Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 83

Author Topic: NSA Leaks - GHCQ in court for violation of human rights  (Read 103370 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: NSA, PRISM, and NUCLEON - The Snowden Saga: Will there be more?
« Reply #270 on: June 24, 2013, 05:24:56 pm »

Thanks for the information, but i was actually asking about Snowden missing his flight. I've seen a guardian article mentioning it which I'll link.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 24, 2013, 05:46:50 pm »

You don't seem to understand what I was pointing out, misko, which is that people don't support the current state of politics.  They're some combination of unaware / feeling like they don't have a choice but to vote for the person they hate the least.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 24, 2013, 06:40:21 pm »

Meh. 7 compared to 3 is a increase of Over 100%, but it is good to keep in mind it is also a increase of 4. The days of Fascism are a little farther ahead.

To say that 7 cases in four years is not much more than 3 cases in 85 years is playing a silly game with numbers. The reality is that the law was a rarely-invoked joke before, and now it's deathly serious.

The effects of those recent seven prosecutions will be felt by further whistleblowing that doesn't need to be prosecuted, because it never happened. They will have been too afraid. And fear is a known tool of fascism. As is the control of information.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 24, 2013, 07:02:10 pm »

Meh. 7 compared to 3 is a increase of Over 100%, but it is good to keep in mind it is also a increase of 4. The days of Fascism are a little farther ahead.

To say that 7 cases in four years is not much more than 3 cases in 85 years is playing a silly game with numbers. The reality is that the law was a rarely-invoked joke before, and now it's deathly serious.

The effects of those recent seven prosecutions will be felt by further whistleblowing that doesn't need to be prosecuted, because it never happened. They will have been too afraid. And fear is a known tool of fascism. As is the control of information.
Dude, seriously, no. Please remember there are actual people who lived under Fascism and other dictators, the comparison is equates 2 different magnitudes of order. Fear to be a whistle-blower is not fear to judge the government. And No, 7 in four years may be a huge increase, it is still a small number. And note I don't judge the intensity of this leak the same way you do, this is not Fascism by any measure
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 07:37:44 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #274 on: June 24, 2013, 07:19:45 pm »

Ha ha ha
Obama's not a fascist. To be a fascist you have to be right-wing and authoritarian. Obama's more right-centrist authoritarian.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 24, 2013, 07:32:00 pm »

USA granted asylum (or, to be precise, bribed him to defect in the first place) to russian defector Poteev in 2010s under Obama's regime. Demanding Snowden's extradition now is too hypocritical even by statedepartment's double-standards, there is no chance we will even consider such requests.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 24, 2013, 07:40:17 pm »

USA granted asylum (or, to be precise, bribed him to defect in the first place) to russian defector Poteev in 2010s under Obama's regime. Demanding Snowden's extradition now is too hypocritical even by statedepartment's double-standards, there is no chance we will even consider such requests.
Too hypocritical? Please. Although it might not matter, if the whole missing flight thing is true.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 24, 2013, 07:41:38 pm »

Someone explain how Obama is right wing to the left, and left wing to the right. Does this not make the man a moderate?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #278 on: June 24, 2013, 07:49:26 pm »

Someone explain how Obama is right wing to the left, and left wing to the right. Does this not make the man a moderate?
From an outsider's perspective both major American political parties are on the right wing.
This is 2008. Might throw Obama 2013's policies into the test to see how things have progressed... Or regressed.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 24, 2013, 07:54:53 pm »

From an outsider's perspective both major American political parties are on the right wing.
This is 2008. Might throw Obama 2013's policies into the test to see how things have progressed... Or regressed.
A: Tell that to my Health care, and to my Immigration. B: They are right wing to the British. To us you are left-wing. To thrid world countries we are all left-wing. Remember there is no true unbiased perspective, it is impossible to see things in a way that is not relative.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 24, 2013, 08:02:46 pm »

if the whole missing flight thing is true.
Snowden not being abroad that Havana flight was confirmed by ~30 different news agencies, including CNN.
Also, apparently "White House spokesman Jay Carney" believes hes still here in Ruissa.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #281 on: June 24, 2013, 08:18:14 pm »

A: Tell that to my Health care, and to my Immigration.
Sup healthcare
Majority owned by the private sector, no national health service paid by the state, out of the pocket consumer based healthcare - right wing policy.

Sup immigration
When have you been about left or right wings? Obama's in favour of it, despite being right wing and there is a history of parties of both left and right spectrums supporting and opposing it.

B: They are right wing to the British. To us you are left-wing. To thrid world countries we are all left-wing. Remember there is no true unbiased perspective, it is impossible to see things in a way that is not relative.
Not even once. Left and right wings in the political sense represent a set of economic and social ideals, which are very much not relative and based purely off of their actual alignment.
Wikipedia's got it right on how Americans use left/right:
"In two party systems, the terms "left" and "right" are now sometimes used as labels for the two parties, with one party designated as the "left" and the other "right", even when neither party is "left-wing" in the original sense of being opposed to the ruling class."

Obama as is is already incredibly authoritarian. All he needs is to adopt further right policy, and fascist would be an appropriate title.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 24, 2013, 08:23:32 pm »

Ha ha ha  Obama's not a fascist. To be a fascist you have to be right-wing and authoritarian. Obama's more right-centrist authoritarian.

You could argue that many of Mussolini's policies were not right-wing. Regardless, fascism is more useful as a term to describe intrusive Orwellian authoritarianism, rather than sustaining a quibble over placement on an imaginary political spectrum that wraps around to join up again at the extremes.

Fear to be a whistle-blower is not fear to judge the government.
Fear to be a whistleblower is inability for anyone to judge the government on its true merits. The only thing worse than fear is not being able to know when you should be afraid.

Dude, seriously, no. Please remember there are actual people who lived under Fascism and other dictators, the comparison is equates 2 different magnitudes of order.
Yeah, you're right. For example, even though China has the Great Firewall that blocks areas of the internet, what America does to the internet was never even contemplated on that level by China. But one day China will catch up to America. Until then, I'll grab some KFC and breathe the air of freedom.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #283 on: June 24, 2013, 08:29:16 pm »

The KFC knows.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 25, 2013, 07:40:34 am »

OK, this is all getting really messy.

1) Fascism refers to a specific political movement. It's general use as an insult is so poorly defined as to be meaningless, and this is true since before the second world war. If we are throwing it around accusations of people being fascist we can at least make the effort to use a version of the word with a definition?

2) The Overton window is a thing.
The Overton window is a political theory that describes as a narrow "window" the range of ideas the public will accept. On this theory, an idea's political viability depends mainly on whether it falls within that window rather than on politicians' individual preferences.
In practice each country has such a window of acceptable policies. These windows differ from country to country. In the UK the idea of privatising the NHS lies on the far right of our particular window. In the USA the idea of nationalised healthcare lies on the far left of the window.

Within a country descriptions of left and right (or any other axis you care to speak of) tend to be based on that countries particular window. When comparing countries you tend to judge policies and politicians based on their position in your own window. So Obama is centre/right-right wing economically speaking in Britain's current window, but still on the left of America's. And voters in America are unlikely to give a damn about where he lies on Britain's, given the window is in no small part defined by the range of views and general perceptions of the voters themselves.

3) From what I've seen, advocates and supporters of these programs (including those in the administration) still believe in the rule of law while those opposed to them don't.

This is a generalisation, but a substantial number of pieces opposed to the programs are less opposed to the programs themselves - as leaked and written into law - but rather to potential illegal actions expanding on them. They are afraid of extra-judicial killings and extraordinary rendition, and believe such things are likely tools of the administration. They see minimisation procedures as legal CYA boilerplate and don't imagine that such things are actual limits on what can be recorded and used by authorities.

This is significant because, from a position where you still respect the rule of law, the administration's policies and statements are rather internally consistent and hypocrisy is limited to the usual state spying and covert action stuff. If instead you come from an angle where the administration is assumed to be breaking the law casually and the rule of law has absolutely no value then the very efforts to enforce the law against Snowden's leaks is high hypocrisy.

4) The pretence that other nations are morally better in this area.

The US has some of the most robust legal (again, requires some remaining faith in the rule of law) protections for it's citizens and residents in the world. Which is probably why even the suggestion that they are maybe violating some of those protections is huge news. Similar programs have been implemented in the UK with hardly a whisper. In places like China it's pretty much assumed that the government is doing things like this.

This isn't about the USA being morally bankrupt compared to other countries. It's their doing what other countries do and not morally superior to them. Which can be an issue when the USA tries to impose it's moral views elsewhere.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 83