Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 83

Author Topic: NSA Leaks - GHCQ in court for violation of human rights  (Read 103242 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Snowden Saga: Dissapeared or On the Run?
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2013, 07:42:44 pm »

Considering how much they actively target and act against nonviolent activist groups, I wouldn't be surprised if they were already using it against them. I'd be more surprised if anyone actually cared when it comes out, again, that they are. :/

It already has come out.  The thing is it's only come out in alternative media.  The only people who care are those who have been targeted.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=1613914n
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aznaD8yzVjM
lolx2
Based Biden.
Why do people vote in a system where they vote for the person they hate the least?

What I've been saying for forever.  When you vote for the lesser evil, all you're doing is granting legitimacy to evil.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2013, 09:03:55 pm »

Considering how much they actively target and act against nonviolent activist groups, I wouldn't be surprised if they were already using it against them. I'd be more surprised if anyone actually cared when it comes out, again, that they are. :/

It already has come out.  The thing is it's only come out in alternative media.  The only people who care are those who have been targeted.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=1613914n
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aznaD8yzVjM
lolx2
Based Biden.
Why do people vote in a system where they vote for the person they hate the least?

What I've been saying for forever.  When you vote for the lesser evil, all you're doing is granting legitimacy to evil.
Then close your eyes to the world, because it's all evil.

Anyway, as for Snowden, he seem to be in a pickle. Even Iceland has a new, conservative Prime Minister, who wants very much to strengthen US ties. And as for Russia, hehe, I doubt he'll even choose to go there. He chose Hong Kong because it "defends free Speech", which is not something Russia is so big on. As always, the best option is a poor country like Assange, but he seems to "principle-driven" to choose a country that is sympathetic to him.

It seems like only a matter of time.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2013, 09:18:45 pm »

Your comment makes zero sense to me.  I don't share your disdain for our species.  Even if I did, danger is all the more reason to keep my eyes open.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2013, 09:59:58 pm »

Your comment makes zero sense to me.  I don't share your disdain for our species.  Even if I did, danger is all the more reason to keep my eyes open.
Okay, then where is your democracy now? But let me guess, they don't understand the situation and information right (not saying they do of course, people are dumb)?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 10:02:16 pm by misko27 »

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 11, 2013, 10:10:25 pm »

Okay, then where is your democracy now? But let me guess, they don't understand the situation and information right (not saying they do of course, people are dumb)?
Dumb/Ill informed != Evil

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2013, 10:14:22 pm »

It says the majority disapprove.  Pretty consistent with the most common line on both sides of the political spectrum -- voting for the lesser of two evils.  "I don't like that Obama lied about his stances on a whole bunch of issues and expanded surveillance/secrecy/political persecution/corporate agendas/etc, but a republican would do the exact same, while at least Obama's on my side of the culture war."
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2013, 10:29:19 pm »

Well, I never said all humans are evil, I said the world is evil. The actions of the bad ones are magnified 10 fold.

Most humans aren't anything. They're neutral, selfish, greedy, hit periodically by urges to do good or bad. They enable the good and bad to duke it out. The Silent Majority is run by everything, yet enables everything by it's existence. No one cares enough. It's is a once a, I can't even say how often it happens, that something is accepted by the majority. Last time it happened IMO was the Second world war. Outside of the Neo-nazi's opinion, it is universal that Nazis are bad. What Fascism is, what it stands for, that was not destroyed. It's almost like the word was added to the dictionaries as a synonym for Scum.

It says the majority disapprove.  Pretty consistent with the most common line on both sides of the political spectrum -- voting for the lesser of two evils.  "I don't like that Obama lied about his stances on a whole bunch of issues and expanded surveillance/secrecy/political persecution/corporate agendas/etc, but a republican would do the exact same, while at least Obama's on my side of the culture war."
First, notice that that is what I was saying about people not really caring one way or another. However, there is this gem..
However, three-quarters said they approved of the government’s tracking phone records of Americans suspected of terrorist activity. Nearly the same number approved of the United States’ monitoring the Internet activities of people living in foreign countries.
On this point, they seem to be in agreement. An unpleasant, but real agreement.

Similar with Drone Strikes. More of the Public approves of Drones then Obama.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 10:40:26 pm by misko27 »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 11, 2013, 11:50:50 pm »

This is exactly why I considered voting for Obama. I didn't, but only because I concluded that his victory was sufficiently certain that I could afford to waste my vote on symbolism. Had the race actually been in doubt, I'm reasonably confident that I probably would've conceded and voted for Obama to avoid the worst case scenario. It's an incredibly frustrating position to be in.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2013, 02:01:36 am »

Because I was just that scared of Romney.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 12, 2013, 08:32:04 am »

Why is it okay for you to look at it on your own iPhone, but not on government hardware?
Because rules.

- Unauthorized disclosures of classified documents (whether in print, on a blog, or on a website) do not alter the documents' classified status or automatically result in declassification of the documents.

- Classified information, whether or not already posted on public websites or disclosed to the media, remains classified, and must be treated as such by federal employees and contractors, until it is declassified by an appropriate U.S. Government authority (Executive Order 13526, Section 1.1.(c)).

It's not so much that it's okay on a personal computer as much as it is "we can't prove you were looking at it". With government gear on a government network, there will be logs. They know people are going to read the news on their own time, they just want to avoid a headline in the NY Times or Washington Post about "Thousands of Government Workers Improperly Viewed Classified Data at Taxpayer Expense" or the like.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 12, 2013, 10:33:04 am »

I'm far from entirely trusting of that poll. Remind me, what are the prominent paper's in the states? Which ones are generally agreed to be reliable?

Also, reading how the filmer of the interview was contacted, and apparently Greenwald, encryption keys where mentioned. Apparently the filmer had previous experience with them. I understand Snowden had obvious advantages, but can anyone tell me more about how this works, and affective this would be given what we know?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:49:58 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 12, 2013, 12:53:56 pm »

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2013-06/obama-said-all-congress-was-briefed-prism-nonsense
So basically there was barely any attempt at congressional oversight.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 12, 2013, 01:10:17 pm »

I'm far from entirely trusting of that poll. Remind me, what are the prominent paper's in the states? Which ones are generally agreed to be reliable?

Also, reading how the filmer of the interview was contacted, and apparently Greenwald, encryption keys where mentioned. Apparently the filmer had previous experience with them. I understand Snowden had obvious advantages, but can anyone tell me more about how this works, and affective this would be given what we know?

NY Times is generally one of the bellweathers of reliable journalism in the US. Mostly.

Noted sorcerer Nate Silver has some good shit on the public opinion polling and its potential electoral impact.

One of the things that he notes is that people's views on surveillance are malleable depending on their alignment with the executive branch. In other words, Dems are more likely than Repubs *right now* to be in favor of government surveillance, while seven years ago it was just the opposite. Or in other words, partisanship trumps...well, most everything. It's been that way for at least the last twenty years or so.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 12, 2013, 02:53:24 pm »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/12/edward-snowden-us-extradition-fight

Snowden intends to fight the legal battle in the Hong Kong Courts, and has released information on the US hacking Hong Kong and China since 2009. He accuses the US of "bulling" the local territory because they do not wish it to learn of it's cyber activities. A protest in support of him is being planned for Saturday I dont think He's announced his location, and apparently the Police will have trouble arresting him.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 12, 2013, 03:16:31 pm »

I guess his choice of Hong Kong makes more sense now.  Trouble is that he's going to be labeled as a Chinese spy now.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 83