Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Suicide  (Read 1522 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Suicide
« on: June 05, 2013, 12:10:33 am »

Do dwarves commit suicide after only being 'slightly' unhappy? My current fort is against a volcano, and everything is going fine. I'm at 43 dwarves, a metal indistry thriving, no hunger or thirst.. a couple of my dwarves are bummed out, but only because I forgot to actually make some beds and one of my miners valantly sacrificed himself to help get my forges ready. Magma moves faster than I thought it did. Anyways, everything seemed to be going fine, I punched a hole above my magma chamber for dumping unwanted garbage and goblins, then i received another migrant wave. As I was going through and assigning them jobs, a ''has been missing for a week.'' notice showed up. At first I figured a vampire, but when I checked the log I noticed that right before that, a hauler has ''bled to death.''

Now, there were no combat logs, so there was no fighting. No corpses. No bodies in beds, no drained of all blood, so no vampire. I noticed some smoke coming from my dumping hole, but thought nothing of it at the time. Thinking back on it now, I think my dwarves may have jumped in. But... is that something they DO?
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Suicide
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 12:16:55 am »

dwarves have been known to commit suicide. i think your hauler here made an error and just threw himself in by mistake.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 12:43:40 am »

How high up is the opening of the dumping hole from the magma/lava.  Dumping heavy objects now creates magma mist which will deep fry your dwarves.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 01:10:31 am »

Yeah, I had a dump zone about 3z levels above the caldera, which worked fine for a while, until I designated some stones for dumping...

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 03:27:12 am »

Magma and temperature in general are weird. Dwarves have been known to burn to death spontaneously months after exposure to heat. Also, "bleeding to death" without combat logs typically suggests death by fire. So it's probably volcano related.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 08:37:32 am »

bleeding to death is often an indicator of death by heat.  Instead of brain-death from overheating, the dwarf begins melting, and doesn't die until sufficient blood is lost.  A dwarf won't commit suicide by bleeding to death unless the dwarf has survived a suicidal fall and then bleeds.

A sane dwarf will not commit suicide.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 09:19:03 am »

Isn't there a bug that nothing dies from heat when thrown in the magma sea, but gets erased from existence when hitting the semi-molten rock floor?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 11:40:55 am »

It might have been the mist, as the hole is on te very top level of the magma chamber. I hadn't even considered that there could be splashback. Well that's irritating. Would just one more level up suffice? I guess I could surround it in walls and ramps or something.. or floor over it and move it elsewhere.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 11:46:15 am »

you can put a hatch/grate over the hole.  If its closed, dwarves will drop items onto the hatch as normal.  Then use a lever to retract it when no one's standing there.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 12:10:33 pm »

It might have been the mist, as the hole is on te very top level of the magma chamber. I hadn't even considered that there could be splashback. Well that's irritating. Would just one more level up suffice? I guess I could surround it in walls and ramps or something.. or floor over it and move it elsewhere.

mist height is directly proportional to mass and velocity of the object throne in. for most things in df 3 or 4 z levels clearance will suffice

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 12:27:29 pm »

Yeah, sounds like magma mist. I lost my first fort of the new version when I mass-designated a room of stones for dumping, and suddenly all the haulers caught on fire, and one managed to run outside and ignite an inferno that immolated everyone drinking from the river.

PotatoLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 03:11:18 pm »

you can put a hatch/grate over the hole.  If its closed, dwarves will drop items onto the hatch as normal.  Then use a lever to retract it when no one's standing there.

If the hallway leading up to the dumping zone is narrow, you could automate this process with a pressure plate.
Dude, you've created a Yeti with nothing to lose.

You've created Yeti Batman.

Aquathug

• Bay Watcher
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 05:57:15 pm »

A sane dwarf will not commit suicide.

I vote for putting this in the bugtracker.