Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Double Sided Siege  (Read 2046 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Double Sided Siege
« on: June 04, 2013, 09:22:11 am »

So, currently I'm under siege from both above, with a ton of goblins riding cave crocodiles, and below, with, at last count, 9 different forgotten beasts roaming the caverns. (They really don't matter much, it just adds to the extent of the siege.

Basically, I need to figure out something to do with this hoard of goblins at my doorstep (don't worry, they're blocked off by my rose gold bridges (I like to put the fancy metals to use, and since I'm currently buy out caravans with nothing but old clothing, I may as well make my place look pretty... right?).

My current population is 189 dwarves (That's a lot to keep in beds), and I have a full time military of 66 dwarves, ranging from complete noobs, to slightly experienced. Half wearing full bronze, the other half wearing nothing at all. (There's also about 120 dead dwarves too... forgotten beast accident, don't ask).

Currently, the plan is to keep living cut off from the surface (not that hard really, although I do want that next dwarven caravan to ship in some platinum and iron sometime soon) until I find something better to do. My next best plan is to swarm them with my ridiculously undertrained dwarves, and just hope like all hell that numbers will win the battle for me.

As you can tell, these aren't the best plans, so if anyone has something better, please help out :)

* Before anyone asks, no magma :(
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

UberFuber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Double Sided Siege
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 09:36:33 am »

Code: [Select]
9 different forgotten beasts roaming the caverns.You... sort of already have your own answer right there.

Connect the cavern to the surface through an airlock, let the forgotten beast out. Forgotten beast will fight goblins.

The goblins might win, the forgotten beast might win, either way, you've just reduced your troubles somewhat.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 09:40:08 am »

9 different forgotten beasts roaming the caverns.You... sort of already have your own answer right there.

Connect the cavern to the surface through an airlock, let the forgotten beast out. Forgotten beast will fight goblins.

The goblins might win, the forgotten beast might win, either way, you've just reduced your troubles somewhat.

..... You sir, are a genius! Why the hell did I not think of that earlier! Let the games begin!!!
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 09:49:54 am »

swarming with under-equipped, under-trained dwarves will work MUCH BETTER against forgotten beasts than it will against a goblin siege.  If you try to swarm the siege you probably still won't even really outnumber them.  Swarming an ambush, or a single squad works, but giving the goblins lots of easy targets doesn't bother them so much because there's lots of goblins.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 09:54:48 am »

I've built tons of little 1x1 pill boxes on the surface of my map. In the event of a siege a squad of marksdwarves can run to the nearest one, underground, pop up to the surface, surrounded by fortifications and unload on any nearby squads. As long as there is no elite bowman, the squad is totally safe, they can train and slaughter the squads until the siege breaks. I channel around the fortifications after building them.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 09:55:56 am »

swarming with under-equipped, under-trained dwarves will work MUCH BETTER against forgotten beasts than it will against a goblin siege.  If you try to swarm the siege you probably still won't even really outnumber them.  Swarming an ambush, or a single squad works, but giving the goblins lots of easy targets doesn't bother them so much because there's lots of goblins.

Here's hoping that the forgotten beasts win out against the goblins then :D

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 12:06:04 pm »

No quarter. No remorse. No regret.

No survivors.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 02:03:55 pm »

Here's hoping that the forgotten beasts win out against the goblins then :D

If not, wait a few seasons.  There will be more things to fight them.

I've never had 9 FBs around simultaneously, but I did see an entertaining fight between a goblin siege, the dwarven caravan + guards, and a titan one time.

I've also had a skillful and lucky hunter show up as a migrant, immediately be drafted into his own marksdwarf squad, and shoot down a forgotten beast that had reached the surface (though not before it slew his wife right in front of him).
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 02:12:01 pm »

No quarter. No remorse. No regret.

No survivors.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Combine the two.
Step 1: Release Forgotten Beasts to see the light of day goblins!
Step 2: Wait for them to engage
Step 3: Bring in 50 marksdwarves
Step 4: Collect (xTroll Fur Sockx)
Step 5: Make +Forgotten Beast Soap+
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 02:13:49 pm by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 08:30:57 pm »

So, before I put this into action, what is the best way to go about linking the two together? If I have a dwarf poke his head out on the surface to make the stairway for the forgotten beasts to get up there, the poor bugger assigned to the job will probably become a dwarven pincushion. Similar for entering the caverns too

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 02:47:45 am »

So, before I put this into action, what is the best way to go about linking the two together? If I have a dwarf poke his head out on the surface to make the stairway for the forgotten beasts to get up there, the poor bugger assigned to the job will probably become a dwarven pincushion. Similar for entering the caverns too
dig almost all the way there.
They will need a moment to realize it's open and chase you.

Build a few traps, and some gates on levers.
Maybe a bridge.
Get everything ready, dig the last square, and sound the retreat. Get him past the floodgates and close them. Done.
Do the same to the surface.
seal up the entire passage then open both gates and let the goblins and forgotten beasts find each other.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 04:19:38 am »

I don't think you will have a lot of trouble, just make sure to seal the entry with a drawbridge since they can destroy doors.

If you're anxious about your legendary-cheese-maker-migrant-with-a-pick, a door is a good idea too, destroying it will take enough time for the drawbridge delay.

If you have a noble with annoying demands, this might be the time for him to valorously lead his people to glory, no? "In the blue trunks, Baron McUseless with a pickaxe, as brave as they come and a legendary consoler! And in the red trunks, 9 forgotton beasts, beware their poisonous spittle!"

Till

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 05:37:19 am »

Why?
I mean - its magma! Its fun!

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 08:26:37 pm »

I don't think you will have a lot of trouble, just make sure to seal the entry with a drawbridge since they can destroy doors.

If you're anxious about your legendary-cheese-maker-migrant-with-a-pick, a door is a good idea too, destroying it will take enough time for the drawbridge delay.

If you have a noble with annoying demands, this might be the time for him to valorously lead his people to glory, no? "In the blue trunks, Baron McUseless with a pickaxe, as brave as they come and a legendary consoler! And in the red trunks, 9 forgotton beasts, beware their poisonous spittle!"

Maybe I can put that chained vampire to good use :D He's almost finished his sentence for 5 murders... Might be time we let him out :p

Why?
I mean - its magma! Its fun!
Why? Because I currently don't have the transportation infrastructure, and I don't plan on making it just yet. I've only just found and started mining candy

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 05:48:27 pm »

did it work? do FBs path towards goblins?
Pages: [1] 2