Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 83

Author Topic: NSA Leaks - GHCQ in court for violation of human rights  (Read 103478 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NSA, PRISM, XKeyscore - "Work for us, or else" (Lavabit shutdown)
« Reply #660 on: August 16, 2013, 10:35:46 am »

Well shoots. I just know more than the average person because much of my family worked in intelligence, whether as a military advisory or directly for the agencies.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: August 16, 2013, 10:57:42 am »

Well shoots. I just know more than the average person because much of my family worked in intelligence, whether as a military advisory or directly for the agencies.

Start leaking :P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: August 16, 2013, 11:26:35 am »

There's no proof that what they did was unethical. There was no blackmail or kidnappings or other 1984-esque spook stories.
I'd... kinda' say that stuff like flat out lying to congress counts as unethical. Doubly so considering the whole republic thing. Pretty much all variations of democracy lives and dies -- especially the latter -- based on how reliable the information getting to those making decisions is. Be they the people or elected representatives. There's not really much that's less ethical in our governmental system than feeding our decision makers false information. Which, tangentially, yeah, says some nasty shit about a lot of our politicians.

It doesn't take stuff as blatant as blackmail or kidnappings to be committing unethical acts.

As for the patriot act, well. There's a good chunk of folks who question and have questioned the general ethical nature of that thing, too. Legal =/= ethical, et al.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: August 16, 2013, 11:33:25 am »

Start leaking :P
Nah. I know it goes into "muh feelings" territory, but my mother was nearly killed during the Aum Shinrinkyo nerve gas attack. The fact that I also grew up in a community where random searches and stops by the police were common makes me not really care that much about increased security that much.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #664 on: August 16, 2013, 11:48:21 am »

Nah. I know it goes into "muh feelings" territory, but my mother was nearly killed during the Aum Shinrinkyo nerve gas attack. The fact that I also grew up in a community where random searches and stops by the police were common makes me not really care that much about increased security that much.
Instead of caring about your own stuff being searched, think about the multitude of situations of abuse that other people being searched could entail. I'm not talking about a slippery slope argument here - in the past, present, and future, if a group (any group, government, military, corporation, doesn't matter) is trusted without oversight with people's information/well-being, it has, is, and will be abused on both an individual and institutional level. It's pretty much how we are able to fight wars and commit atrocity - you distance yourself from an 'enemy' enough, it becomes acceptable to do pretty much anything to them. A huge part of national security is protection from this kind of internal threat.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: August 16, 2013, 11:59:49 am »

But it also goes the other way. Most people in the United States aren't worthy of attention from such organizations and are simply ignored. There is no fervent drive to purge all wrongdoers from the country, but only for certain people who are connected to certain overseas terrorist or espionage organizations.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: August 16, 2013, 12:00:41 pm »

Yeah... all this expansion of security has been pretty blatantly used against people who aren't really criminals or any sort of threat, but are outspokenly against the status quo.  I've already referenced Occupy plenty so for another example off the top of my head, take a look at all the shit Jacob Applebaum has had to put up with.  If you want a first-hand account, he talks about it on Episode 8 of World Tomorrow.  And he's not unique.  I've been hearing about activists being treated like this for the last 7-8 years.  Even people who have done nothing but be present at a protest.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 12:02:50 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #667 on: August 16, 2013, 12:03:17 pm »

But it also goes the other way. Most people in the United States aren't worthy of attention from such organizations and are simply ignored. There is no fervent drive to purge all wrongdoers from the country, but only for certain people who are connected to certain overseas terrorist or espionage organizations.
Instead of caring about your own stuff being searched,
kind of applies to your "most people". The fact that most people are not in a position to be blackmailed, manipulated, and outright stolen from if not killed because someone in the NSA has slotted him into a slightly higher threat level due to internal procedures without internal or external oversight does not mean that there aren't going to be people that are. We are not and have never been invulnerable to tyranny.
Music, Ballpoint

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: August 16, 2013, 12:04:24 pm »

Well of course. It's all natural with the advance of technology and communication. Security monitoring and such would only increase inevitably. And it's no secret after all, what local police and homesec are capable of.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: August 16, 2013, 12:06:22 pm »

Instead of caring about your own stuff being searched,
kind of applies to your "most people". The fact that most people are not in a position to be blackmailed, manipulated, and outright stolen from if not killed because someone in the NSA has slotted him into a slightly higher threat level due to internal procedures without internal or external oversight does not mean that there aren't going to be people that are. We are not and have never been invulnerable to tyranny.
There are federal courts in such positions to act as oversight. They are secret though, but that's sort of the point when dealing with such procedures.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: August 16, 2013, 12:09:09 pm »

And it's no secret after all, what local police and homesec are capable of.

Yeah, people say this a lot... so why are people who try to warn the public about it hunted like terrorists?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: August 16, 2013, 12:11:54 pm »

Well of course. It's all natural with the advance of technology and communication. Security monitoring and such would only increase inevitably. And it's no secret after all, what local police and homesec are capable of.
Yes, but that's not got anything to do with whether it's a bad thing or not.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: August 16, 2013, 12:13:11 pm »

I'm not sure. Considering all the misconception about the roles of surveillance and government intelligence, I really really would wish that such agencies would talk more about the knowledge that's out there, but very few of the public know about.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #673 on: August 16, 2013, 12:17:24 pm »

There are federal courts in such positions to act as oversight. They are secret though, but that's sort of the point when dealing with such procedures.
Not really. You can't trust a court that you can't examine the decisions of to oversee a program you don't know about and expect them to be perfectly benign. I don't understand the cultural armor you've put over the US intelligence community, but it certainly doesn't reflect the reality of how incredibly important management oversight is in any other agency.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 12:19:28 pm by Eagleon »
Music, Ballpoint

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: August 16, 2013, 12:19:53 pm »

I'm not sure. Considering all the misconception about the roles of surveillance and government intelligence, I really really would wish that such agencies would talk more about the knowledge that's out there, but very few of the public know about.

I agree with that, actually. Given that the technology exists, transparency becomes a key element in handling it. If you give people a way to check on who's being monitored and how, and you give the public* a way to hold these agencies accountable when abuse occurs, then things can work as intended. I know that this needs to be reconciled with the need to keep the programs functional, but right now we're at a point where we definitely need to work toward more transparency, not less.

*Representatives are absolutely not an acceptable stand-in for the public. Direct control over funding, public votes on appointments (all of which must expire after some amount of time), etc are better strategies.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 83