Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Perpetual motion noble?  (Read 995 times)

kuniqs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Perpetual motion noble?
« on: June 04, 2013, 01:53:27 am »

My current duke/mayor/chief doctor/broker/manager/bookkeeper for life is mandating bracelets, but for some reason they are made 'automagically'. Mandates end succesfully even when I don't touch craftsdwarf workshop. Actually, one time deadline wasn't met and prison had use.
I stopped respecting mandates at one point to see some dwarfs hammered, and I failed even at that.
I haven't breached caverns yet so maybe there are animal men making crafts down there?

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Perpetual motion noble?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 03:06:47 am »

you sure you dont have a workshop on repeat crafts somewhere?  I tend to do that if my stone stockpiles get a tad too large makeing those mandates rather nice.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 03:27:45 am »

you sure you dont have a workshop on repeat crafts somewhere?  I tend to do that if my stone stockpiles get a tad too large makeing those mandates rather nice.
Why would you waste a non-renewable like that?! Crafts should only be made out of the bits of animals that weren't mad into bolts! BRLARGH!?
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

kuniqs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 03:58:45 am »

Nope. I took measures to ensure that somebody will get mauled by police.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 04:45:15 am »

Why would you waste a non-renewable like that?! Crafts should only be made out of the bits of animals that weren't mad into bolts! BRLARGH!?

Stone is renewable given magma and water, which are both infinite resources.

Also, stone is pretty plentiful. Even a single embark tile is 48x48. Let's assume that we have 50 z-levels of stone layers, then that gives us more than 100 thousand stone tiles, or 25 thousand mined rocks. Most embarks are at least 3x3 so give around 250 thousand mined rocks.I would guess that a craftsdwarf on repeat uses probably something like 100 rocks a year, so if he is working non-stop for 100 years you've just "wasted" not even 5% of your rock supply... I guess you are also against sending oxygen up to the ISS because we are wasting the finite supply of oxygen atoms on our planet? :-P

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 05:07:43 am »

also atomic nuclear fusion is totally a thing, and while incredibly energy intensive, you COULD totally fuse new oxygen atoms.

But yeah. While in certain forts I'm a LOT more paranoid about my usage of stone in things it doesn't need to be used in (for example, my triple-tower terrifying aquifer-filled fun festival), I will admit that not only is obsidian farming a thing, but stones are in overabundance for any embark that isn't running a fort for more than 200 years. And at that point, unless you had previously expunged all nondwarven populations, given them NOEAT NODRINK NOEMOTION, turned off migrants, barricaded the walls to stop traders, and never touched a tile of soil, you would have died of FPS death by then anyways.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

kuniqs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 03:57:54 pm »

Update: from what I saw, magical mandates might be a result of caravans bringing required stuff on the map.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 09:44:29 pm »

I like to think you had a very rare noble that'd do things for himself.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 11:47:01 pm »

I don't think animal men make items on site yet (please check this one). You might want to put that into the suggestions, it sounds good.

You can make crafts out of wood, which is renewable over a short period of time. You can also make them out of clay and glass, the resources for the production of which are infinite given magma.

You may have a workshop on repeat, or you may have standing orders for the production of crafts, or alternatively another dwarf is decorating bracelets.

I think decorating a bracelet counts as producing a bracelet, though I'm not entirely sure. Someone should check that out.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 11:49:30 pm »

I don't think animal men make items on site yet (please check this one). You might want to put that into the suggestions, it sounds good.

I said nothing about animal men making things...
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 02:08:31 am »

I guess you are also against sending oxygen up to the ISS because we are wasting the finite supply of oxygen atoms on our planet? :-P
Fuck
Who took all my oxygen