Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: spontaneous loyalty cascade  (Read 1105 times)

obradenj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
spontaneous loyalty cascade
« on: June 03, 2013, 12:22:39 am »

had migrants appear while playing masterwork however the few moments after the group approached the meeting area one went berserk. My animals took quick care of them however everyone seemed to think fighting them was a good idea then dwarfs went mad killing each other and even random livestock who had nothing to do with the murders. has anyone else had this problem i know witch dwarf it is and can isolate the individual perhaps if i do that this wont be a problem

obradenj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: spontaneous loyalty cascade
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 12:35:42 am »

quick answer no long answer it seems to be a few individuals within the migrant wave that set off anger in everyone else

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 03:13:51 am »

I think dfhack has a tool to stop loyalty cascades

edit:
could an old adventurer have migrated to your fort?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 03:54:29 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 07:33:18 am »

You should post this into the Masterwork forum. I think it has something to do with the 'extra fun' (cultists, spies, etc.) Meph put into the masterwork mod, but spontaneous loyalty cascade shouldn't happen like this.
Check the game logs to find out how this happened, who attacked first, etc, it's very hard to answer your questions without proper information.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 07:46:01 am »

it's always helpful if people mention if they're using a mod when posting a question, including graphic mods (tilesets)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 08:28:12 am »

it's always helpful if people mention if they're using a mod when posting a question,
indeed, which the OP did.

including graphic mods (tilesets)
I personally never bother.  Is there an example where this would really be relevant (i'm sure there is, just can't think of one).
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 12:37:22 pm »

including graphic mods (tilesets)
I personally never bother.  Is there an example where this would really be relevant (i'm sure there is, just can't think of one).
Many graphics packs include raw edits as well, changing creature tiles and stuff. Sometimes there are cockups making those edits. It's good to know, just to be on the safe side.

obradenj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 04:49:24 pm »

oddly enough i do seem to have a problem finding the combat logs they just don't seem to be there. that or i have no idea where to look for them once again (giving it a 10/90) and those cultists do seem to be a good answer however would this cause all my dwarfs to fear that one drake that got named tortured thunder even if they are not cultists and in fact my original 7. and the instigators seem to try and still do jobs or attempt to before being interrupted by the original party although its quite amusing to see a dwarf try to pasture something its terrified of.

and side notes

the tileset is phobious
went straight into fort mode no adventures

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 06:41:08 pm »

Are you certain this was a loyalty cascade, and not a tantrum spiral?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

obradenj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 08:39:21 pm »

the migrants who just showed up seem to be starting it my original dwarfs while unhappy are the ones canceling job orders and fleeing and the migrants are the ones throwing punches and in one case shooting crossbow bolts.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 08:48:46 pm »

If it's a loyalty cascade, every dwarf in your fortress should be reacting to every other dwarf (as every one of them is both a member and enemy of the same civilization, therefore they are essentially at war with themselves).  Is that happening?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

obradenj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 04:44:00 pm »

no your right after letting the dust settle and 3 migrants dead things seem sorta back to normal however everyone is still terrified of my livestock that participated in the fights. i suppose i jumped the gun on that proclaiming it a loyalty cascade