Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Indian graveyard cleanup plan  (Read 1263 times)

kuniqs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Indian graveyard cleanup plan
« on: June 02, 2013, 04:29:25 pm »

I have 1 giant coffin room full of baby corpses and idiots who forgot their helmet in the danger room. Problem is, an asshole necromancer found his way there and raised everything. After that zombie apocalypse I'm left with thousands of stray body parts that rape my fps pretty badly. I think about purifying it with magma or atom smashing, but I worry about ghosts. How early will they appear (or will they appear?), and will they be slabbable? (I have 1 unmemorizable swordwarf nagging everyone, so when I'll get a murderous ghost it'll be the end).
Do body parts in coffins count toward game calculations? I know caged animals don't, so maybe it's the same thing...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Indian graveyard cleanup plan
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 04:34:00 pm »

Caged animals still count towards calculations.  The thing is, they don't count towards pathfinding because they're not moving.

You have four options for removing items.  1: Magma, 2: Atom Smasher, 3: Map's Edge, via trading or stealing, and 4: SMR.  Magma and Atom Smashers are the most readily available methods.  You have a chance here to test which works best.  Make multiple copies of the save, and try to atom smash some, magmize others, and see which has better FPS afterwards.

ALSO any stockpile which has Refuse enabled will slowly damage items in them, or at least it used to work that way, so try putting a refuse pile and seeing if it'll disappear eventually.  Allegedly this also works if you collect the body parts, then put a stockpile under it.  It's worth testing out.

kuniqs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 03:07:33 am »

Well, I've destroyed everything and got a bit of speedup. The ghosts are a bit unreliable as they appear at random, about 4 in a year. They can be slabbed.
That, and my best military dwarf clogged the garbage chute. And some murderous ghosts pulled out legs from 2 other soldiers.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 12:10:27 pm »

autodump destroy command form df hack after having the body parts tagged for dumping.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 12:50:53 pm »

For future reference, magma doesn't destroy zombies, it only sets them on fire.

This is arguably way worse.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 12:53:27 pm »

Now this is a bit off topic, but what happens if you encase a zombie in a 1x1 room, and then collapse a natural wall on top of it? What about having a LOT of zombies, and smashing them with such a cave in?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 06:06:34 pm »

Pretty damn sure it dies, and stays that way. Even in DF zombies die when you drop enough shit on them.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 07:23:04 pm »

Technically you are correct. I think, though, that OP is trying to deal with still-dead body parts, which would properly burn away in magma, thus correcting the current problem of FPS rape.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.