Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Any easiest way to retrieve Goblinite minus clothing?  (Read 2889 times)

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any easiest way to retrieve Goblinite minus clothing?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2013, 08:20:31 pm »

I'm a roleplayer. When I make a fortress, I'm not just trying to make the most long-lived, successful, or efficient fortress; I'm building a fortress for the glory of the Dwarves. I'm building Moria, Erebor, Belegost. I find complex systems interfere with the aesthetic I try to create. So I'm not against them, per se, but I don't use them.

Also, elves once brought me grizzly bears, so I have some respect for them.

It is this authors opinion that Moria, Erebor, and Belegost would not function without huge, overly complex mechanisms that not even their designers know the inner workings of. Think moody architects. Minecart rail tracks bringing magma to inscrutable places, the clanking of massive machinery in the distance, the *tink tink!* of hammer on anvil, all these are the hallmarks of a great and vast Dwarven Citadel.

So a mountainhome isn't a mountainhome without a fully automated murder-and-sorting chamber. That is this authors opinion.

War Grizzlies can be captured on your own terms and trained, suffer not the defiling touch of elfen hands on anything in your fortress!
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2013, 10:19:55 pm »

The way you have your fortress designed causes my OCD to twitch.

So....*twitch*...unsymmetrical...*twitch twitch*

JerBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 10:32:03 pm »

The way you have your fortress designed causes my OCD to twitch.

So....*twitch*...unsymmetrical...*twitch twitch*

lol when i started out in DF i do symmetrical designs, then i got bored of it so now i first lay down the main hallways then shape my rooms around them in an organic manner
i hope you will find my grand entrance into the mountainhome (complete with its sniper balcony and forward balcony lookout) very symmetrical.........except for the part near the entrance where it branches out to the left for a 3 tile wide caravan access

BastiBasti

• Bay Watcher
  • ‼SCIENCE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 12:18:01 am »

I'm a roleplayer. When I make a fortress, I'm not just trying to make the most long-lived, successful, or efficient fortress; I'm building a fortress for the glory of the Dwarves. I'm building Moria, Erebor, Belegost. I find complex systems interfere with the aesthetic I try to create. So I'm not against them, per se, but I don't use them.

It is this authors opinion that Moria, Erebor, and Belegost would not function without huge, overly complex mechanisms that not even their designers know the inner workings of. Think moody architects. Minecart rail tracks bringing magma to inscrutable places, the clanking of massive machinery in the distance, the *tink tink!* of hammer on anvil, all these are the hallmarks of a great and vast Dwarven Citadel.

So a mountainhome isn't a mountainhome without a fully automated murder-and-sorting chamber. That is this authors opinion.

War Grizzlies can be captured on your own terms and trained, suffer not the defiling touch of elfen hands on anything in your fortress!
And I swear in most dwarven fortresses in literature there tends to be overly-complicated tech. I personally believe dwarfs love extravagant machines of doom more than anything, I wouldn't have my fort any other way.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 10:58:21 am »

I think the problem here is that while cool, using water to push items is just not very effective.  There's not a real workaround for that.  A good design would be to drop all the items onto a bridge, forbid the crap and melt-designate the stuff you want.  Then once you've sorted a load, dropping whats left to be burned/smashed.  Then reset the system and drop more goblinite onto the bridge.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

JerBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 12:35:29 pm »

i was tired of clothing too.  dragon-fire flame turret did a very good job.

just wondering, do you have a dragon fire turret right now? when the dragon breath on the passing goblins what happens after they catch on fire?
specifically... what items are left after the burning?

JerBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 12:36:26 pm »

And I swear in most dwarven fortresses in literature there tends to be overly-complicated tech. I personally believe dwarfs love extravagant machines of doom more than anything, I wouldn't have my fort any other way.

yesss... yess extravagant machines of BLOOD AND DEATH for maximum PROFITS!!!

JerBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 12:50:39 pm »

I think the problem here is that while cool, using water to push items is just not very effective.  There's not a real workaround for that.  A good design would be to drop all the items onto a bridge, forbid the crap and melt-designate the stuff you want.  Then once you've sorted a load, dropping whats left to be burned/smashed.  Then reset the system and drop more goblinite onto the bridge.

initially i plan to have water push all the items to where my magma melting area is staged, so i don't have to haul so much crap.
Like an automated assembly line... but i find out items get lost in the washing process... they just disappear.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 01:10:09 pm »

Then reset the system and drop more goblinite onto the bridge.
IDK why, but this sentence led me to a mental image like that:
O==xx==O
where == is a raising bridge, O is a wall and xx is floor. You put gobbos on one bridge (or both), activate it (or both), splatter gobbos over the opposite wall then repeat until all goblins are reduced to paste.

WTF?
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2013, 01:40:51 pm »

O==xx==O
where == is a raising bridge, O is a wall and xx is floor. You put gobbos on one bridge (or both), activate it (or both), splatter gobbos over the opposite wall then repeat until all goblins are reduced to paste.

WTF?
Spoken like an elf who's never played with bridges...

When you retract a bridge, items and creatures are thrown 0-2 tiles away in random directions, and fall straight down.  They do not get sent upwards, nor do they suffer from hitting the wall if they are sent into one.  It's just a mild scatter and immediate fall.

JerBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 04:32:56 pm »

O==xx==O

WTF?

ya as posted above i use retracting bridges, those just act like a ground but disappear when lever pulled

but i DID have a setup in previous fortresses where i have rows of raised bridges (on Z0 ground level, linked to their own levers set to repeated pull, set to raise facing away from my entrance) to fling invading gobo away from my entrance.
basically 3 tile wide entrance with no other way around that fling everying into the air... gobos get send flying everywhere, into the mountains, into ponds then drown. Things just go splat or limp out the map with broken bones everywhere

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 03:08:41 pm »

There is a stockpile/minecart solution.

1) Make sure the goblins die on a bin-less, link-only stockpile that accepts all forms of goblinite, including clothes and corpses. All the stuff will be marked as being part of that stockpile.
2) Set up a minecart route to take the stuff you want up to the stuff-you-want stockpile.
3) Set up a second minecart route that takes the dreck to a track stop that dumps it into your incinerator/crusher.
The point of this system is that dwarves aren't running around with bins in your goblin-dying-area, but only bringing stuff to one of a couple minecarts that is a few tiles away and (usually) grabbing another item right away. I've also found a more temporary version of this very handy for dealing with the aftermath of squads slain by my warriors.

You can, of course, have multiple routes to sort all the stuff you want into various typed piles or even multiple routes for the same stuff if you get so much that it takes several minecart trips. Tracks are entirely optional.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

JerBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 10:10:39 pm »

There is a stockpile/minecart solution.

1) Make sure the goblins die on a bin-less, link-only stockpile that accepts all forms of goblinite, including clothes and corpses. All the stuff will be marked as being part of that stockpile.
2) Set up a minecart route to take the stuff you want up to the stuff-you-want stockpile.
3) Set up a second minecart route that takes the dreck to a track stop that dumps it into your incinerator/crusher.
The point of this system is that dwarves aren't running around with bins in your goblin-dying-area, but only bringing stuff to one of a couple minecarts that is a few tiles away and (usually) grabbing another item right away. I've also found a more temporary version of this very handy for dealing with the aftermath of squads slain by my warriors.

You can, of course, have multiple routes to sort all the stuff you want into various typed piles or even multiple routes for the same stuff if you get so much that it takes several minecart trips. Tracks are entirely optional.

if i understand correctly the dwarfs will still need to haul everything with a stockpile to minecart setup
i want something that automatically sorts out the clothing BEFORE the dwarfs can get their hands on anything

currently im building a magma shower solution, and also a cave moss fire burning solution
i'll post a new thread when i have them working
Pages: 1 [2]