks-guardian-website-access
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 28, 2013, 12:25:21 pm »

Actually, I'm pretty okay with that, given the narrow scope and the intent. They're not, for instance, forbidding people from reading the news at home. I understand how it seems silly to maintain classification standards on information that's been leaked in a high-profile news thing, but it doesn't really make an impact on the actual spread of the information one way or the other. It's more about keeping "the rules" intact, which is something I want governments to actually do.

Obviously, there's more to it than that. I would also like the rules to be more aimed at serving the public, and I support actions that break the rules that aren't in the public's interest. The existence of classification systems is one that is a good thing, though it's often used in a way that isn't. So, basically, this paragraph exists to explain that I can believe Snowden did a good thing while still believing you shouldn't be reading, on a government network, the material he leaked in the process.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 28, 2013, 12:59:10 pm »

I keep calling him "Eric Snowden", presumably due to both confusion with "Eric Holder" and the fact that I can't believe people were still naming their kids "Edward" as late as 1983.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 28, 2013, 01:03:34 pm »

I keep calling him "Eric Snowden", presumably due to both confusion with "Eric Holder" and the fact that I can't believe people were still naming their kids "Edward" as late as 1983.

What? Americans.
Reading a thinner book

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 28, 2013, 01:34:23 pm »

I can't believe people were still naming their kids "Edward" as late as 1983.

*middle name is Edward and was born in 1983*
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 28, 2013, 01:39:56 pm »

I can't believe people were still naming their kids "Edward" as late as 1983.

*middle name is Edward and was born in 1983*

Middle name. Probably taken from the given name of a male relative from the two prior generations. Doesn't count.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 28, 2013, 06:07:46 pm »

I've gone to school with a few Edwards. One was a few of years bellow me and born 1991 - 1992.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 28, 2013, 07:31:20 pm »

Actually, I'm pretty okay with that, given the narrow scope and the intent. They're not, for instance, forbidding people from reading the news at home. I understand how it seems silly to maintain classification standards on information that's been leaked in a high-profile news thing, but it doesn't really make an impact on the actual spread of the information one way or the other. It's more about keeping "the rules" intact, which is something I want governments to actually do.

Obviously, there's more to it than that. I would also like the rules to be more aimed at serving the public, and I support actions that break the rules that aren't in the public's interest. The existence of classification systems is one that is a good thing, though it's often used in a way that isn't. So, basically, this paragraph exists to explain that I can believe Snowden did a good thing while still believing you shouldn't be reading, on a government network, the material he leaked in the process.
Redking goes into this a little more in his post earlier in the thread.  I think he works for the ATF, so I suppose it's a somewhat similar situation.

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 29, 2013, 11:06:24 am »

Actually, there was an episode of Miami Vice (the 80' series by Michael Mann starring Don Johnson and Phillip Michael Thomas) named Stone's War and its plot was related to US policy in South America.

It may be a fiction but it shows people were aware of topics like that back then... just a though, you reminded me of it :-)
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 30, 2013, 08:35:19 pm »

What I love about this whole fiasco is that He's just a whistle blower, there are laws protecting what he did but what can you expect from a government that put every soldier who served in the middle east on the domestic terrorist watch list.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 30, 2013, 08:54:50 pm »

Opinion based, some say whistle blower, others say traitor.

Obviously the government is going to consider him a traitor, cause the public needs to be kept in the dark.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 30, 2013, 09:11:58 pm »

I... don't think it's opinion-based at all.  Furthermore, "whistleblower" and "traitor" are not mutually exclusive terms.  Some may label Snowden a traitor for being a whistleblower.  That doesn't make him not a whistleblower.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 01, 2013, 05:13:18 am »

Clearly the US wants to be an enemy with everyone.

Take care not to forget that everyone's doing it, and last i checked international relations aren't that bad. I haven't seen anything beyond lip service from Europe either. Additionally, I fail to see the benefit Russia gains from holding onto Snowden, given there's a good chance they where informed of everything he could leak as a matter of course (and intelligence would have got the rest), and neither is there a useful snub to America invested therein. When PRISM etc. gets taken to the courts, it will spill over into the other superpowers, at the very least through the demands of the American public. I highly doubt Russia's holding onto Snowden for any reasons counter to the American's interests.
Reading a thinner book

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 83