Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf dies of heat by magma forge  (Read 1085 times)

ranciddwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf dies of heat by magma forge
« on: June 04, 2013, 09:35:55 am »

I had a dwarf who a few hours earlier (real time) survived four or five blasts of dragon fire and killed the dragon. There were no reported injures which I thought was impressive since he was a migrant who had just arrived during the attack, anyway I get an announcement that he died of heat, go to the location and its my magma forge level. At the same time I'm looking thru my fort for fires, I find two other dwarfs with massive blood loss, missing fat, melted limbs and one is still somehow hauling. They were also migrants who arrived during the attack. Is it possible that there was a delay in the game updating the dwarf's health status? My fps is around 50 but until the one dwarf dropped dead, there were no signs of problems or blood trails in the fort. The one other dwarf who was injured by a thief during the post dragon clean up promptly went to the hospital and was treated. I have also had a problem with dwarf therapist correctly reading the dead after the attack which is why I think it might be a game processing delay. 

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf dies of heat by magma forge
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 09:55:57 am »

dwarf therapist won't have any effect on when the game tells you someone dies.  Other than that, there could be a lot of explanations for temperature weirdness.  Dwarves exposed to magma with temperature off will survive, only to explode later if temperature is turned back on.  Items also burn at varying rates, its possible the dwarf had burning clothes and wasn't affected by them until later.  There probably isn't any significance to the magma forge unless the dwarf dodged and fell in (ghost, wild animal, tantrum).
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

ranciddwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 12:09:55 pm »

The dwarf therapist was showing dwarfs that were dead as still alive, instead of removing them like it had been doing, I was trying to find out how many of the migrants had died. With all the ash and smoke from trees and tame animals it was hard to tell if a name belonged to a dead dwarf or their pet. I keep two separate grave sites and wanted to know if I needed to added any additional coffins. It also showed a survive as happy when they were seconds away from a tantrum. Its just easier to use the therapist to spot unhappy dwarfs but with it not reading DF correctly and the other problems as mentioned what was made me wonder if there was some delayed response happening.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 12:14:23 pm »

I think I've seen hauler dwarves' fat melted by carrying items that had been exposed to dragonfire. I think I've seen similar things happen with fire-proof body parts that were submerged in magma for a long time. Cloudy thoughts...

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 12:16:27 pm »

DT doesn't actually tell you if someone dies. It only updates the dwarf list when you tell it to, and the only way to know if someone is dead, is that they won't be on the list, and process of elimination to ID who it was.

That being said, temperature in DF is weird and I don't know what to tell you.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 12:52:41 pm »

DT doesn't update in real time.  I've never gotten faulty information from it right after doing a "read dwarves."  Well, one time I got a bunch of "unknown unknown" as names, but a quick reset of the DT fixed that.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 01:09:15 pm »

Sometimes when I make channel to magma and set it to dump zone, there will occur spontaneusly combustions. I don't know if it's because some poor hauler falls into "garbage dump" while dumping stone there or if dumping stone there causes sometimes magma mist or something. Or the dwarves just want to sacrifice themselves to Armok.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 01:28:00 pm »

Sometimes when I make channel to magma and set it to dump zone, there will occur spontaneusly combustions. I don't know if it's because some poor hauler falls into "garbage dump" while dumping stone there or if dumping stone there causes sometimes magma mist or something. Or the dwarves just want to sacrifice themselves to Armok.
I remember reports of boiling copper, when I deliberately arrange fights on bridge over lava, but I never verified how they affect my population.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 03:33:34 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Magma_mist

By dumping almost anything into magma, you create magma mist. It is possible to make a safe magma dump, though I've never done it, so I can't give much advice aside from making the actual pit several Z-levels above the magma itself to keep the mist from reaching your dwarves.

UberFuber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 09:52:04 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Magma_mist

By dumping almost anything into magma, you create magma mist. It is possible to make a safe magma dump, though I've never done it, so I can't give much advice aside from making the actual pit several Z-levels above the magma itself to keep the mist from reaching your dwarves.

There are two ways. The first, as you said, is to have enough Z-levels.
Alternatively, if you're using the (d)ump order (which forbids on dump), you cover the magma pit with a grate or hatch and link it a lever. Keep it closed while dumping is in progress. Once everything you want dump is dumped (and everyone is cleared from the dump area), pull the lever and let everything fall into the magma.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 07:27:25 pm »

The dwarf therapist was showing dwarfs that were dead as still alive, instead of removing them like it had been doing, I was trying to find out how many of the migrants had died. With all the ash and smoke from trees and tame animals it was hard to tell if a name belonged to a dead dwarf or their pet. I keep two separate grave sites and wanted to know if I needed to added any additional coffins. It also showed a survive as happy when they were seconds away from a tantrum. Its just easier to use the therapist to spot unhappy dwarfs but with it not reading DF correctly and the other problems as mentioned what was made me wonder if there was some delayed response happening.
Yes, this is true. There is currently a bug where migrants who are killed as they migrate to the map get listed in DT. I've currently got about a dozen or so in mine, and have seen other people posting about that as well. It's easy to see them if you sort by migrant wave. They will always be listed in the most recent wave, even if no other dwarves came in that wave and continually change their wave each year. Even long after you stop getting migrants.
Basically any time you get an ambush/siege at the same time as a migration wave and dwarves get slaughtered before making it to the fort, they'll be bugged in DT.