Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Tempus Fugit: D&D 3.5 PBP-Chapter 1.2: Meanwhile...  (Read 11269 times)

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
Re: Tempus Fugit: D&D 3.5 PBP-Chapter 1: Shove off
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2013, 03:08:25 pm »

"I'd be fine with taking all of you along with us, but I doubt all of my companions here would be too happy. Although, just so you know, it will probably be just as dangerous here with us on the ship."

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2013, 03:15:49 pm »

Durham sees no need to bluff. These folk were destitute.

"I'd be fine with taking all of you along with us, but I doubt all of my companions here would be too happy. Although, just so you know, it will probably be just as dangerous here with us on the ship."

"On the contrary! I feel these folk would be of use to us somehow. Even if we only teach them one thing about maintaining a ship, that's one more crewman each."

Durham then spoke to the dwarf himself.

"We are not rich. If you work for us at all, we could pay you, but it's more likely money will be scarce starting up - especially with the costs of fuel. From time to time, if you live here, you may have to suffer near-pennyless along with us."

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2013, 04:09:49 pm »

"I agree, if nothing else another pair of hands on board cannot hurt. I will have to point out, though, that space on board is limited, so it might be a good idea to cull down your possessions to what could fit in one footlocker each."
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2013, 04:22:29 pm »

"As long as they don't interfere with my quest, I have no complaints. Though I don't know anything about ships, so I can't teach them anything."
Konicek paused as something struck him.
"We don't even know their names. Let's at least hear their names before we hire them."

Konicek looks towards the docks, checking nothing was taking undue interest in the conversation. This city of parasites may very well host a being with a plan of becoming captain itself.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2013, 07:26:27 pm »

"As long as they don't interfere with my quest, I have no complaints. Though I don't know anything about ships, so I can't teach them anything."
Konicek paused as something struck him.
"We don't even know their names. Let's at least hear their names before we hire them."

Konicek looks towards the docks, checking nothing was taking undue interest in the conversation. This city of parasites may very well host a being with a plan of becoming captain itself.

"Oh excuse me, good point! Introductions may be in order here. I am Morazin, and who do we have the pleasure of talking to?"
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2013, 10:30:48 pm »

"Well, at least you can face it head on, right? That's all any Dwarf wants."

"I agree, if nothing else another pair of hands on board cannot hurt. I will have to point out, though, that space on board is limited, so it might be a good idea to cull down your possessions to what could fit in one footlocker each."

The Dwarf seems to be both pleased and slightly embarrassed to have rely on you for help.

"Aye, easy enough..."

He coaxes his family out, and after some words in Dwarvish, they begin clearing the deck-tossing most things overboard.

"Oh excuse me, good point! Introductions may be in order here. I am Morazin, and who do we have the pleasure of talking to?"

"Ah...my names Dwali, my wife's Thrugi, my two sons Keemo and Dweemo, and my daughter Tazi."

Konicek sees few figures in the gloom, though a few of the skulking fishmen pad by at one moment-look at the direction of the ship in eerie unison-and scamper off.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2013, 02:43:42 am »

"Now while they clean up topside, I'll go ahead and unlock belowdeck and get started on inventorying everything"

Morazin takes out his key and heads for the door to belowdecks

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2013, 02:47:55 am »

"Let's get back to clearing out the rest of the ship, now."

Enter the lower areas of the ship.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2013, 04:11:13 am »

"I am Konicek Gig. The halfblood is Durham Westfall. The Last one is Morazin."

Follow belowdecks.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2013, 04:41:35 am »

Keys are produced, locks opened-the Dwarf family continues to clear the deck, stowing their meager possessions...

Three adventurers begin to descend a wide set of double stairs-somewhat alarmed at the regular blasts of stale, almost swamplike air that regularly pulses at them from below.

Judging by the schematics the Dwarf showed you, there are two levels of the vessel connected to a central stair, underneath the deck-and on each level, two large storage rooms at the stern and bow ends.

The stairs do not creak as you pass. In fact, silence rules all...until you begin to hear insects, of a sort.

Their view of the second floor is...somewhat depressing. A collection of green sludge-you don't want to know-completely envelops this entire floor, and the entire lower deck. It's drowning the entire bottom half of the stairs and the entire lower tier of the ship. The length of the vessel to either side is boot deep in this muck...which includes a variety of interesting plants and tiny animals-worms, bugs...was that a fish?

Your ship has been turned into a swamp.

None of you know what to say, so you check the note once more.

Addm~Rainwater may have backed up a big in the ships hold, forgot to mention. No big problem-just pull the emergency release switches. There's one in the bow section of both lower decks, that will lower the water level no matter how deep it's built up. But you'll have to pull both if it's really backed up. Unless you wanna swim-that'll be quicker, if you can just hit the main switch at the bottom. After that, break out the prestidigitation wands I left in yer bunks, ye can clean er in no time flat.

Also! So forgetful today. There might be a Grig or two left in the hold-I paid the exterminators enough, though, heh. Little...annoying...things. Don't let them play their little fiddles. Hard to even hurt em, so don't bother. Just try and ignore em, or toss em overboard. They're good with practical jokes, see? Heh. I don't think you'll laugh much, though...but they're more or less harmless, huh?

Hey, good luck, eh. I hope we never meet again!

...Caveat emptor?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 08:18:40 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tempus Fugit: D&D 3.5 PBP-Chapter 1.1: Pressure Release
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2013, 10:05:47 am »

Konicek growled as slime slopped around his boots.
"I was not aware that i was purchasing a bog. Crows take that dwarf!"

He looked around, holding his glaive ready to meet a threat.
"Something is causing the air to gust like that. I doubt we have working machinery down here, so it may very well be some kind of creature. Be wary. Where is the halfblood, anyway? Another fighter would be useful in close quarters like these."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2013, 10:08:17 am »

((Freeform is auto-following/auto-fighting you guys by his orders from PM.

Though maybe he could just post that himself. :P ))

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2013, 12:34:12 pm »

Morazin blinks. "Ok, this might be a little challenging, but nothing a good scouring with fire can't fix. Onwards to the switches!"

Morazin plows through the bog in search of the first release switch, wary of anything that might bite

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2013, 01:23:24 pm »

*squelch, squelch, squelch*

Boots trod up and down in thick muck, as Morazin plows through the bog. He occasionally comes to a small door on either side-and while they open to a struggle, they are usually revealed as kitchens or closets. Predictable enough and...no surprises, yet. Though at one point, a pale looking plant with hand like fronds latches onto his arm and he plucks it away with a shudder.

And amazingly, despite all this, there's no actual damage to the ship itself-were it normal wood, the floor would have rotted out long ago, or broken under your feet as passed. Every nail, every plank of this ship has been enchanted, and it's still strong. No amount of mundane fire, rot or swordplay can damage it. Say what you will, at least the Dwarf wasn't completely lying. This is a good ship, albeit having seen much better days...one wonders if your seller knew entirely what he had on hand. Otherwise he might have taken it apart, and sold it piece by piece.

...Bow, bow-that's the front of the boat, right?

It takes a good ten minutes, most of which is spent struggling to open doors that have collected a fair amount of vegetative debris. When the door to the upper bow room is finally reached, Morazin merely kicks it askew-and is rewarded with a view of the front cargo bay. Slime, weeds trailing up the wall and hanging from the ceiling, thick dry mud forming a bulge in the center. A few tiny frogs croak sonorously on lilypads to complete the effect. No obvious danger can be seen-the water doesn't look deep enough to hide anything unsettling, being only up to your ankles. It takes a moment, but Konicek points out the far wall-a heavy, vine encrusted object that can only be a pull lever. That should be the easy part.

Durham points out something else, laying near the center 'island'-a sunken moldy humanoid corpse, mostly skeletal, laying on whatever is left of it's face. It seems to be holding a long iron shaft in one hand, and is wearing a ragged leather pack on it's back. It seems to be above the water line, which is the only reason anything is left.

[?+?]

Someone takes a first step, but Durham holds out a hand. He looks a bit closer at the corpse. No, it's not quite dead, not entirely-it's rotten chest occasionally rises and falls nearly imperceptibly, as if it's still breathing.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2013, 02:25:53 pm »

Durham's eyes went wide. "Anyone have a halfway decent healing incantation?"

He also tried to visually determine whether it would be possible to safely wade/swim through the gunk to the corpse-like creature and take the backpack it was wearing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11