Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 83

Author Topic: NSA Leaks - GHCQ in court for violation of human rights  (Read 103298 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NSA, PRISM, and NUCLEON - The Snowden Saga: Will there be more?
« Reply #210 on: June 21, 2013, 04:26:56 am »

I suspect when this technology is actually used people won't accept it.
This. They would have to make you sign a user agreement for that, and if you sign such a thing it's really your own fault.

Actually this sounds like a really bad satire (I'm not saying it is), it would be total surveillance. How many people have a tv in the bedroom?
And it also sounds completely ineffective, what do they want to monitor? If people were cheering or crying or something, maybe, but facial recognition software isn't that great yet.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 21, 2013, 04:46:24 am »

Wikileaks just shared this on Facebook

wikileaks has prepared an airplane via middleman to bring snowden from china to iceland "everything is ready" only thing missing is the icelandic governmental approval.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 21, 2013, 04:53:39 am »

I've read something like that. An icelandic businessman has offered his private jet. Problem is, Snowden can only try to get asylum if he is in Iceland. If they don't give him approval, he might be extradited to the US, so he would actually be safer where he is now.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 21, 2013, 05:33:00 am »

I've read something like that. An icelandic businessman has offered his private jet. Problem is, Snowden can only try to get asylum if he is in Iceland. If they don't give him approval, he might be extradited to the US, so he would actually be safer where he is now.
The only indication that he might flee to Iceland that I've read is that some Icelandic politician is lobbying the government to give him asylum.  He seems content with staying in Hong Kong for the time being.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 21, 2013, 02:58:19 pm »

There's more! Apparently we've tapped every trans-atlantic cable, and we suck up and store everything that goes through them, in cooperation with several "strictly confidential companies".

Also, as I'd mentioned earlier, we apparently pay the UK to spy on our citizens and give us the data, and they do the same thing to us in return, and since it's perfectly okay to spy on foreigners in both countries, they don't have to worry about following those pesky laws or regulations...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #215 on: June 21, 2013, 03:19:13 pm »

To be fair this really hasn't actually happened yet.  I suspect when this technology is actually used people won't accept it.
Ha ha ha
Nice joke there

Also, as I'd mentioned earlier, we apparently pay the UK to spy on our citizens and give us the data, and they do the same thing to us in return, and since it's perfectly okay to spy on foreigners in both countries, they don't have to worry about following those pesky laws or regulations...
Teamwork!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 21, 2013, 04:39:55 pm »

A new corporate surveillance scheme is now up for debate.
How- I don't even-

Well then, hmm. Shit TV companies, that pretty fucking disturbing. Also, I still don't own a TV, so fuck you Cable Companies! I'm to poor to spy on. :P
WHYYYYY?!?!?! Why is this idiocy allowed to continue? Where's the uproar? Where's the rebellion? Come on, Americans, take back your damn rights and throw these idiots out of their seats of power for incompetence and corruption already.
Well to be fair, it's a business, so that is perfectly acceptable and legal. If you don't like it, pay for the privilege of not being spied on. That's Capitalism me man.

Also, It seems increasingly like Americans aren't to perturbed about it all. The Onion, as always, says it best: "Nation supposes it's outraged by scandals." His approval rating has dropped about, 2 points though, since May.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 21, 2013, 04:45:03 pm »

Misko, I suspect it's a lot like global warming - most people really, really don't want to care. They want to live in a world where they can believe the government in general is looking out for their best interests, and where bad things only happen to people who deserve it, and that "those who have done nothing wrong don't have any reason to keep secrets" (which is always ironic when they are busy arguing that the government should have the ability to keep all this shit a secret)

We don't live in a world like that, of course. But people really really want to believe we do. And with so much mixed up information going around, and no easy way to tell who to trust and who not to, it's often easier just to believe that everything is probably okay while doing your best to avoid looking too deeply (in case you might be wrong).

Most people would, let's be honest, end up being significantly more damaged, in direct ways in the short term, by worrying about the government doing this than are damaged by the government actually doing this. That's a powerful incentive to accept it as ok.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 21, 2013, 04:55:09 pm »

Misko, I suspect it's a lot like global warming - most people really, really don't want to care. They want to live in a world where they can believe the government in general is looking out for their best interests, and where bad things only happen to people who deserve it, and that "those who have done nothing wrong don't have any reason to keep secrets" (which is always ironic when they are busy arguing that the government should have the ability to keep all this shit a secret)
Is it wrong that I don't feel bad about screwing those people over? I mean; if they are going to be that naive out of choice, then they kinda deserve whatever happens.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #219 on: June 21, 2013, 05:03:55 pm »

Is it wrong that I don't feel bad about screwing those people over? I mean; if they are going to be that naive out of choice, then they kinda deserve whatever happens.
We have a duty to protect the liberties of all human beings, even the stupid ones.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 21, 2013, 05:04:48 pm »

We have a duty to protect the liberties of all human beings, even the stupid ones.
Aw.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #221 on: June 21, 2013, 05:10:50 pm »

Aw.
And if you want to think on the egotistical plane, by allowing them to give away their freedoms you erode the stigma attached and make it more socially acceptable. Given crowd mentality of 'FOLLOW THE FUCKING LEADER OFF THE CLIFF GO GO GO...'
It will hurt you and future generations with time.
All it takes for lawful evil to attain dominance is for the chaotic, good and neutral alignments to become apathetic.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 21, 2013, 05:17:35 pm »

You mean this:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jun/21/gchq-cables-secret-world-communications-nsa
Oh fuck. That could be even bigger than US surveillance.

You know that people here can't even legally take a photo of me if I'm not in the background or that I can't legally record phone calls from annoying advertisers without consent? How is this shit legal?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 21, 2013, 05:19:50 pm »

Plus, we're all in the same boat. Anything that screws them over screws everyone else over too... and almost everyone is like this is about something, usually several somethings. There are a great many pressing, incredibly important issues occurring at any given time, and for our sanity if we bother thinking about any of them it will probably be a fairly small subset. That's why saying "the majority of people don't care" is such a weak statement - by simple appropriation of resources, the majority of people don't care about the majority of things, and most of those things will probably be things they HAVE to care about for some press or imminent reason, or things that make their lives better by being cared about, and this is /neither/ of those things.

It's the whole reason we have a representative republic instead of a true democracy - because it turns out effective caring is a full time job, and even the people we hire to care about this stuff full time don't seem to give enough of a shit about most of it to bother educate themselves.

:/

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 83