Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A simple question about magma and cart  (Read 5331 times)

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
A simple question about magma and cart
« on: June 03, 2013, 01:03:07 pm »

I came to the conclusion that taking magma from the bottom to the top absolutely require nether cap logs to be able to build the vertical and horizontal axle required to power the roller submerged in magma.

Am I right or is there another way load cart with magma without being obligated to breach the third cavern?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: A simple question about magma and cart
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 01:07:46 pm »

Mechanisms can be made of stone or weapon material, and transfer power to adjacent machines.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 01:36:42 pm »

The best way to power the roller is to use an adjacent screwpump. This will also seal in the magma and keep it topped up.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 05:02:37 pm »

I favor the magma safe screw pump to seal the hole in case I need to get onto that side of the area.  However 1 magma safe gear next to the roller with any type of gearbox siting on the zlvl above it(with hole in the floor) will acomplish the same thing in a pinch.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 05:11:57 pm »

I favor the magma safe screw pump to seal the hole in case I need to get onto that side of the area.  However 1 magma safe gear next to the roller with any type of gearbox siting on the zlvl above it(with hole in the floor) will acomplish the same thing in a pinch.

True, but the pump-blocking-the-hole technique leaves it a totally sealed unit, while the channel-and-gear technique leaves a hole that enemies can exploit if they should happen to invade the lowest levels of your fort.

Granted, if you've got uglies running berserk in the lower levels of your fort, you have lots of other things to worry about aside from your magma pump-stack. Still, I like to use sealed units whenever it's technically feasible.
Never pet a burning dog.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 05:31:09 pm »

Why use rollers? Have a two or three-tile long trench filled with magma and a set of rails dropping a few Z-levels into the trench.
Code: [Select]
+++++
=r.r=
+++++
The cart shoots into the magma using its kinetic energy and scoops out a cart-load of magma.  Have it stop a little ways away once it's free and have a dwarf manually push it to its final destination. Simple as that.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 06:19:50 pm »

Why use rollers? Have a two or three-tile long trench filled with magma and a set of rails dropping a few Z-levels into the trench.
Code: [Select]
+++++
=r.r=
+++++
The cart shoots into the magma using its kinetic energy and scoops out a cart-load of magma.  Have it stop a little ways away once it's free and have a dwarf manually push it to its final destination. Simple as that.

Have you tested this?

I am told that a cart moving fast enough to overcome the viscosity of the magma and climb the exit ramp is also moving too fast to auto-load magma.

Actual testing is required.
Never pet a burning dog.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 07:20:14 pm »

I wonder if it would be possible to rock the cart back and forth in the magma until it does get enough speed to escape?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 07:53:47 pm »

Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 07:59:37 pm »

There's always derailment accelerators as an alternative to rollers.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 08:23:53 pm »

Actual testing is required.

Actual testing

I assume that you're referring to page 11 of that thread, since the rest of the thread pre-dates mine-carts.

The poster specifically states that the design requires powered rollers. He mentions using an impulse ramp system, but only as speculation.

Where is the "actual testing"?
Never pet a burning dog.

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 09:44:05 pm »

For all my magma minecart testing, I decided to get myself a nice surface volcano embark.

I found an INCREDIBLE spot in term of 3D geological layout. Unfortunately it's on an island with an aquifer... I would like to know if it's possible to remove the aquifer tag and add goblin, dwarves and tower as potential invaders on an already embarked game.

If yes, would someone give me a hand on this? I roll on a mac so no dwarf hack for me... Me sad

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 10:04:35 pm »

For all my magma minecart testing, I decided to get myself a nice surface volcano embark.

I found an INCREDIBLE spot in term of 3D geological layout. Unfortunately it's on an island with an aquifer... I would like to know if it's possible to remove the aquifer tag and add goblin, dwarves and tower as potential invaders on an already embarked game.

If yes, would someone give me a hand on this? I roll on a mac so no dwarf hack for me... Me sad

As far as I know, none of that can be done after embark.

Why would you want to remove the Aquifer? Since I've developed the required techniques, I will ONLY embark in locations with an Aquifer now. Given a volcano at the surface, it should be a snap.
Never pet a burning dog.

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 11:16:42 pm »

Yea I'm a whiny bitch, I can just obsidianise it really easily and dig through it... But beside that, all my attempts at digging through an aquifer failed. I haven't mastered the cave it technique yet.

List of questions :

Anyway... Anybody know why lava melt my granite mechanism? Ain't granite in the df wiki magma safe list of stone?

Can the screw pump giving power to the roller face any direction for the lava to be blocked in it's path?

Can a powered gear at z1 give power to a gear at z0 if they are on the same x-y coordinate and there is a channel dug between the two gear? That would remove the need of a screw pump to transfer power to the rollers.

I don't understand the accelerator explanation on the wiki... Do you simply need to build up track in a straight line in a tunnel? Is it as simple as that?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:24:56 pm by Marble_Nuts »

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 01:39:37 am »

Ain't granite in the df wiki magma safe list of stone?

No.

Can the screw pump giving power to the roller face any direction for the lava to be blocked in it's path?

Screw Pumps can transmit or receive power in any direction (N/S/E/W/Up/Down). Rollers can only do so from the side edges (not the Front/Back/Top/or Bottom).

Can a powered gear at z1 give power to a gear at z0 if they are on the same x-y coordinate and there is a channel dug between the two gear? That would remove the need of a screw pump to transfer power to the rollers.

Yes. The channel is required, of course.

I don't understand the accelerator explanation on the wiki... Do you simply need to build up track in a straight line in a tunnel? Is it as simple as that.

Do you mean Impulse Ramps?

You build them on the level. A long line of ramps, adjacent to walls, with tracks leading straight at the wall and also forward... but with NO track leading back in the same direction that the mine-cart is approaching from.

The idea is to FORCE the mine-cart to derail as it enters each (and every) tile. The game-engine automatically resets the derailed cart at the TOP of the ramp (even though the derailing happened at the BOTTOM of the ramp), and the cart then rolls "downhill" and follows the track out... only to immediately derail again in the very next tile.
Never pet a burning dog.

Pages: [1] 2 3