Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 83

Author Topic: NSA Leaks - GHCQ in court for violation of human rights  (Read 103292 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: NSA, PRISM, and NUCLEON - The Snowden Saga: Will there be more?
« Reply #226 on: June 21, 2013, 06:38:10 pm »

Why is there only 1 picture of that guy? Or, actually, only variations on that one picture? Seriously. I mean, Does he seriously not a have a Facebook somewhere?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/11/edward-snowden-russia-asylum-request

Now there's an enlightening switch....

Pretty sure that's old, and he probably won't take it, due to he wanting to stay in Democratic countries with strong histories of Free speech, according to him. (I say it's old because I'm pretty sure I said this before. Or I'm just crazy, also possible.)

Which rules out most places safe from the US really.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 21, 2013, 07:02:47 pm »

Why is there only 1 picture of that guy? Or, actually, only variations on that one picture? Seriously. I mean, Does he seriously not a have a Facebook somewhere?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5H_b3mVz8s

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 21, 2013, 07:12:44 pm »

"Man outraged to find out someone other than advertisers collecting all his info"
Well put.

And the Onion just says we we are all thinking, really.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #229 on: June 21, 2013, 07:16:05 pm »

"Man outraged to find out someone other than advertisers collecting all his info"
Well put.

The Onion does not think for I I nor you you at all.

Secondly even with google an opt out option is possible.

Thirdly what information you give to advertisers is at your own discretion. READ THAT FINE PRINT. READ THE BOLD PRINT TOO.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 21, 2013, 10:48:41 pm »

Well put.

The Onion does not think for I I nor you you at all.

Secondly even with google an opt out option is possible.

Thirdly what information you give to advertisers is at your own discretion. READ THAT FINE PRINT. READ THE BOLD PRINT TOO.
What is with the double referential?

And as for Google, it is probably the tip of the Spying Iceberg. They are the only omnipresent ones though. Question, have you tried Ghostery? DoNotTrackMe? They reveal a significantly larger number of Companies watching you. Seriously, try it out. They're both free add-ons to Browsers, and have some interesting info.

Also, I'm supposedly on a NY State Mandated, NY State enforced "Do Not Call/Spam" List. I get it all the time anyway. I report every single one. They keep coming. Look my poor, abused* phone in the screen and tell it it can opt out.

*My phone is actually abused because I "Drop it". Yes, that's the story and we are sticking to it.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 22, 2013, 12:03:38 pm »

Thanks for all the spyware et all blocking info. I need only install them and read up on encryption. I'll be looking at their recent traffic figures too.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 23, 2013, 04:03:10 am »

Well, he's left Hong Kong for an undisclosed democratic country (via Moscow).  Apparently wikileaks helped facilitate the release.

There's a pretty good "take that" in the press release by the HK government
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 04:12:59 am by Sir Finkus »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 23, 2013, 04:53:44 am »

Aw.
And if you want to think on the egotistical plane, by allowing them to give away their freedoms you erode the stigma attached and make it more socially acceptable. Given crowd mentality of 'FOLLOW THE FUCKING LEADER OFF THE CLIFF GO GO GO...'
It will hurt you and future generations with time.
All it takes for lawful evil to attain dominance is for the chaotic, good and neutral alignments to become apathetic.
In my workplace, a a few years ago, some people started doing free extra hours after night shifts, every single time, to brownose the boss. The result is that until very recently (aka: until my glorious revolution) everyone was expected to pull extra hours for free after night shifts, with no thanks asked.

So yeah, precedents matter a lot.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 23, 2013, 07:55:14 am »

That press release is pretty awesome.

Roughly: "We're sorry, but we'll need you to fill out some additional papaer work and- oops, he got away. Drat. Now, let us talk about more important issues like how you've been hacking our vital computer systems..."

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 23, 2013, 08:06:54 am »

He just landed in Moscow, the latest speculation is that he's going to Venezuela via Cuba.
:edit: I love it when "take thats" are in legalese/diplospeak.  "requesting clarification" just has such a badass, almost sarcastic tone to it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 08:09:56 am by Sir Finkus »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #237 on: June 23, 2013, 08:42:31 am »

What is with the double referential?
Just taking the mick that you had a double 'we'

There really is a difference in who is spying on you. Someone whose power extends to delivering advertisements, and someone's whose power extends to killing you and taking all of your possessions.

Well, he's left Hong Kong for an undisclosed democratic country (via Moscow).  Apparently wikileaks helped facilitate the release.

'Meanwhile, the HKSAR Government has formally written to the US Government requesting clarification on earlier reports about the hacking of computer systems in Hong Kong by US government agencies.'
There is justice for a brief day ;-;

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 23, 2013, 09:28:02 am »

That press release is pretty awesome.

Roughly: "We're sorry, but we'll need you to fill out some additional papaer work and- oops, he got away. Drat. Now, let us talk about more important issues like how you've been hacking our vital computer systems..."

Agreed, though I feel unusually cynical today. Watching this happen reminds me of George Bergeron, watching his son Harrison on the TV, having his shining moment of freedom and fairness, before the government pulled a series of fast ones on him.

I'll continue hoping for the best, but I have my doubts. Lots of places will just expatriate him to the US, and a fair trial is never going to happen here.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 83