Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Tempus Fugit: D&D 3.5 PBP-Chapter 1.2: Meanwhile...  (Read 11256 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 06:02:53 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tempus Fugit: D&D 3.5 PBP-Chapter 1: Shove off
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 03:24:28 am »

~Reserved for Lore~
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 03:28:10 am »

Major Races of the Abyss

Sahuagin/ An unhealthy amount of the violent fishmen seem to have been plucked from their distant oceans and dropped into the fairly dry Tempus in some sort of divine irony. They can live outside of the seas, but not happily and not for long-they need saltwater to live. As a consequence, they tend to be far more organized then other races, quickly banding together into larger and larger groups-though they seem to lack the capability to pilot Riftships with any real skill, which limits their threat. When they can, they'll lay claim to any place with an abundance of salt water and prodigiously increase their numbers, killing or driving away anyone in their way. Not unlike a swarm of locusts, they tend to strip everything they can from a place before moving on. Thus, they are viewed as dangerous pests by most people in Tempus and exterminated without remorse. They hate everyone, but Elves most vehemently.

Most sahuagin feature green coloration, darker along the back and lighter on the belly. Many have dark stripes, bands, or spots, but these tend to fade with age. An adult male sahuagin stands roughly 6 feet tall and weighs about 200 pounds.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 04:15:10 am by Dwarmin »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 03:52:49 am »

Here now, we look upon the Port of Ample. Despite it's central location in Tempus, there's no governing body here. It is for all intents and purposes, a floating city slowly crumbling into the abyss. Who can say where it came from originally? The architecture seems vaguely Elven, and indeed, many of the people residing here are Elves of various stripes. It's unknown if they came home, or merely found a place that reminded them of it.

It's a small place, rife with crime and petty warlords. Loot from various criminal enterprises floods the market as it's brought by pirate crews, making weapons and armor cheap and plentiful. People who end up here and can't escape fight over the scraps, dying over city blocks-and every night, bloody games ensue as they fight over the various shrines in the city to forgotten and nameless deities-like points on a scorecard, territory changes hands as easily as a game board. It is their sole amusement, and some believe it has deeper meaning. But no one has lived long enough to find it.

If anyone can, they get passage on an outbound ship. Wherever it's going. The Port of Ample is a place to move on from as quickly as possible.

Four Heroes (or maybe not so heroic) have gathered in one of the nicer bars to discuss business this 'morning'. They've found a ship...a cheap one. They've all made the trip as quickly and quietly as they could, knowing that in Tempus the rules of business are about as solid as the ground they are standing on.

The Tavern of  Dreams (What else but an Elf would name it that) is not usually a bustling place-people do not tarry long in Tempus, either moving or finding some place to not move. The tables, chairs, even the cups and glasses are an utterly random assortment of wood, ceramic, gold, silver, lead and other unidentifiable materials-everything here seems to be of a hundred different designs, not even one exactly the same. Everything one needs in Tempus literally falls out of the sky.

But today, four adventurers have occupied a corner table...they are concentrating on a young Dwarf wearing thin spectacles and poring over a ledger and documents. He has not spoken since they arrived, but he doesn't really need to.

One of the adventurers is an ancient looking gnome, bald and bearded. He's got a magical tome connected to him via shoulder strap, and his eyes are faded, yet gleam with intelligence and unsubdued wit. He's dressed in the fashion of a Priest.

Next to him, a young and spry Half-elf with a sword on his waist, and a shield on his back, and shifty look. His skin is tanned, he's wearing a heavy cloak and pauldrons that make it difficult to see him entirely. He's constantly casting about the room as if looking for prey, with a small smile on his face.

Third from the left, a tall and lanky Human with the air of Monk-he wears no armor, but a simple robe and bracers. And yet one cannot help but feel an air of power about him. Everytime he speaks, there is the slighest scent of sulfur on his breath.

Finally, a broad and strong man in heavy armor rounds out the end of the table. Scars, tans and shadows indicate a life lived roughly-his face is hidden underneath a slitted helm, and on his back is a vicious looking glaive. His armor and equipment would mark him as something like a Paladin, but there is no air of mysticism about him, only of strength and honor.

Each of the four have brought a large sum of 'gold' with them-carefully sealed in a small chest or bag, it is now in front of them. The coins are as random as anything else-copper, silver, cold, platinum in a million different designs-but, no one cares. New currency gathered from Appears is stamped with an iron 'T' mark using a quick-magic rune, and they are all worth the same thing. Bartering is usually preferred in most cases. Each of them know that the combined wealth could alone, buy a moderately comfortable life. If a short one. Indeed, a few might even be tempted to take it all...but these sort are a little wiser than that.

Together, their money will each buy them a quarter stake in a Riftcutter vessel. It's the only way out. Out from Tempus. Anywhere, to keep from clocking out. The Dwarf nods, and smiles. He hands a contract to each of the four, and one by one they sign.

The gold vanishes when they finish.

And finally, the Dwarf begins to speak. He takes a key-ring with four intricate looking keys on it and puts in front of your group.

"...All's well that ends well, yeah? Those keys right there, one for each of ya. Allows ya to turn on, power, and steer the ship, universal keys to unlock any of the doors. Try not to let em get stolen eh! Heh.

Now, there's a list I got here...here we go. Basic specs. She's a smooth runner, if a bit dated. Might wanna trade up if you manage to get to Port Nothing...but you're probably not gonna get that far. You'll need...teeny bit of legwork to get er running. Clean out the cargo hatch, and all that. Should be no problem for the likes of you.

Ah well. Be seeing ya lads-I mean, if ya die, I'll reclaim your ship and sell it off again. Like I did for the last crew that tried this. Lifes grand, ain't it?"
He says, doffing his hat with a grin and exiting the inn.

And that leaves the four of you-friends in the loosest sense-alone with each others company.

A wall clock-with no timehands on it's face-hung over the bar clacks away loudly, the bar owners sense of black humor apparent.

The hastily scrawled list indicates useful information. Amusingly, he seems to have deliberately misspelled his words in Dwarven slang. What a colorful fellow.

Quote from: wot you need to shove off
Yer Ship

Ship Name: The White Queen (Feel free to rename her, eh)
Class: Riftcutter Frigate (Good for carrying about 10 people on a long trip, maybe twice that on a short one. Don't get into any shooting fights, yer prolly won't win. Best run with your speed, lads.)
Armament: Four small Rotary Magicannons on top deck (Piddly little things. Good for scaring things, not for hurting them. Bigger things will just get angry. Best buy something better if you're intending to defend yourself.)
Speed and Maneuver: Very Good (There's one advantage to traveling light!)
Power:  None (oops?)
Cargo: Four Holds (All empty, or worse than empty. Clean em out and put in what you like. Workshops, cargo, eh?)

Wot you need to take off (In this Dwarfs opinion)

1. A five man crew in addition to yourselves. A good helmsman at the very least. Unless one of you lot wanna try to run the ship yourself. Hey, how else does anyone learn? Might wanna pick up some good lads to help ya fight, if you're thinking about making trouble.
2. Clean up yer ship. Didn'a I mention she's a bit old? Well, stuff appears, or gets left in. Best check belowdecks, dump out the tanks-and whatevers in em. Who knows what's gotten in there.
3. Purchase a new engine. Well, the last one blew up. Didn'a figure you would mind if I left it as a surprise, hey? I figure you can get one cheap from Craw. Check down by the arena platform. If you're short on cash, I've no doubt you can find some way to entertain him.
4. Charts from Aggroly. Eh, get the latest automagick navigation charts from the Wizard Aggroly. Maybe even hire him, he's looking for passage. Unless you wanna die. Void changes day by day, right?
5. Pay your dues to 'Privateer' Captain Seuche. She's a nice lass, but she'll give you Hell if you don't treat her to something fancy before you shove off. Might decide to follow ya if she's bored. You don't want her to follow ya. She'll be down by the dock, of course-look for the biggest ship, the Swan. You know, the one that could blow you of the abyss without a problem.
6. Watch out for the Flensers. They're a Sahuagin gang near the dock where your ship is. They'll probably try to kill ya if they see ya. Kill em back first.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 06:21:32 am by Dwarmin »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 05:01:56 am »

Konicek growled. 'May the crows see his sins. We should clear out our ship first before looking for anything else.'
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 07:32:33 am »

Morazin chuckles and shakes his head ruefully. "So, he thinks he's pulled a fast one on us huh? Goes to show he doesn't know us well. Let's show him it'll be a cinch getting this old tub running!" He turns to Konicek "I agree, lets inspect the ship first."

((ooc note: At the beginning of every day I'm always gonna use Endure Exposure on everyone to make them immune to my breath weapons(as well as having the side benefit of granting endure elements)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 07:45:28 am by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 09:58:33 am »

"WELL!" Durham slams his fist down on the table the dwarf left 'em at, rattling it (and a couple patrons). "Isn't this a little adventure? I thought we'd be THROUGH with bureaucracy when we emptied out our gold sacks, but it looks like we still have some business to clear up before we sail off."

Morazin chuckles and shakes his head ruefully. "So, he thinks he's pulled a fast one on us huh? Goes to show he doesn't know us well. Let's show him it'll be a cinch getting this old tub running!" He turns to Konicek "I agree, lets inspect the ship first."
Konicek growled. 'May the crows see his sins. We should clear out our ship first before looking for anything else.'

Durham nodded to Morazin and Konicek.

"You two go do that. Yeah. I'm going to see about this Seuche fellow, personally. Unless-" Durham turned to Anciano, the gnome - "-unless someone would like to accompany me. Watch how the 'pros' do it, so to speak, hm?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 10:26:52 am »

The Elven bartender looks up from cleaning his glasses.

"Woah, settle down! You don't wanna start a bar fight do you?"

*grumble, grumble*
"Six this month already..."

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 10:40:13 am »

Anciano slowly got up from the table and leaned on his walking stick. "We might as well stick together, Durham. We can see Captain Seuche later."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 11:24:16 am »

"You two go do that. Yeah. I'm going to see about this Seuche fellow, personally. Unless-" Durham turned to Anciano, the gnome - "-unless someone would like to accompany me. Watch how the 'pros' do it, so to speak, hm?"

Konicek shook his head, shadows shifting on his face. "You should follow us, halfblood. Slight of tongue wouldn't help you against a dozen swords if you cause offence. And I don't trust you. Nor your kind."

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 11:31:07 am »

Konicek shook his head, shadows shifting on his face. "You should follow us, halfblood. Slight of tongue wouldn't help you against a dozen swords if you cause offence. And I don't trust you. Nor your kind."

Durham's eyes narrowed.

"My kind? And just want 'kind' is that? You hate elves? Humans? Or are you a cutthroat to them all?"

He leaned forward on the table. "I was merely offering to help, but if you're looking to make a problem here, I got ninety-nine already. What's another to me?"

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 11:59:24 am »

"Hey hey hey, there's no need for that! Has he given any cause for suspicion until now? No? Then don't go accusing him of something born out of personal dislike." Morazin turns to Durham. "Anciano's right though, we do need to stick together at this point. Given this place, I wouldn't have put it past that dwarf to have left a few "surprises" on board to "facilitate" a resale, if you get my drift."
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 02:10:51 pm »

"The memory is foggy. The detail is clear. One of your kind was my greatest foe."
Konicek matched Durham's stare until Morazin cleared his throat loudly.
"...Fine. I shall drop the matter. Let us proceed to the ship."
Konicek wrapped a hand around the shaft of the glaive and stood.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 03:01:59 am »

After some interpersonal trouble, the team decides as one to head down to their vessel and begin the clean up....

The Streets of Ample are usually not very festive. People seldom walk abroad-the group spots the occasional bolt peeking at them from a window now and again, tracking their movements until they are out of range. There is a casual wariness one must have to survive here. Aside from the gangs, the very city is suffused with wild arcane-golems rising from the cobblestones, inanimate objects growing sentient, the dead spontaneously twitching back to life...

[77]

But for good or ill, nothing bars their way...for now.

[4][14-1][17]

Durham thinks he spots a figure (or figures) shadowing them from a distance-but everyone he looks back, the person (or persons) is gone.

The Docks of Ample

A light rain begins to fall as they descend the cracked stairs towards the dockyard. Once there were decoratively carved wooden banners here, but they have long been stolen and burned for warmth.

Konicek checks the documents again. Berth Eight...

Needless to say, when they find the ship it seems singularly unimpressive. A sturdy single masted riftship, with the words 'WHITE QUEEN' emblazoned on the port side. Recent repaired damage suggests it was battered with heavy magicannon rounds, detonating the power core. Then the crew was dead in the abyss, literally. Anyway, with a nice coat of paint and some general maintenance, it should be shipworthy once you've inspected the interior. At the bottom of the ship, near the trash chutes, a green slime trails out into the void. Ugh. It must be full by now...someone will have to go down and pull the lever to flip the garbage tanks out.

The deck is indeed cluttered with lots more trash and refuse from the numerous squatters who have used it as a temporary home. In fact, the group spots once such Squatter group now. A grungy Dwarven family-man, woman, and three small children-have erected a few leather and cloth tents on the deck into a makeshift camp on the deck of your ship. Dwarf clothes hang out on a cloth line over the abyss to drip dry. A middle area contains a few chests and chairs, and a cookpot suspended over hotrocks-your ship is not the kind that burns with mundane fire. The smell of heavily spiced cooking meat wafts toward your noses. It's obvious they could not descend any lower, not having the keys each of you you now hold, and merely use it to shelter themselves from the elements and use the facilities-and since there is only a narrow gangplank (wide enough for two men maybe) it would probably be easier to defend. Of note, above the door to the deck cabin lies a heavy silvery Kite shield, made of fine material and kept in good condition. Anciano knows a bit of Dwarvish, and recognizes it as a family crest-when the others explain to him the words (he can't see very well in his age), he roughly translates it as 'Always in Honor, Bound to the Stone'

The Dwarf family doesn't see your group though, huddled close to a tiny cooking pot perched over hotrocks, eagerly awaiting lunch. Occasionally a small Dwarf girl plays a tiny flute hesitantly but aptly, almost as if embarrassed she knows how. The man dwarf has no weapon but a long spoon in his hands, though he may keeps his arms in one of the grubby tents nearby. The Dwarf mother seems to be sowing holes in socks, and her two sons clack wooden play swords against one another in a clumsy duel, an amusingly childish imitation of what most of most of you can do for real.

Well they could be their children. Who can really tell? For all the group knows, it's the other way around. Tempus is weird.

Your group shuffles their feet, deciding what to do about this situation.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 04:49:21 am by Dwarmin »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 06:31:15 am »

"We should board it rapidly, not give them a chance to raise the gangplank. Then, halfblo- Westfall, you could question them as to getting a crew. Then we throw them out. They can keep their stuff if they answer well."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11