Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gold Sword Artifact  (Read 1430 times)

AlwayzL3git

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoot 'em up.
    • View Profile
Gold Sword Artifact
« on: June 03, 2013, 05:12:44 pm »

So I had a dwarf get possessed. He decided to make a Gold Shortsword with Nickel and wooden rings. Is it a good weapon to use? The wiki doesn't talk about gold weapons and their values. I REALLY want to assign this sick ass sword to my militia commander, with it's 3x combat value and all, but I don't want him running out there with a sharp toothpick.
The only difference between a human student and a dwarf is that dwarfs have the ability to create and destroy matter.
So will the dwarf with the broken spine recover and use a crutch?

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gold Sword Artifact
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 05:51:58 pm »

if it was a hammer you'd probably be just fine however I'm prety sure gold has lousy stats for holding an edge which is important for swords.  you my friend probably have a very expensive butter knife.

Nobu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 06:11:55 pm »

It'd make a nice decoration in a weapons trap, though.  Instantly raise the value of a room like crazy!  With a nice artifact like that, you can get away with layering a noble's rooms all in one spot sometimes.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 06:12:59 pm »

Oh, that sucks.  You got a heavy, soft blade and you didn't even get a legendary weaponsmith out of the deal.  Better luck next time.

But yes, you could massively improve the value of the room by shoving it into a weapon trap.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 07:44:30 pm »

you my friend probably have a very expensive butter knife.
Or a really sharp hammer.

If your militia commander is big and strong (and arrived at the fortress as an adult), give them the sword and see how they do in a series of single combats with fully-armed prisoners. If your militia captain consistently bashes their brains in or slashes at their unarmoured parts, great.

It's never going to be as good as even a bronze or iron sword, but if its wielder is unkillable anyway and supported by troops with proper weapons, go for it.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 09:38:56 pm »

Man. A golden sword. If it wasn't for the fact that DF models metal properties accurately and doesn't use Generic Fantasy Metal Tier (tm) stats, you would have the best fucking weapon ever. Seriously.

Forget about using it in combat since, yes, pure Gold is terrible at holding a sharp edge, is really fucking heavy, and is incredibly soft. It is, however, a great plot point for RP, in fort or adv mode.

Man, all I ever get is god damn weaver artifacts. Or the one time I got a migrant woodcrafter, and wouldn't you know it, he mooded. Great, now I have a useless trinket, a loss of logs, AND a legend in a useless fucking skill. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

AlwayzL3git

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoot 'em up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 09:44:54 pm »

One time I had a weaponsmith make a artifact Steel 2H with spikes made out of silver and rings made out of gold. 'Twas a rich fort indeed. It had a value of like 300,000 or something.
The only difference between a human student and a dwarf is that dwarfs have the ability to create and destroy matter.

kilozombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 01:24:46 am »

You must think you're so unlucky to get a legendary woodcrafter- I have four fucking legendary bonecarvers!

At first it was cool because I could make lots of bolts... but I simply don't have enough bones or purpose for that much stuff.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 05:31:03 am »

The sad thing is, four legendary bonecarvers would be EPIC.... if it weren't for the recently discovered bug which stunts growth. I think pigs are big enough to leave bone stacks, though, so you can start up a pig breeding farm and then get like, 100 females to breed, and then just butcher all the babies, letting the parents cycle out every 6 or 8 or so. Mondo bones. Plus you can use the Pig Bomb to deal with invaders.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 09:30:48 am »

You must think you're so unlucky to get a legendary woodcrafter- I have four fucking legendary bonecarvers!

At first it was cool because I could make lots of bolts... but I simply don't have enough bones or purpose for that much stuff.

bonecarvers are about 5x more useful than woodcrafters.  The best uses for wood are in carpentry, windmills/axles, and in converting to charcoal/ash.  Wood crafts are low-value and wood bolts are ineffective.  Bones on the other hand are most useful for crafts and actually decent bolts.  The armor is kind of cool too (I have a bone-armor archer squad for kicks).  Plus don't forget crafts and decorations (are bone decorations still bugged?).
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

kilozombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 02:36:05 pm »

I suppose I could put all four of them on Legendary Decorating Duty... just wish I had gotten a metalsmith instead!

AlwayzL3git

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoot 'em up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 04:14:29 pm »

I just had somebody make an ear ring that has a picture of the gold sword on it. Pretty cool I guess.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 03:23:11 am »

Just train up every chump a little in armor and weapon smithing. It only takes 1 piece so it's easy enough. That way your people without moodable skills won't mood into a craft dwarf skill, unless they're engravers like all of mine tend to be.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 03:04:37 pm »

I suppose I could put all four of them on Legendary Decorating Duty... just wish I had gotten a metalsmith instead!

As others said, you can nudge dwarfs with no moodable skills in the right direction by letting each make one item applying a desirable skill (smithing skills mainly, but masonry and carpentry are also options). Even at this ridiculously low experience rating, the used skill will qualify as the dwarf's 'highest moodable'.

Bone carvers are somewhat useful if you're keeping and slaughtering lots of animals. The bones are a by-product and afaik _all_ their uses go through the bone carver. Bone carver products aren't too valuable (unless you manage to establish a giant dingo farm...), but it's still more efficient than atomsmashing the bones, which is the only real alternative.

And among the three standard 'crafter' moods, bonecarving is the one i dislike the least - other than with wood- and stonecrafting, a bonecarving mood at least has a _chance_ of producing something else than a completely useless untradeable craft object. Bone Thrones are a distinct possibility...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 03:13:20 pm by Larix »

Aquathug

• Bay Watcher
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 05:45:22 pm »

Bone Thrones are a distinct possibility...

Funny you should mention that. Not ten minutes ago one of the little urchins sucking down my damn liquor made himself useful and popped out a bone throne.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2