Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Kitten alarms  (Read 2030 times)

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
Kitten alarms
« on: June 02, 2013, 06:17:01 pm »

Interesting idea that I haven't seen before, but I'm fairly new here so excuse me if it's been done before.
When dealing with something dangerous, such as lava or water, I have an idea of putting a small chamber between the main fort and the reservoir, or whatever may be a problem. Put a kitten inside, and then if something goes wrong then you will get an immediate warning.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Kitten alarms
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 06:20:21 pm »

Interesting idea that I haven't seen before, but I'm fairly new here so excuse me if it's been done before.
When dealing with something dangerous, such as lava or water, I have an idea of putting a small chamber between the main fort and the reservoir, or whatever may be a problem. Put a kitten inside, and then if something goes wrong then you will get an immediate warning.
What version are you playing?  Creatures go missing, there's no instant alarm.  Someone has to witness the death, or find the body, or else there's never a true alarm ringing.

kuniqs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 06:24:23 pm »

Reminds me of turkey gobbler ambush detection system.
Game won't get paused when kitten burns so you'll get notified about this with delay.

Squill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 06:28:06 pm »

What version are you playing?  Creatures go missing, there's no instant alarm.  Someone has to witness the death, or find the body, or else there's never a true alarm ringing.
Hmmm. I probably should have thought this through a bit more.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 06:30:30 pm »

As a more instant alarm, would it be possible to capture a single invader and place them in the room, so that when they die the siege will lift?

Squill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 06:33:10 pm »

As a more instant alarm, would it be possible to capture a single invader and place them in the room, so that when they die the siege will lift?
That would work better, but with an unfortunate lack of kitten drowning.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 07:14:01 pm »

a siege is broken when the invading force is to demoralized and begins to retreat. it does not require all of their deaths

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 07:25:18 pm »

a siege is broken when the invading force is to demoralized and begins to retreat. it does not require all of their deaths
What about megabeast sieges?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 07:28:03 pm »

What about megabeast sieges?
They don't siege.  They just show up.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 07:34:13 pm »

Noble with a food and drink delivery system.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 07:36:07 pm »

Noble with a food and drink delivery system.
You still don't get alerts when a single dwarf dies, there has to be a witness.

Better option?  Pressure plate, Support, and Floor Tile.  "A section of the cavern has collapsed!" is pretty obvious.  Just set the fall zone to an unoccupied section of the map so no one gets hurt.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 07:36:56 pm »

Could also build the chamber in question with a window into the main gathering hall.

But using a mechanized system with a roof collapse would prevent the bad thoughts of witnessing a noble get what he deserves die valiantly for the cause.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 07:41:20 pm »

so TWO dwarves with a fortification between them so they can see each other, but one is closer to the danger and one will usually die before the other so the other dwarf sees it happen.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 07:44:26 pm »

Granted at that point, you're tossing 2 dwarves away to do what one industrial machine could do...

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 07:45:51 pm »

The game pauses when an ambush is spotted.  I think that's all outside chained animals are really good for.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku
Pages: [1] 2