Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What did you wish you knew when you started playing?  (Read 4003 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: What did you wish you knew when you started playing?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 11:30:31 am »

I started attempting this last night, talked with my friend about it (who wants to enjoy DF but can't wrap her head around the miles of menu scrolling) and determined I didn't go basic enough.  I'll be restarting with a MORE basic attempt, going as simple as explaining what buttons to press to start digging, how to figure out labors, and making sure the dwarf is working.

Ideally, I want this to range from "My friend told me to download this..." to "I AM THE DWARF KING OF HELL ITSELF!" in one long tutorial, with the reader able to simply stop reading when they're comfortable, try their own fort, and when they feel like getting more advanced, they read some more of the advanced parts and tackle bigger challenges.

Incidentally, this also means it'll be a MASSIVE information overload, primarily front-loaded.  Especially getting into military orders and advanced stockpiling workshops, there's a LOT of information that has to be laid out first before you can even start pressing buttons.

I've also decided that for the beginning, I'll be starting with invaders and artifacts off, for simplicity, and encouraging new players to do the same, starting maybe year 5 I'll turn them on.

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 12:45:06 pm »

Can you use either iron hand or phoebus? This will make it easier for newb to understand but... This might turn new player away from ASCII forever since they will never get used to it. I do recommend tilesets anyway :)

As for my request, sincerely, anything military related. How to properly equip, how many soldier dwarf per 20 civilian, how to make civilian wear leather shoes, armor, cloak and crossbow at all time even when inactive, how to make a good setup for either ranged or hand weapon live target training, how to handle prisoner in a safe way.

Also, alert, uniforms, training so even squads of 10 dwarves will spar in group of 2 and the use of barracks.

anzelm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 01:01:10 pm »

The awesomeness of cheese and potash.

Must taste weird.

Some general advice about allocating dwarf labour would be nice, especially after huge migrant waves:
- assigning migrants to labours as they arrive
- giving useless dwarves 'cadet/recruit/etc...' custom proffesion name (also when they arrive, or when you fin them loitering in the meeting hall), so you can easily assign them to military training later.

It is also useful to be aware of how controlled cave-ins speed up certain digging projects (removing hillocks in hostile areas for example).
And they raise their wooden pints
And they yoik and sing
And they fight and dance till the morning!

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 05:01:47 pm »

I'd like to know more about minecarts and what to do with them.

Also, magma pistons.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 05:28:07 pm »

I wish I'd known earlier that linking seed-producing workshops to a links-only stockpile that doesn't take seeds will stop dwarves from trying to haul the seeds at all. The individual seeds will remain in the workshop, individually available to each farmer. They will also remain stacked on the dining room tables, which is moderately annoying but far less so than seed spam.

The awesomeness of cheese and potash.
Not sure if sarcasm...

Anyway, embark screen -> milk -> embark -> cheese -> kitchen -> trade depot -> profit! (It's even better if you mod purring maggots to appear in the first cavern layer, making high-value dwarven cheese available.) Potash also allows an unskilled farmer to produce crops like a Legendary with an unfertilised field.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 05:55:41 pm »

I wish I'd known earlier that linking seed-producing workshops to a links-only stockpile that doesn't take seeds will stop dwarves from trying to haul the seeds at all. The individual seeds will remain in the workshop, individually available to each farmer. They will also remain stacked on the dining room tables, which is moderately annoying but far less so than seed spam.
Wait, how does this work?

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 06:10:09 pm »

You can link workshops and stockpiles together so that one will only take from the other. If you then set the stockpile so that it can't accept that item, then the item doesn't get stockpiled at all.
Never pet a burning dog.

Fnear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 07:07:50 pm »

Water pressure, and particularly the fact that going through a diagonal gap will neutralize it.

Refuse stockpiles don't need to be above-ground; just make sure they can't be accessed except by diagonal.

Yes, the power of diagonals is strong.  In particular, on the water pressure - please demo that it actually neutralizes it instead of reducing it by 1 z-level per diagonal.  If I'd actually understood that it would've saved me a lot of time (and space).

Other useful things I put in my forts now that I know more:
- Mist generator!  (Whenever possible, I build my fort between two aquifers and drain one into the other through the middle of a high-traffic intersection)
- Growing indoor plants underground by exposing tiles to outside then covering
- Breeding egg layers by having a lockable door to allow some eggs to hatch
- A plush jail area with food/water stockpile squares fed from the primary stockpiles for the inevitable failure-to-satisfy-noble-demand or sold-something-forbidden scenarios
- Safe cavern exploration by digging a network of tunnels with smooth, fortification, then block-with-a-wall (well, safe after the initial breech)
- Archery training through execution with wooden bolts (line of fortifications in a hall that makes it possible to force a squad to station there (and not in a nearby hall), pit the non-thieves, build cages and lever for thieves, probably two different areas - diagonal access because of inevitable rotting corpses)
- Paved waterways!  Removing that tree that's clogged your mist generator is really annoying.  Paving is the answer.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 07:13:29 pm by Fnear »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 07:15:13 pm »

Paving is the answer.
Up stairs work better for areas you have to dig, so long as you don't mind the flashing.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2013, 07:26:22 pm »

If the goal is to take "has never even read the wiki!" And turn them into "Losing is FUN!", then you will need to start with the simple, and work up. Ideally, you will cover the most basic functions first, and reiterate those things regularly.

Things like loo(k), (v)iew, conten(t)s, (c)reatures, (d)esignations, and all that.

Something kinda like this as an outline.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bear in mind that the above was a stream of conciousness produced screed, and is not by any means comprehensive- just a general idea for an itinerary.

Just add, remove, and shuffle around to make it more complete, and more orderly as needed, then make a script for yourself, and follow through.

Make use of the fact that snatchers, thieves, and siegers/ambushers won't come until after the fist year, and use the first year to cover all the basics of the interface, and deal with basic needs and security methods.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 07:44:26 pm »

If the seeds don't get hauled from the dining room, that just means you have no functional stockpile that accepts seeds, no?

You can very simply set your production up so seeds don't get hauled from the seed-producing shops, but _will_ be collected from the dining room:
have a stockpile that doesn't accept seeds. It doesn't matter at all what kind of stockpile it is, it can be a food stockpile set to only accept milled plants, it can be an unmodified coin stockpile, as long as it doesn't accept seeds, everything's fine. You order this stockpile to 'take' from your seed-producing workshop. The tricky thing with stockpile links to workshops is that it restricts the _workshop_ in its behaviour, not the stockpile. Thus, the workshop will now only deliver its products to the stockpile, and since the target stockpile doesn't accept seeds, all seeds produced will remain in the workshop. Of course, if you have no stockpile links that accept whatever the workshop _also_ produces (booze, milled plant, processed plant), all other products may also remain in the workshop. In the case of mills and farmer's workshops, you might prefer to link them up to stockpiles which accept the non-seed products. In the case of the still, that's not necessary, because thirsty dwarfs pick up and thus remove the barrel from the building when drinking, making it free to move to any appropriate stockpile.

To collect seeds from the dining room, just designate a seed-accepting stockpile that doesn't take from your seed-producing workshops.

I usually don't do those kinds of things, though - i always have a bunch of saved fortresses around and with the less-than-informative stockpile interface it's way too easy to mess up a production chain because you forgot which stockpile was linked to which workshop.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 07:47:47 pm by Larix »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2013, 07:49:22 pm »

I've heard you can use this to abuse the production of certain items from workshops as well, (eg, make only stone miniforges, and NOT toy boats, etc) by restricting output via the stockpile, but I haven't tested that.

Anyone have backup on that?

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2013, 08:10:09 pm »

I've heard you can use this to abuse the production of certain items from workshops as well, (eg, make only stone miniforges, and NOT toy boats, etc) by restricting output via the stockpile, but I haven't tested that.

Anyone have backup on that?

Interesting.  I'll give that a try presently and let you know.  If so, I can see me failing a lot fewer mandates.

And killing a lot fewer nobles that mandate crazy stuff.  Not counting the duke I had with an anvil fetish.  It still heartens me to know that he was buried under a pile of his very favorite things.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2013, 08:16:11 pm »

Nope, doesn't work.  Just piles up all the other stuff at the craft station and only moves the activated item.

Granted, for quantum storage purposes doing it with crafting would allow a lot of storage before clutter became an issue.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 08:20:18 pm by Tacomagic »

Fnear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2013, 09:56:29 pm »

Thus, the workshop will now only deliver its products to the stockpile, and since the target stockpile doesn't accept seeds, all seeds produced will remain in the workshop.

Let's weaponize!  Or at least use this for military purposes...

We know that dropping a large quantity of small items onto a dwarf from above trains dodge very quickly.  Seeds would be ideal for that since I always have ludicrous amounts of them... but they are always bagged.  Solution seems to be right here.  Let them pile up in the workshop (still), then deconstruct the workshop and channel the tile where the seeds are to drop them into a prepared holding cell with a hatch floor.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4