Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Tempus Fugit: D&D 3.5 PBP-Chapter 1.2: Meanwhile...  (Read 11258 times)

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
Re: Tempus Fugit: D&D 3.5 PBP-Chapter 1.1: Cross purposes
« Reply #120 on: June 20, 2013, 02:07:27 pm »

Anciano started as he saw Durham run onto the ship. "Who is she? How did she get hurt?"

Make a Heal check to stabilize the person, and cast Cure Minor Wounds.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 21, 2013, 01:54:17 am »

((Magic makes a good old heal/stop bleeding check unnecessary. Then again, you don't always have magic and a skill check can let you find or identify injuries magic wouldn't...such as Anciano connecting the handclaws to Durham's own.))

Anciano holds his hands over the womans wounds, incanting a single word. There is a small soft glow, like a candle, and this it flutters away. Even the most minor of healing is still all but a miracle, and the dreadful wound begins to heal. She is still heavily injured, but no longer in danger of death.

He wonders why the woman he just saved has claws on her hands, stained with fresh blood. Judging by the long slashing wound on Durhams chest, it's his blood.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 02:01:23 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 21, 2013, 06:29:23 pm »

((Can I make a skill check to determine her exact health? If so, I do that.))

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 21, 2013, 09:39:35 pm »

Morazin stands by and watches the proceedings. "So, exactly what happened that resulted in you bringing a girl near death onto the ship?'
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 22, 2013, 01:51:54 am »

((Can I make a skill check to determine her exact health? If so, I do that.))

((Your previous success counts for that. She's at exactly 1 HP now, and will probably wake up sooner rather than later.))
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 22, 2013, 03:53:09 pm »

Morazin stands by and watches the proceedings. "So, exactly what happened that resulted in you bringing a girl near death onto the ship?'

Durham can barely speak, each word interrupted by a heavy wheeze.

"Went to find... Seuche. Like I said. Didn't I? Don't. Remember." He lays her on the floor of the ship now. At least she's not dying now. "But someone's out. To kill us. Or me. Probably me."

He points to the slash marks on his chest and takes a few moments to catch his breath.

"Anyway. It is ironic. That in an attempt to avoid death, I nearly caused it. Or suffered it."

He scratches the back of his hand, only now thinking through the obvious question: what next?

"They'll come after us again. Or me. Or her. I think..." He looks toward Anciano. "I think it's fine to split up in the ship. But it's unwise to split up at all while we're around the port. I was foolish to go there without someone like you or Morazin alongside me in the first place."

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 22, 2013, 04:20:57 pm »

"....well then, this is a fine kettle of fish. We should probably question her when she wakes up as to who exactly asked her to target us and/or you." Morazin smiles. "However, our current task is to clear out the monster in the bottom of the ship. The plan as it stands now is that most of us distracts it while someone dashes to the release lever to get rid of the water. Any ideas?"
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 23, 2013, 02:44:55 am »

The woman twitches in her restful sleep as if struck, her still armed handclaws drumming on the floor once. As if to underscore the question, what shall you do with her for now?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 23, 2013, 04:18:58 am »

"Yes, you were. Damned fool. Anyway, it would be wise to remove her weaponry. She did try to kill you. We can put her in one of the cleared cabins, get the dwarf with the club to watch her. "

Konicek gestured downwards with the glaive, careful not to skewer someone with the heavy blade.
The plan we made before should still work - if nothing else work better with another fighter.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 23, 2013, 03:35:16 pm »

"All good ideas." Durham nodded humbly toward Konicek. "I'll admit, I am feeling a bit confident after besting a woman with twice my combat prowess."

Before he does anything else, Durham attempts to remove the girl's claw weapons and examines them, seeing if they might be useful to any of the group when they venture below.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 25, 2013, 01:42:35 am »

Durham carefully removes the girls handclaws, unlocking them from her gauntletlike gloves-after fishing a small key from a hidden pocket on her left pantleg.

He studies them, and conclude they are fairly unwieldly weapons-requiring a great deal of training to use effectively...but, they are highly concealable and quite vicious. Yet, not terribly useful for what they are about to face. He wonders where Thrush got something like this...

But, further questions are saved for later-the girl and her equipment are hustled away on Koniceks order by the Dwarves, and Dwali promises to keep her secured until you're done cleaning up the mess.

The plan is simple enough-Morazin and Konicek, in addition to Durham now, will distract the beast while Sabio hits the switch-hopefully denying the beast it's aquatic advantage. Then again, no plan survives first contact with the enemy, right?

Morazin is the first down-he steps carefully, not wanting to anger the beast until they've secured the other room. The others follow.

[14]

He immediately hears an ominous hiss, and a lashing of water behind him. Damn. He sees a what can only be a fleshy limb of some sort pop up from the water, covered in a pockmark of angry slitted eyes-they blink in unison, and glare at him angrily for disturbing their rest...

Konicek gives the door a swift boot [6+3=9 vs DC 13] but the damn thing doesn't budge!

[19]

The Thing that begins to rise from the muck behind the group is nothing more or less than a giant mouth on legs. A drift of old bones clatters from it's rest as it emerges...

Green slime runs in rivulets between bony teeth, as it tumbles through the water. A thick tongue, red as blood, lashes the air as if already tasting it's next meal. Two thrashing tentacles on it's sides snake toward the party with uncanny agility, belaying the beasts ponderous size.

Needless to say, Konicek slam the door once more, [19+3=22 vs DC 13] and is rewarded with the splinter of rotten wood as it collapses in on itself.

Morazin and Durham shuffle in behind him, and they take the narrow chokepoint in a rough defensive line.

The creature pauses for a moment, as it fully emerges from the water, stumbling onto the mud on three withered and atrophied stumps of legs. It reeks of death-and desperation. It's a sick, dying beast. The creature has grown large, and has been slowly starving to the death in the tiny hold it's only ever known as a home, and it will no doubt continue to attack until slain. It's eye tentacle scopes around hesitantly, as if looking for something.

The stench only gets worse, naturally.

Anciano hears enough to know what's going on...he peers down the stairway carefully.

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
Re: Tempus Fugit: D&D 3.5 PBP-Chapter 1.1: There's something alive in here
« Reply #131 on: June 25, 2013, 12:10:00 pm »

"That doesn't sound good. I hope I find this switch quickly." said he he prayed to the Gods for help finding the switch.

Cast Guidance and search for the second switch. If it is found, flip it.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 25, 2013, 02:10:06 pm »

Morazin backs up a step and lets loose a stream of fire!

((........3 ones in a row for my fire blast? Really?!))

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 25, 2013, 02:30:46 pm »

"This is suicide. Just like I thought."

Durham hangs back behind Konicek and Morazin, waiting to see how deadly the creature is before engaging it.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 26, 2013, 04:31:07 am »

Morazin lets out a weak fan of flame, which doesn't do much damage...

[10+1]

But, at least that got the beasts attention! It breaks into a lumbering stride, casting a barbed tentacle at [2] Morazin! Predictably enough.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Morzin hops back adroitly, and the fat tentacle slams into the wooden siding with a noise like mud squishing in a boot. This only seems to make it angrier, and the other tentacle slams back and forth between the walls, sending hollow booms throughout the vessel.

Konicek jabs his spear as it approaches, but the monster is canny and sumps itself back-it keeps it's body out of range of his weapon while trying to use it's long tentacles to drag it's prey 'home'. They'll have to draw it closer, perhaps, or hope they can kill it somehow else.

Anciano looks down again, incanting a small prayer for aid.

He sees there's no way he can sneak past the monster now, unless he's either very lucky, or the others draw it closer to the door. What will he do?

Spoiler: Our Heroes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Beast (click to show/hide)

((@Chink: Oh yeah, I was in something of a hurry to move the fight forward, but this time only I'll let you retroactively cast any buffs of heals you'd like and they'll take affect in this fight. Was wondering why you never healed Durham, really. :P Didn't I explain he had long, gashing, bleeding wounds? ))

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11