Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help with a resilient FB?  (Read 1693 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a resilient FB?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 11:34:07 am »

If you can move it around safely then I recommend you can seal it up behind some floodgates and fortifications and have a poison vapor trap that can be turned on and off with a lever. Could be fun.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 04:36:06 pm »

Caveins should squash trees.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 04:38:57 pm »

Digging out walls that border the caverns, might be tricky, though.  Hopefully you can find a column that doesn't contain any of those..
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 06:45:05 pm »

Shouldn't be necessary to go near the cavern/rock border. What you're doing here is building a cavein trap in solid inter-cavern rock, and then turning the natural walls between the FB and the bottom of the trap into floors so the collapsed floor can fall through. There should not be a path between the trap and the cavern, until the collapse happens.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 11:59:18 pm »

Shouldn't be necessary to go near the cavern/rock border. What you're doing here is building a cavein trap in solid inter-cavern rock, and then turning the natural walls between the FB and the bottom of the trap into floors so the collapsed floor can fall through. There should not be a path between the trap and the cavern, until the collapse happens.

Turning the natural walls into floors is the part I'm talking about - depending on the cavern layout, some of those natural walls directly below the trap might be cavern walls.  Odds are it's avoidable, but it's something to watch out for.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 09:00:38 am »

There's already a floor for the cavein to go through, so that's the most dangerous part done. Depending on the curve of the cavern, there might be one tile that nicks the side of the cavern instead of going straight through the ceiling. But since it won't be at ground level, nothing will intentionally path to it. It would be wise to have a door where the dwarf stands to dig and a suspended construction behind it, just in case something flying is within LOS when the border wall is dug. The dwarf will run behind the door, which can be locked to buy enough time for the wall to be completed.

This would also work if you did need to dig a border wall at ground level, but more doors might be necessary if there are multiple FBs whacking at them. If there's more than one door for an FB to attack, they'll wear all the doors down instead of focusing on one.
Pages: 1 [2]