Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any easiest way to retrieve Goblinite minus clothing?  (Read 2896 times)

JerBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any easiest way to retrieve Goblinite minus clothing?
« on: June 02, 2013, 05:50:29 pm »

Hi fellow Dorfs

so i have this trap/kill room to capture and hold goblinite
and an execution room to train the marksdwarfs and civilians, i'll post pictures below..

my questions is, what is the most fastest/efficient/automatic way to retrieve those copper/silver/bronze/iron goblinite (both weapon and armor)
i don't want to do a mass dump d+b+d as the dwarfs will also haul away the useless fiber clothing the goblins are wearing.

I used to just drop them into a kill room with Refuse Pile covering the whole floor, besides the benefit that it'll help rot away the clothes they wore...
i also noticed that it will also rot away even metal armor (but not the weapons)

so now i have a setup where i just let the goblins sit in a quantum cage next to the pit, and after a long while when their clothes rot away with only armor/weapons left,
are dropped onto a retracting bridge for my dwarfs to shoot at.

When the execution is over, the retracting bridge dumps everything (bone bolts, goblinite, clothing, corpses) into the flushing room below.
which has a ramp connected to a water holding area to flush everything into some floor bars then let the water into caverns below.

problem is i noticed how items will disappear when water flush and move them.. sometimes im only left with bone bolts and corpses.
So now i just have atomsmashing bridges covering the whole bottom area....

any ideas fellow dorfs?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 01:27:38 am by JerBear »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Execution Rooms and how to Retrieve Goblinite with the least hassle?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 06:04:45 pm »

If there was anything I'd suggest, its detailed stockpiles, and dump piles, particularly easy with minecarts as they can quantum stockpile on their own.

Once you've killed the goblins through whatever means, and have their bodies lying on a dry floor, put some haulers in.  Airlock doors can do well for this:
Code: [Select]
#####
.DLD.
#####
Walls, Floor, Doors, and Lever.  Or rather, a door and a floodgate would work better, I believe.  Set the lever to be pulled, dwarf runs in through the open door on the right.  The lever locks the door on the right and opens the door on the left.  Pulling the lever again will reverse the order.  This way, you simply have 1 airlock per hauler, and when you want them to move in you set all the levers to be pulled once.  Same for getting them out.

When the haulers are in, have minecarts to the side, set to intake from a stockpile only.  This stockpile should be set for armor and weapons only, probably set to metal only in fact.  The haulers will fill the stockpile, then put the stockpile into the cart, and send it off.  Preferably, this cart will go to the magma forges for melting and reconstruction.  A similar cart can pile in with all the cloth items and corpses, and send it by the magma pit to toss it to burn as it goes, or to push good stuff to the fort to wear, or towards the depot for obvious purposes.

If you don't want to recover the cloth junk, then simply have the haulers exit back through the airlock, then retract the floor so all the junk falls below onto a refuse pile for decay.  Or pour magma.

JerBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Execution Rooms and how to Retrieve Goblinite with the least hassle?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 06:25:11 pm »

If there was anything I'd suggest, its detailed stockpiles, and dump piles, particularly easy with minecarts as they can quantum stockpile on their own.

Once you've killed the goblins through whatever means, and have their bodies lying on a dry floor, put some haulers in.  Airlock doors can do well for this:
#####
.DLD.
#####
Walls, Floor, Doors, and Lever.  Or rather, a door and a floodgate would work better, I believe.  Set the lever to be pulled, dwarf runs in through the open door on the right.  The lever locks the door on the right and opens the door on the left.  Pulling the lever again will reverse the order.  This way, you simply have 1 airlock per hauler, and when you want them to move in you set all the levers to be pulled once.  Same for getting them out.

When the haulers are in, have minecarts to the side, set to intake from a stockpile only.  This stockpile should be set for armor and weapons only, probably set to metal only in fact.  The haulers will fill the stockpile, then put the stockpile into the cart, and send it off.  Preferably, this cart will go to the magma forges for melting and reconstruction.  A similar cart can pile in with all the cloth items and corpses, and send it by the magma pit to toss it to burn as it goes, or to push good stuff to the fort to wear, or towards the depot for obvious purposes.

If you don't want to recover the cloth junk, then simply have the haulers exit back through the airlock, then retract the floor so all the junk falls below onto a refuse pile for decay.  Or pour magma.

if i understand u wholly i think I'm already doing what you suggest except:
1. i only have a single lever bridge to seal off and open the kill room but not doors
2. my for-melting-goblinite stockpile is right next to the magma smelters area
3. i have no stockpile set for goblin's clothing

so the problem is after i pulled the lever to open access to the kill room, claim everything on the ground, dwarfs rush in to grab goblinite, but ALSO grabs the globlin's shitty clothing and wear them ( i think this is due to my clothing industry ONLY produce Cloak, Socks, and Trousers.... i'm working towards having every civilian wear metal armor so they don't ever have to deal with their clothes rot)
Ideally i don't want the dwarfs to even touch the goblin clothing but only the metal armor / weapons.
So now i can only let the goblins sit in cages till their clothes rot... but this is a very very slow process.

any other more automatic way to deal with this?

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any easiest way to retrieve Goblinite minus clothing?
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 06:28:52 pm »

If you're willing to settle for just recovering iron items, there is a solution.  Magma.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 06:32:36 pm »

Well, what's the problem with them wearing garbage?  Sure, it's unseemly, but you can't stop them, it prevents bad thoughts, and it doesn't really generate any more clutter, because whatever they take off and leave in the chamber gets dumped.

If you use the specialized airlocks, you can assign only armored dwarves to the levers, so when they go in they cannot claim clothing.

An alternatively awkward, but fun way would be to muddy the terrain, let moss grow, and then apply 1 tile of magma to the corner so that it burns, which pretty easily destroys items, as well as killing goblins!  Once the grass is all gone, you can collect the metal and corpses, and let the moss regrow.

Requiring more plumbing, but a very brief magma wash can do the same thing.  Particularly, if you do alternating rows of floor tiles and floor grates, then it drains instantly, and you get flash burning that will ignite clothing but only barely damage metals.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 06:35:51 pm »

i was tired of clothing too.  dragon-fire flame turret did a very good job.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

JerBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 06:39:31 pm »

If you're willing to settle for just recovering iron items, there is a solution.  Magma.

haha yes i tried that early on since i embarked on a volcano map.. but my reaction was "where did all my silver goblinite go!??!"
and, i really love to melt copper and bronze goblinite to later send them back to goblins as bolts... something that feels very satisfying.

JerBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 06:50:38 pm »

Well, what's the problem with them wearing garbage?  Sure, it's unseemly, but you can't stop them, it prevents bad thoughts, and it doesn't really generate any more clutter, because whatever they take off and leave in the chamber gets dumped.

If you use the specialized airlocks, you can assign only armored dwarves to the levers, so when they go in they cannot claim clothing.

An alternatively awkward, but fun way would be to muddy the terrain, let moss grow, and then apply 1 tile of magma to the corner so that it burns, which pretty easily destroys items, as well as killing goblins!  Once the grass is all gone, you can collect the metal and corpses, and let the moss regrow.

Requiring more plumbing, but a very brief magma wash can do the same thing.  Particularly, if you do alternating rows of floor tiles and floor grates, then it drains instantly, and you get flash burning that will ignite clothing but only barely damage metals.

mmm yes maybe assigned armor dwarves to lever is the only way to prevent them from collecting and wearing goblin cloth
i guess its my OCD about seeing dwarfs wear dirty goblin clothing when i have an overflow of masterwork rope weed socks.

Lol shit.. flash fire sounds like the best solution!
... i have a 2nd cavern layer with no trees and only cave moss, so imma try build a bunch of walled off goblin processing cells on the cave floor. and rotate cell usage so moss grows back.
you SURE the fire won't burn away any copper/bronze/silver items right?

JerBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 06:54:41 pm »

i was tired of clothing too.  dragon-fire flame turret did a very good job.

wait... then everything burns, doesn't dragonfire melts even iron?

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 07:06:57 pm »

Mass dump into a garbage zone under an atom smasher. All dumped items will be forbidden, preventing dwarves from wearing the offending garments. Go in and unforbid the armor and weapons, and have them moved to a stockpile. Smash the rest.
It's a bit of micromanagement, but saves building a huge, convoluted, inscrutable, resource-intensive kill-dump-drain/melt system.

Although I fail to see the problem with the clothing. Dwarves are in constant need of clothing anyway, and every troll fur sock the goblins bring is one I don't have to manufacture. It's a free lunch.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 07:10:27 pm »

Dragonfire will melt practically any material, but much like regular magma it needs time to melt items.  If the dragon is only breathing on live goblins, then when they all die it'll stop burning the metal.

Regular fire will only ignite flammable items, namely clothing, wood, and coal.  If it does any damage to metal and stone, then it's so little it's never noticed.  You could use alternative fuel, like wooden goblets in a stockpile that forbids bins, so they're spread thinly, but I'm not 100% sure that fire spreads to adjacent items - I know it spreads to adjacent tiles, like grass, but unsure on loose items...

Since you have a volcano, I'd suggest a brief wash.  If you make your kill zone like this:
######
======
=#==#=
======
######
You can have solid pillars surrounded by floor grates (iron, magma safe!) and the upper level covered in the same pattern, except using hatches.  Fill the hatch-level with magma, when they open it'll give a very quick wash of magma onto the floor beneath, which is instantly drained through the grates, to be recycled for more burning, discarded, or pulled into a nice magma mist generator or something.

Granted, that's 3 iron for every tile - the grate, the hatch, and the mechanism in the hatch - but what's stockpiles of metals for if not extravagant death chambers?

NINJA: Loam, why are you against huge, convoluted systems?  Why do you love the elves?  Just tell us, we can provide help...  We care about you man and we don't want to see you go that route.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 07:17:23 pm »

I'm a roleplayer. When I make a fortress, I'm not just trying to make the most long-lived, successful, or efficient fortress; I'm building a fortress for the glory of the Dwarves. I'm building Moria, Erebor, Belegost. I find complex systems interfere with the aesthetic I try to create. So I'm not against them, per se, but I don't use them.

Also, elves once brought me grizzly bears, so I have some respect for them.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 07:19:41 pm »

Magma, it just solves everything...

JerBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 07:38:29 pm »

Mass dump into a garbage zone under an atom smasher. All dumped items will be forbidden, preventing dwarves from wearing the offending garments. Go in and unforbid the armor and weapons, and have them moved to a stockpile. Smash the rest.
It's a bit of micromanagement, but saves building a huge, convoluted, inscrutable, resource-intensive kill-dump-drain/melt system.

Although I fail to see the problem with the clothing. Dwarves are in constant need of clothing anyway, and every troll fur sock the goblins bring is one I don't have to manufacture. It's a free lunch.

well i tried to do the melting from stocks menu as well.. but i find it too micro intensive so im seeking a more streamlined way with minimal input of buttons

JerBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 08:05:35 pm »

Dragonfire will melt practically any material, but much like regular magma it needs time to melt items.  If the dragon is only breathing on live goblins, then when they all die it'll stop burning the metal.

Regular fire will only ignite flammable items, namely clothing, wood, and coal.  If it does any damage to metal and stone, then it's so little it's never noticed.  You could use alternative fuel, like wooden goblets in a stockpile that forbids bins, so they're spread thinly, but I'm not 100% sure that fire spreads to adjacent items - I know it spreads to adjacent tiles, like grass, but unsure on loose items...

Since you have a volcano, I'd suggest a brief wash.  If you make your kill zone like this:
######
======
=#==#=
======
######
You can have solid pillars surrounded by floor grates (iron, magma safe!) and the upper level covered in the same pattern, except using hatches.  Fill the hatch-level with magma, when they open it'll give a very quick wash of magma onto the floor beneath, which is instantly drained through the grates, to be recycled for more burning, discarded, or pulled into a nice magma mist generator or something.

Granted, that's 3 iron for every tile - the grate, the hatch, and the mechanism in the hatch - but what's stockpiles of metals for if not extravagant death chambers?

NINJA: Loam, why are you against huge, convoluted systems?  Why do you love the elves?  Just tell us, we can provide help...  We care about you man and we don't want to see you go that route.

yes I'm also perfectly happy to turn this thread into psychiatric help for fellow dorfs that begins to exhibit elf-loving syndromes ...

i have an overabundance of iron from goblinite so i think a magma death wash chamber would be a perfect way to honor the goblin's selfless behavior of throwing their metal (and themselves) into my fortress. Im gonna try both the cave moss fire plan and the brief magma wash plan and see which works the best with the least amount of maintenance.

seems like a good plan that fits my own current design is:

z0 - magma storage with around 2/7 depth
z1 - 4x12 area with 2x10 retracting bridge in the middle for goblins to flee around
z2 - 4x12 area with 2x10 floor bars/grate in the middle for instant drain

hope this works well
Pages: [1] 2