Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 83

Author Topic: NSA Leaks - GHCQ in court for violation of human rights  (Read 103393 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
Re: NSA, PRISM, and NUCLEON - The Snowden Saga: Will there be more?
« Reply #300 on: June 26, 2013, 08:18:08 am »

Most Russian media, even the most anti-Western ones, are trying to be neutral in their coverage of Snowden's escapades.
However, commentaries on the anti-Western Russian websites demand that the Russian government should never let Snowden leave Russia because:
1. he needs protection from the American government, and Ecuador can't provide it;
2. his knowledge about American mass surveillance systems will benefit the Russian intelligence services and the military;
3. Americans have never extradited Russian intelligence operatives that defected to the Americans, so why should Russia do it?
Pro-Western Russian media are slightly sympathetic towards Snowden, but still criticize him for arriving in such an extremely horrible authoritarian country, stating that he discredits himself by staying in Russia.

Also, RT reports that Snowden can't leave Russia because his passport was declared invalid by the American government.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 08:28:17 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 26, 2013, 02:15:36 pm »

Also, RT reports that Snowden can't leave Russia because his passport was declared invalid by the American government.
I love that at the end of the day, the only influence the US had that mattered was it's Passport Office.

I would like to see more on that though.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 26, 2013, 11:33:23 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

RT: Snowden deserves political asylum - Russian HR officials
That pic is amazing. Also I love what Putin said. I was laughing so hard after that

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 27, 2013, 02:46:23 pm »

Ecuador ended a trade treaty they were unlikely to renew and offered 23 million dollars for human rights training to the Us, apparently in response to US criticism of it's own Civil Right's record. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/27/ecuador-us-trade-pact-edward-snowden

"Obama's indicated he's not prepared to spend much geopolitical capital", and otherwise tried to trivialize Snowden as much as possible. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/27/obama-edward-snowden-wheeling-dealing

Anyone know how posthumous leakers have managed it in the past? Additionally, do we have any examples of the surveillance popular newspapers are usually under?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 27, 2013, 03:06:43 pm »

Imagine if the US takes it and puts it to Deficit reduction. How pissed off the Ecuadorians would be.

Regardless, it makes sense given what I've heard about their Leader. Doesn't sound like someone who'd prefer his own people to bothering the US. Especially given their current difficulties in Congress.

Also, I'd prefer a source other then the one with the most to gain from Snowden being as big as possible. Not doubting it or anything, but it is one of the actors in this whole thing.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 27, 2013, 04:20:57 pm »

Seconded completely. Many if not most of our other prominent news sources aren't giving it much or particularly detailed coverage, hence the source. Can anyone give me a list of the respected (not necessarily justified, but respected) prominent newspapers and sources in the states? I can recall CCN, the Washington post and maybe the New York Times but I'm hazy. If you wish to add your preferred sources you're more then welcome.

Anyone know how Hong Kong's doing out of this?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 04:27:04 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 27, 2013, 04:28:27 pm »

Also, I'd prefer a source other then the one with the most to gain from Snowden being as big as possible. Not doubting it or anything, but it is one of the actors in this whole thing.
I don't know of ANY good sources for stuff happening in South America. I know most US Media just makes stuff up about South America, much as they always have, and that most South American countries are still quite a bit with the long-standing US policy of attempting to kill or depose democratically elected leaders and funding South American terrorism and generally trying to install puppet dictators. There's a lot of bad blood, for good reason.

From what I understand, he's (understandably, if mistakenly) concerned that the US was involved in the attempted coup in 2010, and I have a feeling this is a bit of a "fuck you, I'm still here and you don't own me" in return.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 27, 2013, 04:32:26 pm »

I know next to nothing about that, so please give me all the details you can (and mention where you first heard about it).
Reading a thinner book

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 27, 2013, 04:39:42 pm »

I make a point to try and follow stuff in SA, though I don't do a terribly good job of it. Wikipedia has most of the details of the Ecuador-related stuff, and there are various articles about the web in random places - I'm not sure which I originally read it in.

The whole history of the US trying to kill and overthrow democratically elected South American leaders is seriously common knowledge. There are a large number of entire books dedicated to the subject if you want details, and various FIFA requests that have pretty much confirmed it's all true. The US did a lot of bad shit and got a lot of good people killed in South America for quite a long time.

Here's wikipedia on the most notable example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reagan_Doctrine#Controversy_over_Nicaragua

But Reagen made not only supporting but also actively engaging in terrorism in South America official US policy, and was fairly open about it from what I understand.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 27, 2013, 04:50:04 pm »

I know about that, as does hopefully most people. I never heard about the coup.
Reading a thinner book

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 27, 2013, 04:57:59 pm »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laplaza/2010/10/ecuador-coup-attempt-correa-instability-calm.html

Here's an article from the LA Times. Not sure how accurate it is - again, it's US media talking about South American matters, and even when they aren't outright biased against South America they tend to be pretty shoddy in research - but it at least covers the general idea of what happened.

Multiple reports indicate heavy evidence that members of the revolt did attempt to murder him, and that his vehicle was fired on and actually hit, though he appears to have been uninjured. When brought to the hospital, he was held against his will until his security forces freed him. Several high ranking individuals seem to have been involved.

It may have been a fairly weak coup attempt as these things go, but it seems like it certainly was.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 05:07:51 pm by GlyphGryph »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 27, 2013, 08:07:28 pm »

I know about that, as does hopefully most people.

I don't think most people do.  My parent's generation seems only vaguely aware of it.  When I bring it up with people my age or younger, it's almost always the first time they've heard about it.  I didn't know about all the nasty U.S./South American relations until I was in my mid-twenties, and I discovered it completely on my own.  Hence why people tend to get weird with me when they discover I'm very non-patriotic.  Most tend to think we've done some highly questionable or somewhat bad things here and there, but the U.S. is otherwise a genuine moral authority.  Then I tell them about stuff like this and they tell me to take my tinfoil hat elsewhere, and have no interest in confirming it themselves.  Awareness does seem to be turning around rather quickly more recently, though.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 08:11:08 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 28, 2013, 09:42:21 am »

So, I think this is related to here. Not sure what to think of it though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 28, 2013, 10:00:03 am »

Who gonna bet they'll find a way to destroy Ecuador anyways?
._.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 83