Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs and Their Attachments...  (Read 352 times)

AlwayzL3git

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoot 'em up.
    • View Profile
Dwarfs and Their Attachments...
« on: June 03, 2013, 11:26:40 pm »

Well, I made 10 Highly Trained dwarves. I have full iron armor, wood shields and steel axes. It seems like they aren't putting on all of their armor and even one is using a bronze battle axe due to being attached. He even gave it a name! Can I make him get over it and use the better axe/armor?

Thanks in Advance--
AlwayzL3git
The only difference between a human student and a dwarf is that dwarfs have the ability to create and destroy matter.
So will the dwarf with the broken spine recover and use a crutch?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs and Their Attachments...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 11:50:04 pm »

Yes.  In the military equipment screen, you can assign them specific pieces of equipment.  The command will override their attachment :).

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 09:49:00 am »

The new release came with a lot of strange bugs pertaining to equipping armor.  I have this problem a lot, and I've noticed others have it too, where dwarves just refuse to wear certain armor (mostly helms).

The best way to avoid this issue is to not assign uniforms at all and just individually equip each dwarf.  Other things to try are assigning specific armor, as was said above, or toggle armor preferences from "over clothing" to "replace clothing."  All of these things can be done in the 'equip' tab on the military interface ('m' then 'e').

I've noticed that, if you initially assign a uniform, when you first make your squad, that these issues persist.  So, the best thing that you can do, when you first make your squad, is to select "no uniform."  For your existing squads, there are certain items they will never wear, no matter how much you play with the equipment screen.  This is because uniforms are currently very buggy.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 10:18:29 am »

Uniforms work fine as long as you remember to set replace clothing (caps, robes, shoes all cause problems otherwise).  You need to remember that if you assign a uniform to the squad, guys added to that squad will get that uniform.  Once a uniform is assigned, you can make dwarf-specific edits without messing anything up really.  This way you can have mixed-weapon squads using the same uniform as a base.  If you edit the uniform itself later, those edits won't be reflected in squads already assigned the uniform.  Dwarves are pretty good at putting on stuff in the right order these days (i remember the update where Toady tested the new code for equipping by using an octopus dwarf).  Most problems I find (at least with melee dwarves) tend to be user error, like assigning bronze boots but then making a bunch of steel boots and not going back to change material assignments.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku