Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 83

Author Topic: NSA Leaks - GHCQ in court for violation of human rights  (Read 103359 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: NSA, PRISM, and NUCLEON - The Snowden Saga: Will there be more?
« Reply #240 on: June 23, 2013, 12:29:15 pm »

Why the hell did the guy think Hong Kong was a good place in the first place?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 23, 2013, 12:36:17 pm »

Because it actually worked pretty well for him. They DID turn down the US extradition attempt and let him leave the country without any problems.

It sounds like he made a pretty good choice of "place to apply for asylum" from.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 23, 2013, 12:48:41 pm »

So people, why Ecuador?
This is a blank sig.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 23, 2013, 01:08:17 pm »

Because fleeing to South America is just a thing. People just really like SA. Also, Assange is there I believe.

There really is a difference in who is spying on you. Someone whose power extends to delivering advertisements, and someone's whose power extends to killing you and taking all of your possessions.
No. Listen to me.

This isn't a Dictatorship. This country remains, despite what people believe, a democracy, in the definition of the word. People need to come to terms with the fact that these people are elected, every year, by the people. These programs are, by extension, their will.

If you believe that, it is the will of the people that these things happen. And the people are always right, right?

Oh, and this
Quote from: NY Times
The United States had asked Hong Kong authorities to find and detain Mr. Snowden, where he has been in hiding for the past few weeks, but the Hong Kong government said on Sunday that it had requested clarifications about the request and legally could not stop him from boarding the flight to Moscow.
It looks like they simply hadn't decided, as opposed to denying it per se.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 01:11:53 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 23, 2013, 01:17:14 pm »

Oh, and this
Quote from: NY Times
The United States had asked Hong Kong authorities to find and detain Mr. Snowden, where he has been in hiding for the past few weeks, but the Hong Kong government said on Sunday that it had requested clarifications about the request and legally could not stop him from boarding the flight to Moscow.
It looks like they simply hadn't decided, as opposed to denying it per se.
My understanding is that that's diplomacy dressing it up in superficially friendly language, while still effectively communicating that they disagree.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 23, 2013, 01:34:43 pm »

So people, why Ecuador?
Wiki leaks helped facilitate his escape. Ecuador let Assange have asylum there, so there obviously on decent terms.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 23, 2013, 02:01:11 pm »

If you believe that, it is the will of the people that these things happen. And the people are always right, right?

...no. That is the entire purpose of the Constitution. That a tyranny with popular support is still a tyranny, and why the requirements for the government to do such things require far more than a simple majority of the population or of congress to support them in it. A popular tyranny is still tyranny.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 23, 2013, 02:24:54 pm »

There's a pretty good "take that" in the press release by the HK government
That press release is pretty awesome.

Roughly: "We're sorry, but we'll need you to fill out some additional papaer work and- oops, he got away. Drat. Now, let us talk about more important issues like how you've been hacking our vital computer systems..."

Agreed, though I feel unusually cynical today. Watching this happen reminds me of George Bergeron, watching his son Harrison on the TV, having his shining moment of freedom and fairness, before the government pulled a series of fast ones on him.

I'll continue hoping for the best, but I have my doubts. Lots of places will just expatriate him to the US, and a fair trial is never going to happen here.

To be honest, I'm doubtful of this. Anything less then a open fair trial in the states would at a guess cause uproar with the amount of attention paid to this. You'd think the best way from stopping a crowd gathering would be to give him a fair trial far away (preferably stretching it out), but then again this is an extremely easy hole to pick.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 23, 2013, 02:36:35 pm »

...no. That is the entire purpose of the Constitution. That a tyranny with popular support is still a tyranny, and why the requirements for the government to do such things require far more than a simple majority of the population or of congress to support them in it. A popular tyranny is still tyranny.
First, exactly. The people are not, always right (in direct opposition to statements written by the people who wrote the Constitution, I might add). Secondly, But then, who defines what is right? Who decides that a system or a government, or a policy is unjust or correct? You? I have the same claim to being right that you do, as does anyone else. And who and how would one decide? And who decides how we decide? Without some sort of mandate, from the people, or God, or the educated, or something, there is no way to determine what is a good policy, or anything.

Simply put, if you take away the people you lose the only thing that makes you more right then a guy advocating abolishment of all Science.   If the average, the majority doesn't make decisions it legitimizes the extreme.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 23, 2013, 03:12:12 pm »

Since i think it's been made clear/fairly obvious that everyone else is doing this, how do you think that's going to affect the response in changes to legislation etc?
Reading a thinner book

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 23, 2013, 03:19:41 pm »

To be honest, I'm doubtful of this. Anything less then a open fair trial in the states would at a guess cause uproar with the amount of attention paid to this. You'd think the best way from stopping a crowd gathering would be to give him a fair trial far away (preferably stretching it out), but then again this is an extremely easy hole to pick.

Yeah, like Bradley Manning, the guy got a fair, speedy trial.  ::)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 23, 2013, 03:26:08 pm »

More attention has been paid, a more eye-grabbing leak has been made, and there's less of an argument against, Snowden. Hell there's even been a chase to report on. Was there much in the way of protests against the handling of Manning's trial?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 03:34:17 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 23, 2013, 04:06:37 pm »

He was also a military personnel, while Snowsden is a civilian.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 23, 2013, 04:15:50 pm »

Apparently Snowdon's staying overnight in Moscow, according to the BBC intending to fly to Ecuador tomorrow. Why are the Russian's being so lax? It will only fan the flames of accusations of traitor, and bringing up this argument with/subbing America has unclear benefits.
Reading a thinner book

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 23, 2013, 04:36:40 pm »

First, exactly. The people are not, always right (in direct opposition to statements written by the people who wrote the Constitution, I might add). Secondly, But then, who defines what is right? Who decides that a system or a government, or a policy is unjust or correct? You? I have the same claim to being right that you do, as does anyone else. And who and how would one decide? And who decides how we decide? Without some sort of mandate, from the people, or God, or the educated, or something, there is no way to determine what is a good policy, or anything.

Balances, checks. And accountability. And a big part in those is played by whistleblowers that shine a spotlight on the worst policies enacted by people supposedly at the service of the people yet all too often with secondary agendas.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 83