Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18

Author Topic: Obsidian Graphics Set (Updated 24/7/2013 - v0.8) - Now with ANIMATED GRASS!  (Read 306899 times)

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian Graphics Set (Updated 24/7/2013 - v0.8) - Now with ANIMATED GRASS!
« Reply #135 on: January 04, 2015, 03:11:03 pm »

Im not sure why but using this tile set, even fallowing the manual install directions removes my "brew drink from plant" reaction from the still.  meaning that the game is unplayable.  i have been looking everywhere for a fix and asking around but so far i haven't got any answers on how to fix this.  anyone have any ideas?

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
  • ...and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 04, 2015, 08:13:39 pm »

This is all looking fantastic. I'm especially pleased that you're going for a larger resolution.

Thanks. :)

Im not sure why but using this tile set, even fallowing the manual install directions removes my "brew drink from plant" reaction from the still.  meaning that the game is unplayable.  i have been looking everywhere for a fix and asking around but so far i haven't got any answers on how to fix this.  anyone have any ideas?

The manual install doesn't work anymore for the newest Dwarf Fortress version. You should use the unofficial update. I have changed the first post to link them.

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2015, 06:45:24 am »

Some more adjustments and tiles. Finally happy with kobold and goblin details.

row 1
dwarf, elf, human, quiver, ammo1, ammo2, necklace, earrings, swordsdwarf, armor rack, thread, shield, helm, woodpile, bars, backpack, cage, prepared food, glob (fat, tallow, etc.), bin, tanned skin, crutches, instrument, slab, cabinet, statue, bracelet, cloth, traction bench, animal trap, ring
row 2
kobold, goblin, troll, archery target, anvil, quern, ash, barrel, bucket, master wrestler, armor, gloves, boots, pants, block, boulder, well, toy, book, egg, cheese, web, coffin1, coffin2, chair, table, meat, chain, bed, crown, figurine
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 06:49:49 am by Obsidian Soul »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2015, 01:00:25 pm »

You are a pixel-magician. They look fantastic. They do have a lot of color though, did you test them ingame? If the game applies "dark grey" for steel over your already dark grey armor, it might be hard to see.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 06, 2015, 09:23:20 am »

You are a pixel-magician. They look fantastic. They do have a lot of color though, did you test them ingame? If the game applies "dark grey" for steel over your already dark grey armor, it might be hard to see.

Thanks. :) The colors are the "ideal" target look, and they will certainly still need to be adjusted before getting them ingame (along with transparencies and backgrounds). And nope, haven't tested anything yet.

I still don't understand how the overrides actually will work, but I'll come to that when I have all the graphics done. I think mifki implemented color overrides as well.

Speaking of TWBT, have you had much luck with your experiments? I'm curious about the building sets in particular. Are fully unique tiles for each building possible or do they still share tiles? I'm wondering how I should tackle things like siege engines or workshops. Not to mention tree leaves and how they differ for different species (pine vs. palm vs. mahogany, for example).

But yeah, one thing at a time. As I've said before, I really am not very good at the coding part.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 09:24:56 am by Obsidian Soul »

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 06, 2015, 10:16:20 am »

I still don't understand how the overrides actually will work, but I'll come to that when I have all the graphics done. I think mifki implemented color overrides as well.

Speaking of TWBT, have you had much luck with your experiments? I'm curious about the building sets in particular. Are fully unique tiles for each building possible or do they still share tiles? I'm wondering how I should tackle things like siege engines or workshops. Not to mention tree leaves and how they differ for different species (pine vs. palm vs. mahogany, for example).

Sapcefox workshop override examples:

Here you can find this config to use as a template.

Color overrides are possible, you have to experiment to see what works, in the illustration lower right tile is colored.

Unique workshop tiles are also possible wherever you can target the tile in question. I don't know what happens with the "empty tiles" (eg. upper left tile in illustration), I think you can target those with 0, but I think that'll also target all the other empty tiles too.
Haven't messed around with siege engines, but they are in the building list, so shouldn't be any problems. As you can see you can distinguish between magma and regular smelters, but (sadly) not between magma and regular kilns and glass furnaces.

Another advice: you need to define most of the items twice in overrides: as items (in stockpiles) and as built items like beds, tables, etc. If you want, you can use different sprites for this purpose.
But pay attention that the item/building IDs and Type names are different most of the time, and case-sensitive.
eg: itemID: WEAPONRACK, itemType: WEAPONRACK, buildingID: WEAPON_RACK, buildingType: Weaponrack

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 06, 2015, 10:24:32 am »

Thanks. :) The colors are the "ideal" target look, and they will certainly still need to be adjusted before getting them ingame (along with transparencies and backgrounds). And nope, haven't tested anything yet.

But yeah, one thing at a time. As I've said before, I really am not very good at the coding part.

Since you asking for TWBT info, here is what i know so far:
1. Current version of plugin allows you to have unique tiles for every building, but same tiles in same building will share same tile number if overridden
fricy already described it well

2. Tile numbers that become free to use after addition of TWBT support (for vanilla raws):
0, 18, 23, (24, 25, 26, 27 - good to use as ballista arrowhead, since other DFHack plugin actually uses them on map), 28, 29, 41, 56, 57, 81, 86, 113, 117, 121, 122, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 136, 138, 139, 140, 141, 144, 151, 160, 161, 163, 166, 171, 226, 244, 245, 252, 255

3. Speaking about trees: If you want completely unique branches/twigs/etc. – assign them to default wall tiles and use overrides (considering, you are out of free tiles). Behaviour of leaves is quite strange. By default, leaves on tree use tile taken from d_init.txt (TREE_BRANCHES), but if you go to tree raws, you'll find [GROWTH:LEAVES] sections, containing line like [GROWTH_PRINT:0:6:2:0:0:ALL:1] (this taken from plant_new_trees/ABACA), where green numbers control colour (as usual), orange number controls tile of this particular growth taken as item (and i don't know how "take leaves as item" works), and red one controls it's tile while on a tree. Default value is 0, so game itself overrides it to TREE_BRANCHES tile from d_init (and that's quite unusual behaviour), but you are free to set any number you like.
Added: same works with flowers/fruits, with only difference is that usually they have tile different from 0
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 10:29:14 am by HaterSkater »
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Duerer TWBT tileset v.0.6.A

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 06, 2015, 11:39:59 am »

A huge thanks, guys. This helps immensely! :)

I also meant more along the lines of unique buildings, rather than just tiles, i.e making multitile building sprites that only come together when they are built. Like this (example only):

Similar to what meph did in incorporating those orc buildings (I think?) and dragon statues in his experiments. So does this mean that, e.g. if I change the graphic for one tile in the ore smelter, another workshop which also use that tile will also be changed, therefore making it impossible to create fully unique buildings? :(

That said, the news that leaves/growths can be set from raws and the fact that free items and built items can be set separately is very good news.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 12:05:20 pm by Obsidian Soul »

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 06, 2015, 12:12:30 pm »

So does this mean that, e.g. if I change the graphic for one tile in the ore smelter, another workshop which also use that tile will also be changed, therefore making it impossible to create fully unique buildings? :(
I'll take mason workshop as example. It uses tile 177 (or 176, i can't recall) three times.
That means you can make override
[OVERRIDE:177:B:WORKSHOP_MASON:Workshop::<your tileset>:<your tile>:<new foreground>:<new background>*]
that will switch any tile #177 found in mason workshop (only in mason workshop! so you can use other overrides for other shops) to <your_tile>

But, unfortunately, you can not switch any of three #177 to three different tiles. For building overrides, you are allowed to change tile based on ID/type of building and tile number, but not on tile position

* As mifki said, you may skip these two, if you don't want to change colour. He made it this way for backward-compability
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Duerer TWBT tileset v.0.6.A

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 06, 2015, 12:23:51 pm »

Ah. So it's still possible, just slightly limited by the tiles actually used per building. I think I understand now. My only real goal is to make the workshops look more coherent. Like they're all part of one building, rather than just a set of different tiles. I think I can still achieve that with part of the non-repeating tiles used. Should be enough. Thanks for the explanation. :)

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 06, 2015, 01:14:35 pm »

D'oh! You guys got me really excited talking about the custom buildings, but it seems it's still pretty limited. I drew up a quick example but finished it before the most recent posts.

But...if I can understand correctly, could something like this be possible if the metalsmith's forge were modded to use the tiles (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9) instead of the tiles (31, 0, 0, 8, 0, 8, 0 229, 240)? I know it probably isn't possible to use any of those tiles in workshops, but the idea here is to make every tile of a building be unique and then create a unique graphic for each. It would break the graphics when viewed without graphics sets but you'd have a lot more creative freedom.

But yeah, even if none of this is possible, I'd just like to let you guys know there's a big demand for great utilities like TWBT. :D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 01:19:33 pm by DragonDePlatino »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #146 on: January 06, 2015, 02:44:26 pm »

He meant those: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141608.0

Its possible to do for buildings that you can access in the raws. So for soapmaker and screw press for example, but not for all. All new modded buildings, yes. But unfortunately not for vanilla buildings.

They do look out of place in the otherwise tile-based world though. I made a few that look more fitting (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141608.msg5531649#msg5531649) but I'm not sure if I'd go through the touble of doing each workshop like this. But then again you are a way better pixel artist :P

A note: Please ignore the instruction on how to do it. My thread is outdated and Mifki has changed how these building graphics work by now. Just look at the pretty pictures, ignore the text. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 06, 2015, 04:21:41 pm »

I CANNOT CONTAIN MY EXCITEMENT.

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 06, 2015, 05:16:05 pm »

Haha. That would be seriously awesome, mifki! And yep, DragonDePlatino, what I figured too. Each tile in a building as long as they're not repeated in the same building type, will be able to use a unique override. Tiles reused in the same building can still be overridden but will only use one tile graphic for for all of them (so in your example, the tiles using 0 and 8 will look the same for the same building). Correct me if I'm wrong on this. And Meph, yeah of course, my custom buildings will still aim first and foremost to fit with the rest of tiles exactly like what you did with merchant stalls (similar to how my statues already try to look like the dwarves in my current tiles).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 06:25:11 pm by Obsidian Soul »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18