Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: market discipline  (Read 1169 times)

teloft

• Bay Watcher
  • We found the zirilid stream
    • View Profile
market discipline
« on: June 04, 2013, 08:10:23 am »

Here is one for a grand discipline.  lest have a New official version that everyone can play. So it is in just before the x-mass and just before the summer holidays. A new game two times a year. 

So if Toady One dose not post a new DF, then I like there to be an official dome put one one of the mods as a mod of the season or something like that.

Basically. New things to play every 6 months, sometime late in month 6 and 12 !!
We found the zirilid stream

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
Re: market discipline
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 01:21:10 pm »

So you claim that you have played every mod there is? There is always something to do. You will find always new mods to DF or just try something unusual in vanilla.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 01:13:46 am »

also the mods update....
or make you own abomanation mod mix of small mods

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 02:45:48 am »

Or, you start a mega project. Such as, embarking in a terrifying ocean and turning the sea into obsidian, while simultaneously holding off the undead and ambushes with the rule that you can NOT wall yourself in or otherwise cut yourself off from the outside world and use of candy is not allowed. Then, once your fort has successfully thrived and you've cast the sea into beautiful obsidian, you dig out every bit of stone and punch through the earth down to the magma sea.

Also, shame on you. Your title was deceptive and made me think you were gonna suggest an approach to economics. Instead I come in here and read something else. For shame.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Dwarf Kitty

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeking owner to adopt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 05:49:19 am »

Yeah, you could spend hundreds of hours just trying out everything that Meph had coded and intergrated into Masterwork DF.  A couple hundred new workshops, many reactions added to vanilla DF workshops, new animals to discover or fight, almost 20 races to defend against . . .

And most of it's optional!  Pick what you want to try and gen a world!

DF is a choose-your-own-game sort of game.  Some love all that freedom; others prefer much more structure.  Most probably fall somewhere in between.

I do understand the underlying frustration.  Bay12 will never be a tight-ship game studio.  It's just one obsessive artist programmer and his brother working on the core game.  Modders, of course, have their own timetables.  You'll never see regular minor updates to get excited over, and no scenario and expansion packs for a good long time.

Just keep checking back for updates whenever you feel like jumping back into the mines again.  And read the forums and the wiki for ideas on things to do in the wide and varied world of DF.
Menaces with swipes of claw.
Meows with rumbles of purr.

A cute fluffy little creature fond of idle games, DF, and writing.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 01:31:44 pm »

I'm okay with the current development schedule: It takes a LOOOOOONG time to build a fort to your liking and tinker with everything, and since every version requires a new world, I'd be tempted to restart on a fresh world. So I think Toady got it right.
Bugfixes on the other hand....

@OP: If you think you mastered the vanilla version, and there's nothing new you can master (ha-ha) then I recommend you try a mod. Masterwork is a good candidate.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 04:35:00 am »

So you claim that you have played every mod there is? There is always something to do. You will find always new mods to DF or just try something unusual in vanilla.

Mm, yes. Heck, I haven't played every mod there is. In fact, I haven't even played all of my own mods!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 07:45:08 pm »

Here is one for a grand discipline.  lest have a New official version that everyone can play. So it is in just before the x-mass and just before the summer holidays. A new game two times a year. 

So if Toady One dose not post a new DF, then I like there to be an official dome put one one of the mods as a mod of the season or something like that.

Basically. New things to play every 6 months, sometime late in month 6 and 12 !!
Yes, getting videogames out by Christmas is always such a good idea...
Aside from the obvious parallels with major flops (the worst Sonic and Spyro games and two of the worst games ever, for instance), Toady's development schedule doesn't work like that. 0.34.11 was released about a year ago, just in time for the summer holidays I guess. If he had to get the next release out by Christmas, where would that put him?
"Death comes before birth, if you were wondering. There are potentially several thousands of historical critters to check in the wider world, so it sets up a schedule at the beginning of the year and then checks specific people on a daily basis for the "old age" death you might have seen happen in your forts. Later on we'd like to have diseases and so on, but for now it's basically a reaperish visitation that happens to people that aren't currently loaded. I'm getting the first taste of handling all the extra information that is present post-world gen, and I had to rewrite various code for how the historical figures are stored on sites and in armies, but they seem to be dying properly now."
In short, he wouldn't have half the features he wanted to put in, nor would they be at half the intended quality.

There's a reason DF is barely over 1/3 complete despite a dev time of over a decade to date: DF is awesome but requires making a LOT of code, then making sure it works. (For now, add "well enough" to the end, but wait until 0.90 or so...) It obeys schedules as well as a tantruming toddler at best...and that's ignoring the various impediments that come up with a self-employed, one-man dev team, as well as Toady's tendency to go off-schedule. Toady knows this, which is part of why he doesn't make promises on releases.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.