Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Getting closer and closer to release  (Read 3464 times)

ChuckWeiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting closer and closer to release
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 10:20:25 pm »

All those question marks are pretty damning of a pre winter release. The multi-tile trees are a big part of that; he put them in, but hasn't done anything at all concerning how they're cut down and processed in adventure mode. Same goes for the roots; as I understand it, subterranean roots are in, but there's as of yet no way to deal with them.

And you omitted the biggest feature from your list: The world has come alive!
When he dies for the Mountain, the Mountain will weep not tears, but Blood for the Blood God!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 10:36:05 pm »

Ah yes.  That and retiring forts.  Both big ones.

The question marks I had were mostly wondering whether or not the features had any effect in fort mode (expecting they do not), not so much whether they were implemented or not.  I agree that multi tile trees are still a big deal.  So far as I know, that's still the biggest question left open.  I'd rather Toady take his time figuring out how that will work in fort mode, rather than rush the release out though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 08:07:25 am »

I imagine that the climbing and jumping means that goblins can now climb our beautiful defenses and invade glorious Mother Urist-ia. We must now come up with new defense ideas and weaponize the climbing abilities everyone is getting. I propose the use of boiling oil, moats filled with feces and dropping rocks at key climb points. And I also propose the use of mini land battle ships and having glorious pirate boarding battles between the brave Bloodbeard and his crew vs. the vicious Calico Urist.

... I should probably try getting some sleep now.

On a more serious note, will we be getting any new ladders or anything to play with?
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 12:56:11 pm »

I believe Toady has stated that ladders and other climbing related implements weren't going in to this release.  Maybe in a minor release after it, but that's pure speculation.

I also don't recall for sure, but I want to think Toady said that climbing and jumping don't affect fort mode at all for now.  I'm not sure if he has even confirmed that NPCs will use those features even in adventure mode yet.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 01:03:15 pm »

I want to see dwarves jumping off ledges to their likely deaths as a last resort when they're cornered by a forgotten beast with no valid escape routes.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 01:11:45 pm »

I want to see dwarves crawling over walls like some sort of bearded slugs.  Imagine it: Every creature has a climb speed.  Walls, stairs, and bridges become purely aesthetic as creatures simply path wherever they like.  It'll be such glorious chaos!

Also such crazy as build a 20 level tower with no stairs, climbing straight up the side, taking pot shots with crossbows at invaders, and hauling materials up by hand.

19 levels up, "Urist McHauler goes on break" Falls 19 levels with a shist boulder.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 04:22:32 pm »

I do hope my Fortress will finally get to use its wall spikes now.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 08:25:39 pm »

A month and a half or so is ridiculously optimistic. Although there's every chance of a release this year, personally I rather hope Toady'll add a few more features first. It seems like many of the recent additions have brought the bough close to the ground in so many areas of low-hanging fruit. Add to that a prolonged bug-fix schedule... Yeah, early 2014 seems more likely.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 05:50:59 am »

You expect savegame compatibility? You are even more optimistic then I am.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 09:37:45 am »

Multi-tile trees is the thing that has me excited, because they open the door for multi-tile creatures.  Dragons, FB, and Colossi will no longer be 1x1, but fearsome earth-shaking monsters.  Then the 3x3 stairway may not be so popular any more.

BillyTheKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2013, 09:53:52 am »

I actually keep wondering if the game will be finished before Toady dies.

When he isn't working on the game, Toady is working on a model for a cyborg dwarf to continue the project after him. These Crayon paintings really are just schematics for constructing it. Every part must have a story. Every thought must be fueled by insanity.

ChuckWeiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2013, 03:57:03 pm »

Multi-tile trees is the thing that has me excited, because they open the door for multi-tile creatures.

I don't follow your logic on that one. We've had multi-tile randomly generated structures, and a tree is no different than that, other than it's made of wood.

Edit: We're also getting undead pulping; to make the list of upcoming features more complete. Pulping is finished by my understating.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 03:59:01 pm by ChuckWeiss »
When he dies for the Mountain, the Mountain will weep not tears, but Blood for the Blood God!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 04:00:46 pm »

You expect savegame compatibility? You are even more optimistic then I am.

I have no expectations, only plans.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2013, 04:09:55 pm »

Multi-tile trees is the thing that has me excited, because they open the door for multi-tile creatures.

I don't follow your logic on that one. We've had multi-tile randomly generated structures, and a tree is no different than that, other than it's made of wood.

Edit: We're also getting undead pulping; to make the list of upcoming features more complete. Pulping is finished by my understating.

Trees are a little different in that they require handling of growth that can change their size, which has further reaching effects than it sounds like at first.  Still a long way from multitile creatures, but it's a small step in that direction.

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2013, 06:06:10 am »

As much as I'd like for the new version to hit ASAP, I think anywhere near june/july is pretty much ruled out.

Sometime around october-november, or even early 2014 seems more likely to me.

I have no specific reason to state this, but implementing something and then making sure newly implemented features don't break the rest of the game (which as far as my understanding goes is what Toady is doing right now) are both very time consuming tasks.
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!
Pages: 1 [2] 3