Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarves wont train?  (Read 760 times)

Goodwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksdwarves wont train?
« on: June 03, 2013, 10:56:41 am »

So I have a squad of 8 marksdwarves all of skill level expert or above, and I have them set to inactive and given them 12 archery ranges for their squad (thats just how the room worked out, looked better than empty space). I have disabled all labors, but they just sit around doing nothing. They have training ammo.

This was recently after I remodeled the archery range. it used to be one big room with each target being designated over the whole room, but only 3-4 of them would train at a time, the rest having no job. I changed it to a 12 lane system, but now the wont train at all.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarves wont train?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 11:05:09 am »

Yeah, marksdwarves pretty bugged right now. Do they have quivers? crossbows? Are they active duty?
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Goodwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 11:11:45 am »

no active duty, they dont train archery on active duty

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 11:23:16 am »

Marksdwarf training is such a pain.  I've gotten it to work, but it's more hassle than it's worth.  I almost gave up on marksdwarves completely, but these days they do well on constant patrol behind fortifications so they can snag real combat xp (4x training xp).

Goodwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 11:31:43 am »

wait they will just shoot anything when on patrol?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 11:56:52 am »

Any nearby enemy, yes.  Even better, if you set up a route that takes them out of sight momentarily, they will reload.

Psieye's Marksdwarf Auto-Reloading Guide

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 12:32:37 pm »

Any nearby enemy, yes.  Even better, if you set up a route that takes them out of sight momentarily, they will reload.

Psieye's Marksdwarf Auto-Reloading Guide

Tried that.  Won't work on those marksdwarves that won't even reload during peacetime.  :P

Maybe I should just teleport ammo into their quiver using DFHack...
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 01:06:32 pm »

I find that having ALL ammo stockpiles not use bins to be helpful in getting them to grab ammos (both for training and combat).
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 01:49:17 pm »

So I have a squad of 8 marksdwarves all of skill level expert or above, and I have them set to inactive and given them 12 archery ranges for their squad (thats just how the room worked out, looked better than empty space). I have disabled all labors, but they just sit around doing nothing. They have training ammo.

Check that:
1.  under military ammo screen, reduce or eliminate the amount of ammo allocated to the Hunters.  They get first dibs on reserving ammo, and if you are low on ammo they may be hogging what little you have and the squads may get none.
2.  your Stocks ammo count is not being padded out by enormous amounts of forbidden ammo lying about the map and in trenches behind the targets.
3.  They have physical access to the ammo stockpile.  A quick way is to remove the ammo stockpile and designate a new stockpile right next to it; your dwarves should descend on it en masse.
4.  Correct squads marked for training on the targets?

If these fail, try the big hammer, and disband the squad and recreate a new one.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 08:32:09 pm »

Something that worked for me was expanding the archery range to include a barracks.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 08:59:10 pm »

My crossbow squads seem to have no issue training.  I ensure the following when forming up squads:
1. Sufficient crossbows and quivers on hand to equip them.
2. Ammo available - Hunters get none, other squads have enough (or using metal bolts while the new squads get wooden ones)
3. Archery ranges are separate from each other and defined one at a time and firing in the correct direction
4. Squad is assigned to the separate ranges.
5. Squad is assigned to a barracks for other training activities (demonstrations, etc.)

I usually give the squad a mixed training/non-training schedule and activate it, but it should work for an inactive squad at this point in any case.

And I am also making new wooden bolts all the time since the training marksdwarves will burn through it pretty quickly.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart