Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dorfs going insane despite artifact disabled...  (Read 868 times)

Eddis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dorfs going insane despite artifact disabled...
« on: June 05, 2013, 09:15:07 pm »

Hello everyone!

My first post. I have set artifacts to NO in the text config file. For about 5 years everything was going fine until I was notified that 1 dorf had "failed to create an artifact and has gone insane". He got the red ! mark over him and I had to shoot him down  :'(

Then, just a few minutes ago one of my highly trained ranged soldiers (off duty and out of squad to train on the pump) got melancholy (blue ! mark) with the same message about failing to create an artifact.

Am I missing another setting somewhere that needs to be turned off?

I would like to play vanilla but without the after-effects of artifacts (good or bad).

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Dorfs going insane despite artifact disabled...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 09:24:36 pm »

The game doesn't give you any messages when a dwarf fails to complete an artifact.

You get a pause-and-recentre when the mood hits, another when (if) the dwarf claims a workshop, and another when (if) the dwarf starts work on the artifact.

Did you get those messages? Are you using a mod? What was the exact message?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 10:14:45 pm »

Misreading the OP for great justice.

Artifacts are (supposedly) controlled in the init settings. IE, you can turn on or off the initiation of strange moods altogether. The OP's problem is that, apparently, changing this setting keeps dwarves from making artifacts, but still lets them go insane from being "chosen" for a "mood."
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Eddis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 10:51:39 pm »

Yes, taken from the forums:

I think it's in d_init.
Ahh you're right.
[ARTIFACTS:YES]
Change to
[ARTIFACTS:NO]

I did this 3 days ago, rolled a new world and embarked.

I have only finally tried DF a week ago and after discovering LNPack could actually get into it. I'm hooked  :D

Anyways, in previous embarks I encountered the centering on strage moods, how to check what they need and trying to provide for them so they dont go insane. The concept of it is not what I dislike mind you, and honestly I am now confident enough to remove the limitation. The original reason I wanted to disable it was because when I first started out I lacked the experience I have now.

So, the usual popup and recenter doesnt occur in this case. (Side note: I was watching that squad closely for happiness level, weight loss (I am attempting to get them less-corpulant) and physical characteristics like durable, strong, tough, doesnt tire easily etc.) The ranged unit in question (who has since died from starvation) was perfectly normal the entire time I was checking him (RL checking every 5-10 minutes or so).

The game suddenly just announces that the "dwarf went insane because he failed to create an artifact". No previous indication.

I am guessing that the game finds that artifacts are set to NO, but still assigns a mood for some reason which causes the game to instantly designate that dwarf as having failed and thus becoming insane with no notice.

I suppose I could turn it back ON and reroll again. It seems I proceed more and more with each embark, and TBH the first few years are the most interesting for me.

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 03:12:37 am »

I don't recall ever seeing any text about a dwarf failing to create an artifact.

Are you talking about the announcement made by soundsense? Soundsense doesn't actually have any knowledge of why your dwarves go insane; it just assumes it is artifact related.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 03:27:47 am »

The OP's problem is that, apparently, changing this setting keeps dwarves from making artifacts, but still lets them go insane from being "chosen" for a "mood."
Well yes, clearly there's a problem here, but the OP doesn't give enough information by itself and the information that is there is misleading because the game does not tell you about failed artifacts. This is also the first time I've heard any mention of this happening from turning off artifacts.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 05:00:03 am »

init settings don't require you to gen a new world, afaik, maybe it's different with the artifact setting, but the others, such as invaders or pop_cap, just take effect on start of the game
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 02:07:20 pm »

Never heard of this.  Then again, i've never heard of anyone actually turning artifacts off either....

If you plan to do this in the future, you can generate worlds after removing the [TRANCES] tag from the dwarf raws.  It will eliminate moods and martial trances.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 02:39:54 am »

...damn.  Now I kinda want a mod to give dwarfs an insane-for-no-reason lottery, with a similar frequency to that of strange moods, but without actually missing out on the artifacts.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 02:50:30 am »

Artifact failure isn't the only reason these guys go insane, though it's a surefire and well documented way. If he was hacked off with the world for a long enough time (miserable) he will eventually go insane.
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?

Eddis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 05:24:40 am »

The OP's problem is that, apparently, changing this setting keeps dwarves from making artifacts, but still lets them go insane from being "chosen" for a "mood."
Well yes, clearly there's a problem here, but the OP doesn't give enough information by itself and the information that is there is misleading because the game does not tell you about failed artifacts. This is also the first time I've heard any mention of this happening from turning off artifacts.

I think I might be confusing the voice from LNP Soundsense with what happened... It might have been that the dwarf just went insane from too many XX clothes and whatnot. It hasnt happened since then (knock). I stepped up some clothing production just in case.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 10:51:55 am »

The wear cycle of clothing is about six years or so...

If one dwarf has gotten to the point where their clothes are falling off from wear, others are likely to follow. Do a random sampling of civilian thought screens and see how many clothing thoughts you find.

Another option is to make armour pieces and put everyone in a squad. You can make dwarves go and pick up what's in their uniform instead of waiting for them to replace their own clothing, and armour doesn't wear regardless of the material. Dwarves with Mining, Woodcutting, or Hunting enabled won't go and wear their uniforms, because they already have one in the form of their job's weapon / armour.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 04:19:09 pm »

I don't recall ever seeing any text about a dwarf failing to create an artifact.
There actually is such a message: "Dwarf cancels Strange Mood: Went insane."

If you don't see that message, then either the dwarf went insane for some other reason (e.g. being unhappy) or you've turned job cancellation messages down too low.

If you plan to do this in the future, you can generate worlds after removing the [TRANCES] tag from the dwarf raws.  It will eliminate moods and martial trances.
WRONG - the TRANCES tag has absolutely nothing to do with strange moods.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.